E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > E90 335d



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

E90 335d

Hi everyone..this is my first post so please go easy...looking forward to lots of endless forum banter from you lot..
I'm seriously thinking about getting a 08-09 e90 m3 dct but as I've moved further away from work I be doing around 50miles a day & the m3 won't be a sensible choice due to the cost in filling her up..
My 2nd alternative is a e90 335d lci msport & remapping it..would mapped 335d be similar performance to a e46 m3??
Would like to here from standard & modded 335d owners
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Sorry everyone,forget to say hello at the welcome section
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Danny.B.'s Avatar
30
Rep
1,569
Posts

Drives: E90 330d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England - Lincolnshire

iTrader: (1)

Hi Dan

Welcome along mate! Nice choices of car there, i have a mapped 330d which should be as quick if not marginally quicker than a stock 335d and its great fun when i need it to be, and still does me 50+mpg so its the best of both worlds, id love to try a 335d though, mapped up they can be 350bhp, so i should say e46 m3s wouldnt be a problem!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
109
Rep
6,849
Posts

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
Hi Dan

Welcome along mate! Nice choices of car there, i have a mapped 330d which should be as quick if not marginally quicker than a stock 335d and its great fun when i need it to be, and still does me 50+mpg so its the best of both worlds, id love to try a 335d though, mapped up they can be 350bhp, so i should say e46 m3s wouldnt be a problem!

In a straight line an E92 335d once remapped will whip an E46 M3.

But around a track, without serious transmission/suspension mods - the M will win the battle.

Un mapped, the M is the quicker car in all scenario's.

A heavily tuned 330d will get high 40s on a motorway run at about 305-310bhp (higher than a stock 335d).

The "perfect compromise" is the 330d, the 335d being brilliant but a bit more thirsty. For example I did a run from home to Birmingham the other day at around 80-85mph average (on the private road I own running parallel to the motorways you understand) and got 35 mpg average. It'll get over 40 if you keep it at 70 though.

HTH / Welcome to the forum.

I'd strongly recommend the 335d though!
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
anielsen71
Captain
Denmark
8
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: E91 330dA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Naestved, Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
@Mega
You don't need to tune a 330d heavily to achive 300-310Hp. I have a bigger FMIC and removed the DPF on mine and a remap. It gives me 307hp/687nm.....
That's not heavily modified in my book ;-)

@Dan
As the other Guys says....You can rach the same amount of power in the d's but it will never be an M car.......Of course, that doesn't meen it isn't fun to drive :-)
__________________
Brgds
Allan
'06 E91 330dA Sparkling Graphite|19" AvantGarde M359 Satin Black|335i brakes|Eibach|Wagner|Ecotune|Turbo Dynamics
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
109
Rep
6,849
Posts

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anielsen71 View Post
@Mega
You don't need to tune a 330d heavily to achive 300-310Hp. I have a bigger FMIC and removed the DPF on mine and a remap. It gives me 307hp/687nm.....
That's not heavily modified in my book ;-)
By heavily I meant an aggressive map. You can half a "calm" remap with other mods and achieve it easy.

With yours I'm surprised you couldn't push 320 or more!
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
anielsen71
Captain
Denmark
8
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: E91 330dA
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Naestved, Denmark

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I have not seen more than 300-310 with those modifications. As far as I know you need another turbo and/or other inejctors to get higher. (Turbo is ordered and on the way... ;-))
__________________
Brgds
Allan
'06 E91 330dA Sparkling Graphite|19" AvantGarde M359 Satin Black|335i brakes|Eibach|Wagner|Ecotune|Turbo Dynamics
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Cheers for the reply folks...if i get a 335d,thinking of getting a Wagner ic & ecotune sportscat but still thinking about who to go for remapping as there are loads out there..decisions,decisions..anybody heard or been to performance torque..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Forget to mention that for handling,will either get some lowering springs(h&r or eibach springs) or go the full monty & get a bilsteinb14 kit..will ditch the runflats as I keep on seeing they are sh@t in magazines & Internet forums
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
markymark34
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 2007 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NI

iTrader: (0)

I have owned both an e46 m3 and a 330d (standard and remapped).
http://tinypic.com/r/345ex46/5 not a great pic but all i could find!

Loved the m3, what a fantastic car, so well balanced. It was a joy to drive other than the awful smg gearbox. A standard 330d is dead in the water but remapped even though it pains me to say it, the 330d isnt far off. I had an 06 330d m sport remapped. It was a superb car. In the real world it was nearly as quick to drive, even the handling wasnt far off with 19"
Ive driven a remapped 335d and i agree with above its easily a match for the m3 whilst returning at least 10mpg more. The only downsides are your never going to get the same feeling from the diesel as you will from the m3.
Have you considered a 335i? Cracking value at the minute.

If i was you i would probably go remapped LCI M sport 330d manual but thats my personal choice. cracking cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark34 View Post
I have owned both an e46 m3 and a 330d (standard and remapped).
http://tinypic.com/r/345ex46/5 not a great pic but all i could find!

Loved the m3, what a fantastic car, so well balanced. It was a joy to drive other than the awful smg gearbox. A standard 330d is dead in the water but remapped even though it pains me to say it, the 330d isnt far off. I had an 06 330d m sport remapped. It was a superb car. In the real world it was nearly as quick to drive, even the handling wasnt far off with 19"
Ive driven a remapped 335d and i agree with above its easily a match for the m3 whilst returning at least 10mpg more. The only downsides are your never going to get the same feeling from the diesel as you will from the m3.
Have you considered a 335i? Cracking value at the minute.

If i was you i would probably go remapped LCI M sport 330d manual but thats my personal choice. cracking cars.
Hi mate..looked at Internet eg auto trader,pistonheads,bmw & there isn't much 335i with a n54 engine to chose from..most probably I be sticking to my guns & get a 335d
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
In a straight line an E92 335d once remapped will whip an E46 M3.

But around a track, without serious transmission/suspension mods - the M will win the battle.

Un mapped, the M is the quicker car in all scenario's.

A heavily tuned 330d will get high 40s on a motorway run at about 305-310bhp (higher than a stock 335d).

The "perfect compromise" is the 330d, the 335d being brilliant but a bit more thirsty. For example I did a run from home to Birmingham the other day at around 80-85mph average (on the private road I own running parallel to the motorways you understand) and got 35 mpg average. It'll get over 40 if you keep it at 70 though.

HTH / Welcome to the forum.

I'd strongly recommend the 335d though!
Hi mega..what do you mean by transmission mods??
Also what suspension mods you recommend mate
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
$pringy
Second Lieutenant
$pringy's Avatar
United Kingdom
2
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: E91
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

335d is defo more thirsty than 330d, mine has seen 17mpg once
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
Dan930
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 3series
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Would like to know does a remapped 335d have power all the way to the redline? Or the power dies down after 4k?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #15
skelts
Lieutenant
skelts's Avatar
9
Rep
529
Posts

Drives: Audi RS5
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan930 View Post
Would like to know does a remapped 335d have power all the way to the redline? Or the power dies down after 4k?
335d is more low down power with the torque and will die down towards the higher rev range. If your looking for power high end i would go for the 335i plus you cant beat the sound
__________________
E63 M6 - Matte Metallic Blue, BC Forged HB29's, Eisenmann Race Exhaust - SOLD

Audi RS5 - BMW WHO?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #16
BMW335D88
Private
0
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: chicago.il

iTrader: (1)

hello ... i am Angel and i got a 09 335d ... what you think about JBD??
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
392
Rep
29,297
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Mega is actually wrong.. I've owned both (remapped 335d and E46 M3)

A remapped 335d wouldn't "whip" my M3 in a straight line that's for sure..

Ive trapped higher in my M3 than I have in my 335d... Doesn't feel as fast but certainly is.

Obviously talking straight line!


Also the diesel won't give 10mpg more than the M3, in my case both driven hard there is only a 3-4mpg difference.

It's harder to extract performance from the M3, but it is just as quick as a tunes 335d in a straight line and would murder one on any given country road.

They just need winding up properly.... And 99% of M3 owners really don't do that...
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
xs2man
Captain
xs2man's Avatar
9
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (2)

Got a mapped 2010 335d M-Sport Touring I'm thinking of getting rid of if your interested, lol.
__________________
530d M-Sport Touring.

Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #19
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
76
Rep
4,637
Posts

Drives: Modified Alpine White E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (2)

Carl you should come to the Northern Meet so that you and Dave can 'throw down' to see who emerges victorious!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:48 PM   #20
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
109
Rep
6,849
Posts

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan930 View Post
Hi mega..what do you mean by transmission mods??
Also what suspension mods you recommend mate
A proper diff, rather than the rubbish one the car comes with (compared to the proper diff on M3). Quaife LTB or etc.

No idea about the suspension! As I've not changed mine. Sure loads on here can comment.
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
109
Rep
6,849
Posts

Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Mega is actually wrong.. I've owned both (remapped 335d and E46 M3)

A remapped 335d wouldn't "whip" my M3 in a straight line that's for sure..

Ive trapped higher in my M3 than I have in my 335d... Doesn't feel as fast but certainly is.

Obviously talking straight line!


Also the diesel won't give 10mpg more than the M3, in my case both driven hard there is only a 3-4mpg difference.

It's harder to extract performance from the M3, but it is just as quick as a tunes 335d in a straight line and would murder one on any given country road.

They just need winding up properly.... And 99% of M3 owners really don't do that...
Yes mate as Matt said come to NM5 and we'll have a wee drag
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
392
Rep
29,297
Posts

Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I'd love to mate. Ill check the diary.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:23 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST