Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Fake Rims?? Help!



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
View Poll Results: Are they fake?
Yes 2 66.67%
No 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Fake Rims?? Help!

Hey guys I ordered these style '193' M sport rims from Discount Tire last fall (because they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealership). I have had them on since about October. I was doing some detailing tonight and noticed some chips on almost every wheel.
I had never noticed anything like that on my other BMW rims after 5 years of use.
Do you guys think it's just road debris or do you think I got a set of fake rims?
Attached Images
   
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,260
iTrader: (0)

Is there any kinda part number behind the wheel or BMW logo etc?
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
telewebby
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: lowandslow320i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: warwickshire

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

take it they are non genuine bmw wheels? they look like chips in the paint caused by stones etc

alex
telewebby is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoBlueE90 View Post
Is there any kinda part number behind the wheel or BMW logo etc?
Well the logos are just the caps off my other rims, but I'm getting ready to do a brake job so I'll have to look for the number. Do you know where the number would be?
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by telewebby View Post
take it they are non genuine bmw wheels? they look like chips in the paint caused by stones etc

alex
They were sold to me as genuine OEM wheels so I assumed I was getting what I paid for.
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
FormerRotor
Major
 
FormerRotor's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

Posts: 1,462
iTrader: (4)

Take the wheel off and look for the stamping on the inside of the wheel. My OEM wheels do have a few minor nicks in the paint such as these, but nothing quite as large as those shown...could just be because we drive different roads though. All it takes is one nasty patch of gravel. tHe paint color and form of the wheel looks pretty OE to me, but not enough pics to tell. Dd you buy reman wheels or new?
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
FormerRotor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #7
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
 
MonacoBlueE90's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW E90 Pre-LCI
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Europe

Posts: 2,260
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianOnly View Post
Well the logos are just the caps off my other rims, but I'm getting ready to do a brake job so I'll have to look for the number. Do you know where the number would be?
It's probably behind one of the spokes or the center. Also It should say BMW somewhere too. There is also the wheel specs, but those can be found on replica wheels too.
__________________
MonacoBlueE90 is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
joec500
Brigadier General
 
Drives: it has 4 wheels
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 3,004
iTrader: (10)

I would get some wurth silver wheel paint to touch those up so they don't spread
__________________
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
joec500 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
 
1QuikWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

Posts: 4,452
iTrader: (81)

Garage List
I have been dealing with Discount Tire Direct for at least 20 yrs, and have never personally seen them selling OEM BMW rims (or any other car mfg. OEM rims for that matter) - they are all aftermarket. Frankly, I can't remember them even selling BMW OEM Rep, or remanufactured OEM BMW wheels?

And I have never had a DTD sales tech state that any of the rims I am buying are OEM

I have purchased MANY sets of tires thru them, and aftermarket wheels for my cars thru the yrs - including the aftermarket rims I use on my BMW for my winter setup.

>> Your 1st clue should have been the words 'OEM' and '(because they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealership)' in the same sentence - in the real world that simply does not happen. Cheapest you will find NEW, OEM rims on this forum is either Tischer, or possibly for sale by a forum member in classifieds.

>> You can get OEM 'STYLE' Rep wheels for cheaper (emphasis on the 'STYLE' - which means they LOOK like OEM, but they aren't OEM) & you can get 'REMANUFACTURED' (OEM wheels that are straightened if necessary, repainted, etc) to make them as brand new from companies that specialize in this...

>> With that being said, I have OEM BMW 193M wheels in staggered setup on my 328. These wheels are made in (2) different colors from BMW - Silver & Ferric Gray. I have the Silver.

>> On the backside of the wheel, there is info cast into the backsides of EVERY double spoke pair (see attached pics for examples). Some of the info includes:
  • the word 'Germany'
  • the last 7 digits of the BMW part number '7843839' & '7843841' in my case
  • the size - '8Jx8' & '8Jx8.5' in my case for staggered
  • the color 'Silber' in my case
  • the lettering 'BMW' followed by the offset 'IS 34' & 'IS 37' in my case

You prolly can't make out the exact wording from my pics - but it gives you an idea of the amount of info that is cast in. If your wheels don't look like this, with all this info cast in - then they aren't OEM wheels.

Also, notice the number '13' cast in to the outer face in the front pics

(Ignore the black lettering 'BMW Performance' in the front pic - that is not on the 193M OEM wheels - I had those decals made to match my OEM Style 313 wheels I have)


>> You have to be VERY careful when reading wheel descriptions - BMW uses wording such as 'STYLE 193M' while rep wheel companies will call them '193M STYLE' the difference is subtle, and in the order of the wording, but it makes all the difference.

BMW OEM 193M wheel part numbers are as follows:

36118036933 LIGHT ALLOY RIM SILVER - 8JX18 ET:34
36118036934 LIGHT ALLOY RIM SILVER - 81/2JX18 ET:37

36117843839 LIGHT ALLOY RIM FERRICGREY - 8JX18 ET:34
36117843841 LIGHT ALLOY RIM FERRICGREY - 81/2JX18 ET:37


I have seen chipping on aftermarket wheels such as you are showing - it is usually due to the inferior quality of the paint job - again, you get what you pay for

I do NOT have such chipping on my 193M OEM wheels, but then again, I don't drive thru shitstorms of stones/gravel either.











__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 04-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
I would get some wurth silver wheel paint to touch those up so they don't spread
I was looking at the 'Wurth' alloy silver wheel touch up so that's probably what I'll go with, maybe it'll add some degree of clear coat.
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
 
1QuikWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

Posts: 4,452
iTrader: (81)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianOnly View Post
I was looking at the 'Wurth' alloy silver wheel touch up so that's probably what I'll go with, maybe it'll add some degree of clear coat.
The color code for the OEM Silver on 193M wheels is '144' Wheel Silver Metallic.

The OEM touchup paint comes with (2) bottles (1) Basecoat (1) Clearcoat. Part Number is 51 91 0 427 864. It is type with little brush in cap - not spray.

OEM wheels are 2 stage base/clear. If you simply spray over all it's not gonna look good + theres's no way you will fill in chips with spray. You would need to sand chip areas smooth 1st.

Best bet for chips is the touchup paint I described.

Of course, that code is for OEM wheels, if your wheels are not OEM, it's anyone's guess as to the paint code used. But it might be close...
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
I have been dealing with Discount Tire Direct for at least 20 yrs, and have never personally seen them selling OEM BMW rims (or any other car mfg. OEM rims for that matter) - they are all aftermarket. Frankly, I can't remember them even selling BMW OEM Rep, or remanufactured OEM BMW wheels?

And I have never had a DTD sales tech state that any of the rims I am buying are OEM

I have purchased MANY sets of tires thru them, and aftermarket wheels for my cars thru the yrs - including the aftermarket rims I use on my BMW for my winter setup.

>> Your 1st clue should have been the words 'OEM' and '(because they were a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealership)' in the same sentence - in the real world that simply does not happen. Cheapest you will find NEW, OEM rims on this forum is either Tischer, or possibly for sale by a forum member in classifieds.

>> You can get OEM 'STYLE' Rep wheels for cheaper (emphasis on the 'STYLE' - which means they LOOK like OEM, but they aren't OEM) & you can get 'REMANUFACTURED' (OEM wheels that are straightened if necessary, repainted, etc) to make them as brand new from companies that specialize in this...

>> With that being said, I have OEM BMW 193M wheels in staggered setup on my 328. These wheels are made in (2) different colors from BMW - Silver & Ferric Gray. I have the Silver.

>> On the backside of the wheel, there is info cast into the backsides of EVERY double spoke pair (see attached pics for examples). Some of the info includes:
  • the word 'Germany'
  • the last 7 digits of the BMW part number '7843839' & '7843841' in my case
  • the size - '8Jx8' & '8Jx8.5' in my case for staggered
  • the color 'Silber' in my case
  • the lettering 'BMW' followed by the offset 'ET 34' & 'ET 37' in my case

You prolly can't make out the exact wording from my pics - but it gives you an idea of the amount of info that is cast in. If your wheels don't look like this, with all this info cast in - then they aren't OEM wheels.

Also, notice the number '13' cast in to the outer face in the front pics

(Ignore the black lettering 'BMW Performance' in the front pic - that is not on the 193M OEM wheels - I had those decals made to match my OEM Style 313 wheels I have)


>> You have to be VERY careful when reading wheel descriptions - BMW uses wording such as 'STYLE 193M' while rep wheel companies will call them '193M STYLE' the difference is subtle, and in the order of the wording, but it makes all the difference.

BMW OEM 193M wheel part numbers are as follows:

36118036933 LIGHT ALLOY RIM SILVER - 8JX18 ET:34
36118036934 LIGHT ALLOY RIM SILVER - 81/2JX18 ET:37

36117843839 LIGHT ALLOY RIM FERRICGREY - 8JX18 ET:34
36117843841 LIGHT ALLOY RIM FERRICGREY - 81/2JX18 ET:37


I have seen chipping on aftermarket wheels such as you are showing - it is usually due to the inferior quality of the paint job - again, you get what you pay for

I do NOT have such chipping on my 193M OEM wheels, but then again, I don't drive thru shitstorms of stones/gravel either.











Thanks a ton, that was really helpful, I'll pull 'em off and reference yours.
There's no turning back now, I'll just have to respray them and maintain them.
So far, mine match yours exactly, even the cast-in 13 on the front, only the back side will tell.
But I'm sure there's something fishy about them, my other rims for my 330 and my X5 are 100% OEM rims and both have a certain twinkle that the 193s don't have.
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

>> On the backside of the wheel, there is info cast into the backsides of EVERY double spoke pair (see attached pics for examples). Some of the info includes:
  • the word 'Germany'
  • the last 7 digits of the BMW part number '7843839' & '7843841' in my case
  • the size - '8Jx8' & '8Jx8.5' in my case for staggered
  • the color 'Silber' in my case
  • the lettering 'BMW' followed by the offset 'ET 34' & 'ET 37' in my case

To my surpass mine says 'silber' 'Germany' 'BMW' with the 'IS 34' following. There's more obviously but that stuff was reassuring.

And I triple checked, it's BMW, not BWM or 8MW
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
 
1QuikWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

Posts: 4,452
iTrader: (81)

Garage List
Sounds like you got the real thing

And yes, mine says 'IS 34' also for the offset, was just a matter of habit that I typed ET 34, I corrected my original post
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #15
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 13,395
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Sounds like they're OEM wheels. As far as the chipping goes, that could be caused by a few different things. Most likely it's from road debris, like rock chips and whatnot.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | f. facebook.com/vmrwheels i. instagram.com/vmrwheels
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
BavarianOnly
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E90, E36 ///M3, E70 X5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Indianana

Posts: 38
iTrader: (0)

UPDATE: I'm sending them back to Discount Tire who's sending them back to Coast to Coast and they're restoring and resurfacing them. Thanks for the help, guys!
BavarianOnly is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
 
1QuikWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blitzburgh, PA

Posts: 4,452
iTrader: (81)

Garage List
good deal
__________________
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
rims, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST