E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > wastegate issues n54

04-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
omgsorr

Drives: 08 335xi

wastegate issues n54

so I've finally got to the point where my wastegate rattle is really annoying and want to take to bmw service. issue I'm having is actually going to service department due to me just not trusting any of them.

now, I have my battery wire or whatever that recall is to do as well. so question is should I just take in for battery and say hey check out my turbos for the warranty bmw offers on it? and if so which dealer/andor tech should I ask for there that is good for getting the turbos actually fixed?
only performance mod I have is jb4 also which I plan to just turn off when bringing it to service.
      04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
oshusttoley
Captain

Drives: 2008 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsorr View Post
so I've finally got to the point where my wastegate rattle is really annoying and want to take to bmw service. issue I'm having is actually going to service department due to me just not trusting any of them.

now, I have my battery wire or whatever that recall is to do as well. so question is should I just take in for battery and say hey check out my turbos for the warranty bmw offers on it? and if so which dealer/andor tech should I ask for there that is good for getting the turbos actually fixed?
only performance mod I have is jb4 also which I plan to just turn off when bringing it to service.
dont shut it off, clear the codes and then take it out. dont take the chance of them finding it, then you'll def not get your turbos replaced.
      04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
omgsorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshusttoley

dont shut it off, clear the codes and then take it out. dont take the chance of them finding it, then you'll def not get your turbos replaced.
alright, that clears that up for me for having to remove it or not.
      04-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
paul92nyr

Drives: 06 330i

take it to JMK, never had trouble with service and work gets done fast
paul92nyr is offline   United_States
      04-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #5
bimmerboi19
Private

Drives: Alpine White 335i

i just had my turbos replaced at bridgewater bmw cuz of the rattleing
      04-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
omgsorr

bridgewater huh? ill look into that. I work 5 mins from park ave service department, anyone know if that's good record of turbo replacements?
      04-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
sandjam
Private

Drives: 2010 328i M Sport Vert

I'd get it done while you still can. Thats an expensive piece to pay for yourself, plus I think BMW had enough of them and knows they have a week spot. Its worth it to remove the jb4 and just get it done. Why should you live with the rattle.

On my 08 Coopers S, the turbo used to melt the hood scoop because of the heat. BMW replaced it 3 times (and that meant it going to paint shop to get the scoop painted) and they never argued with me. They knew they had an issue.
      04-30-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
omgsorr

well, so as you all suggests I pulled out the jb4 and going to bring it to service tomorrow(park ave bmw, I'm walking distance from work there.) now my only issue is my rattle has pretty much disappeared now... any ideas?
      05-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
omgsorr

i spoke too soon, it's back after a quick two mile drive. lets hope bmw helps me out.
      05-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335 e90

What about if your catless, do you need to go back to stock on that too? What a PITA...
fazman is offline   United_States
      05-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
JRob23
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e46 m3 sold/99 civic/e92 335xi

Is it rattling upon start up or when you drive?

Last edited by JRob23; 01-18-2014 at 08:23 PM.
JRob23 is offline   United_States
      05-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
JRob23
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e46 m3 sold/99 civic/e92 335xi

Tbh, if it were me looking to have such an expensive job handled, I would put all performance mods back to stock no doubt about it. The smell of your car should be a dead give away to anyone that knows that kind of stuff. I'd rather them not want to start looking for "other components" that made your wastegate rattle.
JRob23 is offline   United_States
      05-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
omgsorr

everything is back to stock. luckily I held out on doing my exhaust before I got scheduled in (which apparently they can't even take me until the 23rd, so car is sitting with all stock performance.)

my rattle is always whenever I'm idle, and always when I never put gas pedal down. it's loud, embarrassing, and just annoying.
      05-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
bimmerboi19
Private

Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgsorr View Post
everything is back to stock. luckily I held out on doing my exhaust before I got scheduled in (which apparently they can't even take me until the 23rd, so car is sitting with all stock performance.)

my rattle is always whenever I'm idle, and always when I never put gas pedal down. it's loud, embarrassing, and just annoying.
good luck man. keep us posted
      05-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
omgsorr

so update time

brought to service at park ave and battery recall done very easily, car is being worked on for just wastegate repair under the service bulletin for the turbos. I was told this is their first attempt to solve the issue and if it doesn't get fixed then they look more into the turbos and other options. all this under warranty.

so glad I actually took it to service instead of ignoring the issue. and having a printed out service bulletin from my mechanic I believe helped speed up the process a bit.
      06-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
omgsorr

so final update

both turbos were replaced for free, I had a broken engine mount bracket which they replaced or just parts costs for me as well.

issue I have here at park ave service is all my wires for charging my devices were stolen. it's not a huge deal just really obnoxious. also that same day my lip came off of my vehicle as I was driving later, not sure if they removed it to service or whatever and put it back on like crap but it split in half.

Eric was my service provider and he was excellent with everything. I'd recommend him to others if they choose park ave service as well.

time to get jb4 back in there.