E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Overflowing fill ups

05-30-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..

Drives: like a cock

Overflowing fill ups

Does anyone else not have their pumps stop when the tank is full and it flows onto the side of the car? Every pump on Long Island never stops when the tank is full. I forgot whether they stop or not when I am in Virginia or Florida. I hope I am not the only one with the small gripe.

OEF Veteran
Wrecker335d is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
135i_vs_
Lieutenant

Drives: M5(sold), 135i(sold), 335d

Hmm strange. I always fill up until the pump stops. Then I slowly add about ~$0.50 more sometimes. Using BP off Motor Parkway.
135i_vs_ is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
White D
Private

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Only filled up 2 times as i just bought my car, but pump has stopped normally both times.
White D is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #4
GreekboyD
Colonel

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [4.00]
If you listen closely, you can tell when the fuel is reaching the top of your tank. Just let go of the trigger then.
GreekboyD is offline   Canada
      05-31-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
usna2k
Private

Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [3.00]
I remember reading someplace that diesel tends to foam when filling up, so when the pump does its automatic stop, it might actually not be at its fullest due to the foam. I wish I remember where I read that.

2011 TiAg 335d -- OEM Performance Aero Rear Bumper / Diffuser / CF Insert; OEM Performance Side Skirts; Body Color Front License Plate Bracket; JBSPEED E90 LCI Front Splitters; Rear Fog Light enable; M-Sport Steering Wheel; Pearlescent Chrome E-Brake Handle. Retrofitted Combox from BimmerTech.
BMWCCA #460040
      05-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #6
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD View Post
If you listen closely, you can tell when the fuel is reaching the top of your tank. Just let go of the trigger then.
It's what I learned to do every time already, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usna2k View Post
I remember reading someplace that diesel tends to foam when filling up, so when the pump does its automatic stop, it might actually not be at its fullest due to the foam. I wish I remember where I read that.
Diesel does foam when you fill it up at a fast rate, so I only pull the trigger halfway. It could be that I am only going halfway, making it not stop every time.

It could very well be just the pumps in Long Island. I think that the pumps I use anywhere else seem to stop when full with not spillage.

OEF Veteran
      05-31-2013, 08:53 AM   #7
kbsilver
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Does anyone else not have their pumps stop when the tank is full and it flows onto the side of the car? Every pump on Long Island never stops when the tank is full. I forgot whether they stop or not when I am in Virginia or Florida. I hope I am not the only one with the small gripe.
I've had it happen a few times. Mostly at one pump that was transferring/filling very slowly. At the slow rate think it did not build up enough backpressure on just vapor to trip the stop mechanism.

What I am seeing a lot lately are worn or misshaped nozzles (from being dropped on the ground) that will not open the fill safety interlock.

Also I'm in NJ so don't pump my own fuel anyway.
      05-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
I've had it happen a few times. Mostly at one pump that was transferring/filling very slowly. At the slow rate think it did not build up enough backpressure on just vapor to trip the stop mechanism.
Yes this happened to me once at a station near my school that I never plan to visit again. It was strange that it was filling-up very slowly and when I had my back turned, diesel started overflowing and left quite a mess. I wanted to tell the gas station attendant but knew it would be futile as I probably would of gotten a shrug. Smell wasn't as bad as people say so clean-up was easy. Luckily no one was looking so I didn't lose any cool points.
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | Coded
AzureHaze is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335D

Are you making sure that the pump gets inserted fully? My first few tries I wasn't going in all the way and I had the same problem (here in DC). Try rotating the pump. Should got in a decent amount. Not "just the tip" haha
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash

Garage List
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever used that little black reducer device that comes with our vehicles that you would use with the outsized truck nozzles. I use it all the time for putting other alchemy in my tank, but never for diesel fuel, although I guess I would if from a separate container. I bet that would be highly prone to overfill scenarios.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
335dFan is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Mark M
Captain

Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Upon taking delivery of my 335d last night the sales advisor and I were chatting. He mentioned the other year a customer's wife could not get the nozzle in the tank. So she used the adapter. Filled it up and drove off but never made it home before breaking down.

Seems she must have been blonde. She used gas in the diesel car.

Dealer quoted ~$27k to repair. Insurance actually totalled the car.

Lesson we all know, be very careful what pump we use and WHO we lend our car to.
Mark M is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant

Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever used that little black reducer device that comes with our vehicles that you would use with the outsized truck nozzles.
I've used it twice - once at a Cenex station that didn't have the new nozzles (Cenex is prevalent at farmers co-ops and truck stops), and once when I wanted to get rid of a bit left in my fuel can (use it for my Kubota tractor).

Auto-cutoff doesn't work well with it for sure.
floydarogers is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #13
Jhayd11
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 335D

I have used the converter piece at a truck station. Pumps there are VERY strong and it was hard just to keep it flowing without going everywhere.
Jhayd11 is offline   United_States
      05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhayd11 View Post
I have used the converter piece at a truck station. Pumps there are VERY strong and it was hard just to keep it flowing without going everywhere.
Good data point to know about or be reminded of. I do vaguely remember trying to use one of those mega-nozzles on my old Jetta diesel.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
      05-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #15
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Upon taking delivery of my 335d last night the sales advisor and I were chatting. He mentioned the other year a customer's wife could not get the nozzle in the tank. So she used the adapter. Filled it up and drove off but never made it home before breaking down.

Seems she must have been blonde. She used gas in the diesel car.

Dealer quoted ~$27k to repair. Insurance actually totalled the car.

Lesson we all know, be very careful what pump we use and WHO we lend our car to.
It's why I am really cautious to who I lend my car to. I brief them how to fill up, lol.

OEF Veteran
      05-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Built4Sin
Private

Drives: 335D SPORT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335D  [0.00]
2004 VW TOUAREG  [0.00]
I've had it happen twice… I attribute it to worn handles.
Built4Sin is offline   United_States
      06-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #17
Untdrums

Drives: '11 335d, '14 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan
I would be interested in knowing if anyone has ever used that little black reducer device that comes with our vehicles that you would use with the outsized truck nozzles. I use it all the time for putting other alchemy in my tank, but never for diesel fuel, although I guess I would if from a separate container. I bet that would be highly prone to overfill scenarios.
I have used the adapter once at a Shell station here in TX. You have to monitor your intake level because the auto-cutoff didn't work for me.

When I first purchased my D last summer, I did make the mistake of filling up at a Racetrac and I didn't insert the pump all the way, thus resulting in overflow and loss of cool points. Luckily no one saw...I don't think.
Untdrums is offline   United_States
      06-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash

Garage List
You guys are fortunate to have cool points to lose.
      06-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #19
Quasimodem
Colonel

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=spill

And yes, I always keep my hand on the trigger near when I expect it to be filling up and listen to it. When I hear it start to gurgle, I let the trigger go and I dont have this problem any more.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
      06-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #20
Quasimodem
Colonel

Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untdrums View Post
I have used the adapter once at a Shell station here in TX. You have to monitor your intake level because the auto-cutoff didn't work for me.

When I first purchased my D last summer, I did make the mistake of filling up at a Racetrac and I didn't insert the pump all the way, thus resulting in overflow and loss of cool points. Luckily no one saw...I don't think.
What were you doing, racing big rigs? Why would a race track have diesel?
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Quasimodem is offline   United_States
      06-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #21
Untdrums

Drives: '11 335d, '14 X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Untdrums View Post

What were you doing, racing big rigs? Why would a race track have diesel?
Didn't you know we race everything here in TX?

Racetrac is an "affordable" fuel station chain here in TX along with the likes of QT. (quick trip).
Untdrums is offline   United_States
      06-03-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
hotrod2448
grand poobah

Drives: E70 X5 SG, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Diesel does foam when you fill it up at a fast rate, so I only pull the trigger halfway. It could be that I am only going halfway, making it not stop every time.
I think this is most likely the cause of your issue. I'd try filling up at a station you had problems at wide open and see if it's better. I'm pretty sure all ULS highway diesel has anti-foaming agents in it and the little foam that is generated settles pretty quickly.
hotrod2448 is offline   United_States