E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Snetterton Bike Track Day - BMW S1000RR Sport

05-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Snetterton Bike Track Day - BMW S1000RR Sport

Took the BMW to Snetterton on Monday with No Limits - first track day since passing my ACU Race Licence up at Cadwell - have to say it was a much warmer day but still a little chilly in the morning sessions with a slightly wet and greasy track - the wind soon dried it up but they were drifting on the circuit the day before so it was slippery as hell around the new 300 infield sections before it completely dried out and nearly tucked the front end a few times under heavy breaking - had brand new tyres fitted and by lunch time i had completely mullered the K3 rear with bad cold tearing on the right hand shoulder - im putting it down to the traction control kicking in whilst i was cranked over going through the bomb hole and the awesome right hander that goes on forever (love it!!!) - overall the day was good and the bike was as awesome as ever BUT i did have an issue under heavy breaking down the back straight banging down the gears for the left hander, i was hitting around 175mph and getting up into 6th most times but as i came down the box the bike completely cut out a few times which left me free wheeling into that left hander at around 100mph!!! Ive got the bike booked in with BMW at the weekend as something isn't right so will hopefully get that sorted under warranty before the next track day.
It was great to see my old mate Carlos Fandango who took the day off to come and see me - much appreciated Carl and good to see you as always - bad hair or no bad hair (check the pic out!!) and thanks for the quick videos you took of me blatting up the start/finish straight - again check video below out (blink and you miss me!!)
Also good to meet James (safety james) who is the Ops Manager at Snetterton - see you on the next one fella!

Attached Images

05-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Desmondo
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 330i M-Sport

Nice

Only done Snett the once but it's a cracking little track. On paper, it looks pretty bland but I think it's highly underrated by many.
      05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Drives: Golf Ed35

Steve, looks a fun day and when you see the video clips can see it's a serious buzz on a bike track day. Hope you get it fixed soon and good to see Carl as your pit babe.
      05-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Steve, was great to catch up buddy!! Glad you like the vids!!

Your were flying out there, love the video of you flying down the middle of everyone.. One properly quick bike!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #5
Sparky68
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: e90 335i JB4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Bike identical to yours sat 20 feet from me right now. Crazy lad from our machine shop owns it.

How much did the track day cost? Looks like fun!

LM Reps - Borla Exhaust - Active Autowerks Chargepipe and Blow Off - JB4 G5 ISO - Burger Tuning Intake - Koni Street Shocks - Apex Springs - Whiteline Bushes - M3 rear Arms
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmondo View Post
Nice
Only done Snett the once but it's a cracking little track. On paper, it looks pretty bland but I think it's highly underrated by many.
The old Snett was a little dull but what JP has done with the new Snett 300 is awesome in my opinion and for me its one of my faves now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Steve, looks a fun day and when you see the video clips can see it's a serious buzz on a bike track day. Hope you get it fixed soon and good to see Carl as your pit babe.
Carl was very useful as pit crew but he will never make a brolly dolly with a barnet like his!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Steve, was great to catch up buddy!! Glad you like the vids!!
You were flying out there, love the video of you flying down the middle of everyone.. One properly quick bike!
Thanks again fella - bike really is a rocket and glad you had fun - see you soon kiddo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky68 View Post
Bike identical to yours sat 20 feet from me right now. Crazy lad from our machine shop owns it.
How much did the track day cost? Looks like fun!
I think you have to be slightly "crazy" to ride these bloody things to be honest or at least it helps!! Track day was around the 100 mark i think, cant remember - but dont forget thats not where it ends - i have to rent a van, i stayed in hotel night before, fuel and tyres for the bike, food/drinks, fuel for the van etc - its an expensive hobby for sure but a LOT of fun and worth every penny!!
      05-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

''but as i came down the box the bike completely cut out a few times which left me free wheeling into that left hander at around 100mph!!!''

...this is a fooked up feeling....reminds me of false neutral. Make you realise just how much you are dependent upon engine braking, weight transfer etc etc. I remember getting false neutral going into paddock hill at brands!!!...I ended up in the run off! lolol
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 04:29 AM   #8
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaza01 View Post
''but as i came down the box the bike completely cut out a few times which left me free wheeling into that left hander at around 100mph!!!''

...this is a fooked up feeling....reminds me of false neutral. Make you realise just how much you are dependent upon engine braking, weight transfer etc etc. I remember getting false neutral going into paddock hill at brands!!!...I ended up in the run off! lolol
Yes, not a good feeling at all - fingers crossed BMW can sort the problem out before my next track day.
      05-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #9
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Looks fookin' nuts; you'll only catch me standing where Carlos was .

I suppose the conversation with BMW Bikes is a little different to BMW Cars when it comes to warranty. Can imagine the faces of the people behind the service desk when you explain "i was hitting around 175mph and getting up into 6th most times but as i came down the box the bike completely cut out a few times which left me free wheeling into that left hander at around 100mph" .

Glad you enjoyed it and survived .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Thanks Rog - and youre welcome to come and be part of the Hoops Pit Crew anytime fella!! Tea and biccies are FOC too!! And no im not looking forward to explaining how i discovered the issue with the gearbox and also why the rear tyre looks like ive shredded it with rubber beading right to the very edges!!!
      05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Would love to mate but Snetterton is a feckin' long way from me. How far North do you race?? Oulton Park would be perfik .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I love Oulton Park - was invited their for this weekends BSB but we im taking the family away - but yes i will get a date sorted up there sometime this summer for sure - get your brolly dusted down Rog!!
      05-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I look forward to the sexy shot of me and Carlos perched on your bike
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Errr, what an awful thought!!!