E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine temp light on!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Vadik17
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Engine temp light on!

I have a 2006 330i. Driving to school this morning the engine temperature light turned on. I pulled over to look if it spilled coolant. Engine was nice and clean so i kept driving. As i kept driving i noticed the car wouldnt go faster than 65. I get to school and pop the hood again. There is some coolant on top of the reservoir. If anyone has some advice or if anyone knows what it going on. Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
Bangladesh
28
Rep
1,507
Posts

Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (4)

How many miles do you have? If your car overheated then you should def not drive it let i cool down for at least 30 min and try to drive it again. If the light come on again its most likely ur waterpump/thermostat.

If you drive with your car overheated you can blow your head gasket which is not cheap
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
63
Rep
1,591
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

That would be your water pump. Change along with your thermostat and you'll be good to go.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
BurnmstrJ
Private First Class
BurnmstrJ's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
That would be your water pump. Change along with your thermostat and you'll be good to go.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Vadik17
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

It just hit 81,000. i had the thermostat replaced in january. after i got to school i let it sit for about an hour. went to check it again and it is extremely low on coolant. My mechanic told me when he was changing the thermostat that the water pump will most likely be the next thing that goes. im hoping its not the issue but if its bad, its bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major
14
Rep
1,356
Posts

Drives: 2008 E 90
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadik17 View Post
It just hit 81,000. i had the thermostat replaced in january. after i got to school i let it sit for about an hour. went to check it again and it is extremely low on coolant. My mechanic told me when he was changing the thermostat that the water pump will most likely be the next thing that goes. im hoping its not the issue but if its bad, its bad.
When you replaced the thermostat why didn't you replace the water pump. They go hand in hand.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
BurnmstrJ
Private First Class
BurnmstrJ's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

I would hope that it is the water pump. Other events that could cause less water is 1. Leaky hoses (Less Likely) 2. Blown Head Gasket (More likely than leaky hoses)

Just a little food for thought that a water pump might cost 80 - 200 bucks while a head gasket would end up costing substantially more.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Vadik17
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
When you replaced the thermostat why didn't you replace the water pump. They go hand in hand.
Idk i didnt have the funds for it and the thermostat needed to go because it failed to open 152 times in the first 2 weeks of me driving it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,421
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
I would hope that it is the water pump. Other events that could cause less water is 1. Leaky hoses (Less Likely) 2. Blown Head Gasket (More likely than leaky hoses)

Just a little food for thought that a water pump might cost 80 - 200 bucks while a head gasket would end up costing substantially more.
Water pump for 80-200 bucks?? Where do i sign up for one? I thought water pumps are like 400 bucks and thermostats can run for about 80. You add labor to that and cost can go as hight as 1,200.00
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #10
sonorous
Private First Class
sonorous's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
121
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
Just a little food for thought that a water pump might cost 80 - 200 bucks while a head gasket would end up costing substantially more.
FYI, an electric BMW water pump cost a lot more than that
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
BurnmstrJ
Private First Class
BurnmstrJ's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Water pump for 80-200 bucks?? Where do i sign up for one? I thought water pumps are like 400 bucks and thermostats can run for about 80. You add labor to that and cost can go as hight as 1,200.00
My fault on the water pump, just thinking of traditional vehicles and clearly I do not drive one of those. If the water pump costs 400 you could still do that on your own. On another note, still if the water pump costs that much a head gasket would be terrible.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
63
Rep
1,591
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
I would hope that it is the water pump. Other events that could cause less water is 1. Leaky hoses (Less Likely) 2. Blown Head Gasket (More likely than leaky hoses)

Just a little food for thought that a water pump might cost 80 - 200 bucks while a head gasket would end up costing substantially more.
Everything in this post is wrong.

Leaky hoses: MUCH more likely to cause coolant loss than a blown HG.

Water pump: $420 starting price for a 330i, usually around $500 for a 335i.

Head gasket: $90-$100 bucks.

That said, a HG job is a lot harder than replacing a water pump.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
BurnmstrJ
Private First Class
BurnmstrJ's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

I already posted in my err. Could three more people please post about my pricing being wrong?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #14
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,421
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Everything in this post is wrong.

Leaky hoses: MUCH more likely to cause coolant loss than a blown HG.

Water pump: $420 starting price for a 330i, usually around $500 for a 335i.

Head gasket: $90-$100 bucks.

That said, a HG job is a lot harder than replacing a water pump.
Yeah this sounds more realistic. Thats what I said 400+ plus thermostat...

Also agree that HG is much higher cost due to labor...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
Bangladesh
28
Rep
1,507
Posts

Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Yeah this sounds more realistic. Thats what I said 400+ plus thermostat...

Also agree that HG is much higher cost due to labor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadik17 View Post
Idk i didnt have the funds for it and the thermostat needed to go because it failed to open 152 times in the first 2 weeks of me driving it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
My fault on the water pump, just thinking of traditional vehicles and clearly I do not drive one of those. If the water pump costs 400 you could still do that on your own. On another note, still if the water pump costs that much a head gasket would be terrible.
I just changed my waterpump and t-stat recently. Parts alone will be around $500. Usually the labor for this type of job is crazy. It can be almost as much as the parts. I dont see why you didn't just have the water pump changed together? Its would have saved you this labor cost. you can DIY but it would be a pain without a lift unless you are pretty experienced.

Add some BMW coolant in there and try driving as a last effort, if it overheats again then its definitely the pump. DO NOT DRIVE IT WHILE ITS OVERHEATING!

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
BoogeyMan'sBMW's Avatar
Bangladesh
28
Rep
1,507
Posts

Drives: SLOW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Queens NY

iTrader: (4)

I think tischer has a special for water pump and t-stat check their website.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
GoRomeo
Colonel
GoRomeo's Avatar
28
Rep
2,421
Posts

Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Diego CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Man, with summer approaching, I am afraid more and more water pumps are going bye bye... we should do a group buy?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
NormE91
Captain
United_States
6
Rep
629
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyMan'sBMW View Post
I think tischer has a special for water pump and t-stat check their website.
Yep, comes with lubricant and a cigarette.

Water pumps on these cars are one of those truly ridiculously priced BMW parts.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
foghat
Captain
Canada
18
Rep
913
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Great White North

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
I already posted in my err. Could three more people please post about my pricing being wrong?
Your pricing is wrong on the water pump. $400-600 for water pump and thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
thecadman99
First Lieutenant
thecadman99's Avatar
10
Rep
379
Posts

Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
I already posted in my err. Could three more people please post about my pricing being wrong?
I just wanted you to know that BMW electric waterpumps for the OP's 330 are more expensive than you indicated above.

Thats one...
__________________
06 330i 6mt Spt- Eibach Springs, BMW Perf Susp, Supersprint Exhaust, BSW Audio
94 325i 5mt 4d- M3 springs/susp, Z3 wheels, Chipped, Intake, Exhaust= FUN!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #21
BurnmstrJ
Private First Class
BurnmstrJ's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: 2008 TiAg 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (0)

One more.....
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
pruettfan
Lieutenant Colonel
25
Rep
1,542
Posts

Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnmstrJ View Post
I would hope that it is the water pump. Other events that could cause less water is 1. Leaky hoses (Less Likely) 2. Blown Head Gasket (More likely than leaky hoses)

Just a little food for thought that a water pump might cost 80 - 200 bucks while a head gasket would end up costing substantially more.
Your facts are wrong. More like 475 for a water pump plus nearly 800 in labor if you have a dealership do it.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST