E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Kinda silly asking here, but here it goes! Audi TT-S or 335i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sao Paulo

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Question Kinda silly asking here, but here it goes! Audi TT-S or 335i

Hi guys, I am on the market for a new car, and I went to Audi, Mercedes and BMW.

I am obviously more prone to buy a BMW, as I love our cars, but I have a 325i with 18K and this is a very reliable car, and looking at this forum, the 335, no matter if it is the N54 or N55, has a lot of stories of failures, being the most common the HPFP failure and to a lesser degree the sunroof exploding.

So I started looking at cars from different manufacturers and I found nothing at Mercedes, and I found this beautiful Silver TT-S at Audi, went to look at their forum, and I don't see a lot of people complaining about it, however I went to the dealership yesterday,and I told the salesperson that I would like to spend some time with the car on my own.

I sat in the car, and then I start counting the features that the 335i has and the TTS doesn't and it goes like this:

1. No comfort access, not even a button to start, you need a friggin key.
2. A/C has only one zone
3. No seats memory, nor side mirrors memory.
4. No Active steering
5. No Adaptive headlights
6. No high beams sensor

On a positive note, the engine has 272 HP, the car weight around 2700 lbs. It is an all wheel drive and it really is a pleasure to drive.

Have you guys had any experience with Audi, in particular with the TT-S or TT that you would able to share and shed some light on my decision making process.

Any comment would be highly appreciated.
Jns2001 is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
Tee212
Banned
 
Drives: yes
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Riverside

Posts: 4,545
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2010 335  [4.00]
Send a message via AIM to Tee212 Send a message via MSN to Tee212
Did you test drive them all? The audi's have some very attractive stylin cars/lights but for some reason those TT's look very girly?
Tee212 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #3
David9962000
Lieutenant
 
David9962000's Avatar
 
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: USA

Posts: 548
iTrader: (1)

The 3 is also easier to live with back seats and I like RWD cars. The TT S is a lot of money for a car that's based on a Golf too.
David9962000 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

I like TTS. Its a tough choice. Need to test drive both. 3-series are everywhere, TTS on the other hand are not. Excellent motor, good MPG, adaptive suspension (i think), center LSD....

I wanted to buy one, but they only have/had automatic (or dsg...whatever its called) in USA
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
 
Drives: 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington DC

Posts: 7,907
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
Your 325i has only 18K miles? I don't understand why you would consider switching cars now. But FWIW I like both the Audi and the BMW. If you are looking at the E90 335i and your 325i with 18K miles is an E9x, I have to wonder what's the point with switching now. The Audi would at least be something different, and the BMW is imminently due to be replaced with a new model.

If push-button start, dual zone A/C, mirror memory, high beam sensor, and so on are important to you, it seems like your decision is easy. For many of us, those things are not important at all; we'd pick the car that drove better. But I can't help but think you're probably best off keeping your car that only has 18K miles for a while. Maybe look at the new 3-er when it comes out next year, at the soonest.
__________________

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
RX7guy
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 e92 335i, 93 rx7
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 294
iTrader: (1)

The 1M coupe just beat the TT-RS in a comparison. (same motor as the 335i)


The TT-S is weak, only like 260hp and expensive.

Also, this is a BMW forum so what do you think we'd choose?

The TT competes more with the Z4 or 1 series. The A4 or A5 competes with the 335i


**** THE TT-S is around 3400 lbs, not sure where you got 2700 lbs from.. I wish!!!
__________________
93 RX-7 464 rwhp
07 335i e92 Alpine White / Coral Red - SOLD

Last edited by RX7guy; 05-26-2011 at 02:46 PM.
RX7guy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Never-Enough
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 335xi E90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 1,038
iTrader: (19)

TT is a chick car
Never-Enough is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7guy View Post
The 1M coupe just beat the TT-RS in a comparison. (same motor as the 335i)


The TT-S is weak, only like 260hp and expensive.

Also, this is a BMW forum so what do you think we'd choose?

The TT competes more with the Z4 or 1 series. The A4 or A5 competes with the 335i


**** THE TT-S is around 3400 lbs, not sure where you got 2700 lbs from.. I wish!!!

TTS has 265HP and is 3240lbs. 335i is a bit faster then TTS. 335i is RWD and TTS is AWD. 335i does not have LSD, TTS does. both can be tuned. TTS probably more reliable.

I would like to see that comparison...have a link ?

edit: if going by this review, then TT-S is a bit faster and handles better.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...mw_135i_page_2

Last edited by Kolyan2k; 05-26-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Dr. Nate
Nate Dogg
 
Drives: 2011 328i Saloon
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 438
iTrader: (0)

I personally would take the 335 because you get a decent back seat, a decent trunk, and you still have a good power plant under the hood. I agree that the TT does come off as a chick car, and I feel really cramped when sitting in one.

-Nate
__________________
2011 BMW 328i by weekend, various airplanes by week.
Dr. Nate is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
RaceBlood
Going nowhere fast.
 
RaceBlood's Avatar
 
Drives: 2 wheels
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Downtown

Posts: 2,243
iTrader: (0)

The TT is a small AWD car with no rear seat or trunk to speak of, the 335i is coupe with elements of trunk/rear seats and RWD, so not even apples and apples.

I assume you want a manual?
RaceBlood is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

I have a 335xi

Would never do all wheel drive again if I didn't live in an igloo
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
shockin330i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: blue
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: f y'all, I'm from Texas (RGV)

Posts: 4,192
iTrader: (1)

Two very different cars
__________________
ERnie 2011 AW/e90/n55 12.9@107.53mph
*N55 Moderator*
I'm crawling similar to a ant cuz I'm low to the earth
shockin330i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 16,413
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Two very different cars
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sao Paulo

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Guys, I asked on this forum because I want to make an informed decision, I have a 2008 E90 325i Auto. I want something more powerful and that handles equal or better than my current car. I don't have a shitload of money nor I want to finance the car, I will buy it and that leaves me with limited options price wise. The logical path if it was a reliable car would go and buy the 335, they are discounting the car heavily due to the change in MY, from 2011 to 2012 and there are quite a few in the lot of the dealers around where I live. The second option would be the M3, but I can't afford a new one now, so it is not on the list.

I have looked at the comparos between the TTS and the 335i, and the TTS goes faster. One thing in favor of the TTS is the DSG tranny that is really fast, M3 fast, in changing gears.

But I also heard several times that a TTS is a girlie car, the secretary's car, Motor Trend call it "The poor's man boxster" and the adjectives are a lot.

Not purchasing is not an option, I want a new car and I am confused as fuck on where to put my sweaty money and living with it for the next 2/3 years.

BTW, I don't feel offended with your opinions, even the negative ones, it makes me think. Thanks for those that chimed in. Now back to this frigging spreadsheet, closing the month (business related).
Jns2001 is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
CAPSGOD
Major
 
Drives: Diesel Son
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: #yolo

Posts: 1,136
iTrader: (0)

It is simply not a practical car so depends on what your needs are. The base TT has as much torque as the TT-S now, I think it's a better deal.


FWIW I dont judge people from the car they drive.
CAPSGOD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #16
FVM3
Major General
 
FVM3's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 5,710
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
The 3 is also easier to live with back seats and I like RWD cars. The TT S is a lot of money for a car that's based on a Golf too.
+1
FVM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #17
Kolyan2k
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 S2000
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 3,918
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jns2001 View Post
Guys, I asked on this forum because I want to make an informed decision, I have a 2008 E90 325i Auto. I want something more powerful and that handles equal or better than my current car. I don't have a shitload of money nor I want to finance the car, I will buy it and that leaves me with limited options price wise. The logical path if it was a reliable car would go and buy the 335, they are discounting the car heavily due to the change in MY, from 2011 to 2012 and there are quite a few in the lot of the dealers around where I live. The second option would be the M3, but I can't afford a new one now, so it is not on the list.

I have looked at the comparos between the TTS and the 335i, and the TTS goes faster. One thing in favor of the TTS is the DSG tranny that is really fast, M3 fast, in changing gears.

But I also heard several times that a TTS is a girlie car, the secretary's car, Motor Trend call it "The poor's man boxster" and the adjectives are a lot.

Not purchasing is not an option, I want a new car and I am confused as fuck on where to put my sweaty money and living with it for the next 2/3 years.

BTW, I don't feel offended with your opinions, even the negative ones, it makes me think. Thanks for those that chimed in. Now back to this frigging spreadsheet, closing the month (business related).
Poor man's Boxster thats funny considering Boxster is a poor man's Porsche

ps. If you dont have money to throw around, why not buy used. There is no need to take $7-10k depreciation loss the very first year.
Kolyan2k is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #18
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
 
1Sleeper's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 997tt, Jeep
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where I need to be

Posts: 384
iTrader: (1)

I like the TTS a lot. Very nice inside, although as others have said smaller. Gotten good reviews. 335 and TTS are different, but I looked at one before I got the 335 so I get the cross shop. I just thought it was a little expensive for what it was. S4 in the price range as well, would give you more space, 4 driven wheels and plenty of go. My 335 has been a lot of fun. No regrets. The girly car argument is probably relevant for a certain demographic, I guess. Personally, well, less so. A VW Bug is a chick car but if they put some kind of crazy good motor in one, I'd rock a Bug.
1Sleeper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
RBinDC
Private
 
Drives: 335is coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7guy View Post
The 1M coupe just beat the TT-RS in a comparison. (same motor as the 335i)
Not quite. The TT-RS blew away the 1M based on objective data (0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds! That blows away the M3! See: http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...29515ea9e2.pdf

The 1M edged out the TT-RS based on the reviewer's subjective rating of the Bimmer's suspension and grip. But he also said the 1M was harder to drive well. For the average guy driving on public streets the TT-RS looks like the better choice based on it remarkable straight line performance. Audi has done a great job with this little toymobile.

That said, I would not buy the TT-RS because it's a 2-passenger vehicle. That back seat is all but useless. In addition, the TT-RS MSRP is way too expensive and Audi dealers do not discount like BMW dealers do.

I agree with others; the OP should keep his current ride for a year until the new Bimmers come out. BMW is now playing catch-up with Audi. The e9x chassis is old compared to the new Audis.
RBinDC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sao Paulo

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
TTS has 265HP and is 3240lbs. 335i is a bit faster then TTS. 335i is RWD and TTS is AWD. 335i does not have LSD, TTS does. both can be tuned. TTS probably more reliable.

I would like to see that comparison...have a link ?

edit: if going by this review, then TT-S is a bit faster and handles better.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/co...mw_135i_page_2
Do you know how much a 335 weights?
Jns2001 is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 325i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sao Paulo

Posts: 268
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBinDC View Post
Not quite. The TT-RS blew away the 1M based on objective data (0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds! That blows away the M3! See: http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezfl...29515ea9e2.pdf

The 1M edged out the TT-RS based on the reviewer's subjective rating of the Bimmer's suspension and grip. But he also said the 1M was harder to drive well. For the average guy driving on public streets the TT-RS looks like the better choice based on it remarkable straight line performance. Audi has done a great job with this little toymobile.

That said, I would not buy the TT-RS because it's a 2-passenger vehicle. That back seat is all but useless. In addition, the TT-RS MSRP is way too expensive and Audi dealers do not discount like BMW dealers do.

I agree with others; the OP should keep his current ride for a year until the new Bimmers come out. BMW is now playing catch-up with Audi. The e9x chassis is old compared to the new Audis.
The seats in the back are fine, I took my twins (5 years old) last saturday and the girls loved how cozy they were in the back seat, when we got home and asked them what car would they buy, Izzy (one of the twins) said that she would buy "the ladybug" which is the TTS, that made me laugh.... Second, my wife has a SUV and we can always ride on her car, what makes me wonder is how my co-workers will look at it...I am 42 y.o. and crazy about cars.
Jns2001 is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #22
RBinDC
Private
 
Drives: 335is coupe
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bethesda, MD

Posts: 61
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jns2001 View Post
Guys, I asked on this forum because I want to make an informed decision, I have a 2008 E90 325i Auto. I want something more powerful and that handles equal or better than my current car. I don't have a shitload of money nor I want to finance the car, I will buy it and that leaves me with limited options price wise. The logical path if it was a reliable car would go and buy the 335, they are discounting the car heavily due to the change in MY, from 2011 to 2012 and there are quite a few in the lot of the dealers around where I live. The second option would be the M3, but I can't afford a new one now, so it is not on the list.

I have looked at the comparos between the TTS and the 335i, and the TTS goes faster. One thing in favor of the TTS is the DSG tranny that is really fast, M3 fast, in changing gears.

But I also heard several times that a TTS is a girlie car, the secretary's car, Motor Trend call it "The poor's man boxster" and the adjectives are a lot.

Not purchasing is not an option, I want a new car and I am confused as fuck on where to put my sweaty money and living with it for the next 2/3 years.

BTW, I don't feel offended with your opinions, even the negative ones, it makes me think. Thanks for those that chimed in. Now back to this frigging spreadsheet, closing the month (business related).
Is the TTS faster than a 335i? It is not the TT-RS. While it is 10% lighter than than an e92 coupe it has more than 10 percent less horsepower and torque. Furthermore, it comes with the s-tronic transmission, not the DCT, which Audi is not bringing into the US (at least not soon).

Look into a CPO 335i or an M3 (if you can spend $50,000). The M3 will probably hold its value better and doesn't have the HPFP problem.
RBinDC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST