E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Road Trip - Service Engine Soon - Hesitation

05-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

taibanl if you look at the Fault Codes blog, i posted a pic of a clogged exhaust due to the UREA, the BMW Diesel mechanic asked if I used additives i told him YES i did, he said keep continuing using it otherwise, I would of had this issue earlier than expected!!
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Puerto Rican 335d is offline   Puerto Rico
      05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
taibanl
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I dont have a personal opinion on the issue. Powerservice states their additive is safe for all late model ULSD engines however I also have the BMW bulletin which states that additives may cause metallic byproducts of combustion which will clog DPF.
      05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #25
AzureHaze
Major

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Has any additive users even had a problem with dealerships/warranty when there was an issue with their vehicle? Don't think I've seen a single post so I can't see why using it would hurt.
AzureHaze is offline   United_States
      05-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #26
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

I havent had issue here in Puerto Rico as of yet and they know i use AMSOIL, as a matter of fact the BMW Diesel Mechanic encouraged to use it. I guess he knows more than me!!! on this.
      05-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #27
TDIwyse
Captain

Drives: 2011 335d

With the Bavarian Technic tool one can look at the status of the injector adaptation values and the DPF condition (see attached for example data). This tool is incredibly useful for monitoring and trouble shooting this complex of a vehicle.

One of the ways the car does its smooth running adaptations is described in the technical documents linked in other threads. Seems to describe scenarios between 1500-2500 rpm's in an over run situation where the DDE will do this thing where it adds fuel through an individual injector and check the rpm rise. It tries to balance flow rates through all the injectors with this calibration technique. On my car its most noticeable during cold starts before the transmission is warmed up enough to start locking the torque converter. And seems to happen most often in the first 1-2 minutes of a drive. Also most noticeable on cold days. It sometimes acts like a hesitation or even a surge depending on where/how I'm driving and if its doing its adaptation routine at that time.

As a side note, I've used Power Service in all my diesels for the last ~15 yrs. Monitoring the DPF status on the 335d for the last 2.5 yrs shows it still functioning well, with pressure drop across the DPF of only ~3psi under full fueling situations with a heavily modified vehicle.
Attached Images

05-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #28
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel

yep if TDIwyse suggets it you use, then USE IT!!, he's one our DIESEL experts here, he uses PowerService and i use AMSOIL either one is good I cant speak for other companies though.