E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Fill-up SNAFU



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Fill-up SNAFU

decided to try a bottle of lucas additive on my last fill-up...like a dork, i tried to remove the bottle before it was empty and ended up spilling a few ounces of the stuff in the gas cap compartment...i was surprised and relieved when i realized there is a drainage hole in the compartment (see first pic), but i was thinking "where the heck is this stuff draining to?"...that's when i noticed a few drips coming out fo the rear panel right behind the wheel (see second pic)...my question is, how concerned should i be about this stuff swishing around in the bottom of the rear panel? should i try to flush it out, or just leave it be?

ps - that lucas stuff is the tits! what a difference...
Attached Images
  
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
nightops
Lieutenant
nightops's Avatar
6
Rep
472
Posts

 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los angeles- Westside

iTrader: (2)

i wouldnt be too concerned about it doesnt eat paint does it? what are the noticable differences that you feel? smoother acceleration and better fuel economy?
__________________
335i Space Grey Coupe/ppk/ssk/pe exhaust/perf susp
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
blacknbean
Major
11
Rep
1,027
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SF

iTrader: (2)

probably drips inside the fender onto the ground like you saw. its meant for gas drainage so im sure the additive wont be too bad. just wipe it off any exterior paint.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,513
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

What does that Lucas stuff do? I hope they don't claim to clean the intake valves on a 335....
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightops View Post
i wouldnt be too concerned about it doesnt eat paint does it? what are the noticable differences that you feel? smoother acceleration and better fuel economy?
overall increased responsiveness, especially from a stop...huge difference...there was a good thread in here a while back on the subject, but i can't find it anymore...here's what one member posted, which seems like a good description of how these work...

"To clear up a few misconceptions here...

Techron and Lucas fuel treatment are not octane boosters, and both work in different ways. Techron has a little xylene and kerosene in it which are high octane, but not near enough to boost a tank even 0.1 octane numbers.

Techron is based on PEA formulation to reduce carbon and clean injectors, Lucas is based on PIB formulation. Techron is a solvent base, Lucas is a lubricant base.

PEA is much more effective at deposit control than PIB, but it costs more, and continual use of PIB in addition to the PEA already in the fuel is more effective at deposit control than the fuel detergents alone.

Since Lucas uses a lubricant base, that is what it is best at, and it does a good job. Techron is almost all solvent, and it does a good job at that. Amsoil PI is also PEA based, but uses a lubricant base with a small amount of solvents. Amsoil is about 1/3 PEA by volume.

PEA will remove carbon deposits very quickly, and also is known to have an effect on lead based bearings, which is why they say to use Techron for a tank, then fill up a fresh tank and change the oil, so the PEA and carbon blowby is not in the oil for more than 1000 miles. Since Lucas is not PEA based, you can use it continuously and have no ill effect.

I use a formulation made from Lucas, Amsoil, and some other stuff, and the end result is about 2oz of Lucas and 1/2oz of Amsoil for every 10 gallons of fuel, which is not enough PEA to cause excessive engine wear, but enough to eliminate carbon deposits in the combustion chamber and keep the injectors clean when used with the Lucas PIB. The dosage is based on both my mpg and oil change interval, to use a total of 1 bottle of Amsoil in the fuel over the oil change interval, this should be taken into consideration if using it as part of a long term fuel additive formulation.

As mentioned, this has no effect on intake valve carbon deposits in direct injected engines."
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
157
Rep
11,513
Posts

 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
overall increased responsiveness, especially from a stop...huge difference...
placebo effect
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Zaid A
NorthTexasBimmerClub
Zaid A's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
97
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 e90 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Allen, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [4.00]
Which did you use exactly? I am thinking about picking up a bottle.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
placebo effect
nope...
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid A View Post
Which did you use exactly? I am thinking about picking up a bottle.
...this one...picked mine up at Auto Zone...
Attached Images
 
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Colonel
2kaccordocoupe's Avatar
Canada
31
Rep
2,721
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i E92 Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GTA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 e92 335i  [0.00]
^ Tune in a bottle?
__________________
2009 335i E92 Coupe
Manual/Navigation/Executive/Audiophile/Sport/19s
Alpine White/Coral Red Dakota
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Dylanize's Avatar
16
Rep
1,569
Posts

 
Drives: 07' E92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Queen City, NC

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
placebo effect
Yup^
__________________

| Platinum Bronze Metallic | AA | VMR | ACS | DJApex Eurobox |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #12
AndreyT
Captain
AndreyT's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

Pure placebo effect.

Kids, don't add anything to your gas, unless you have a very good reason to do so.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #13
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

not placebo...i used to fly airplanes for a living...i can tell differences in acceleration...it saved my life several times...why don't you let people try it and draw their own conclusions?
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
tr_ms3
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
36
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have this guy on linkedin? Is he the national sales mgr for lucas additives?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #15
SharkBait
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lost Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
not placebo...i used to fly airplanes for a living...i can tell differences in acceleration...it saved my life several times...why don't you let people try it and draw their own conclusions?
Confirmation bias.

Highly doubtful you could tell the difference in a blind A/B test. I've used the same additives and while I am sure they do help over time to reduce carbon deposits and keep injectors in slightly better condition, I have noticed no discernable difference in performance on a tank by tank basis.

I don't get the plane reference. I fly planes. I've used the additives but it's different fuel, different engine technology and I don't see how they could have saved your life.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

jesus christ...i guess sharing a positive experience doesn't pay in here ...for the record, i have no affiliation with any automotive products...it's 6 bucks a bottle try it or don't...obviously, YMMV
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #17
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
Confirmation bias.

Highly doubtful you could tell the difference in a blind A/B test. I've used the same additives and while I am sure they do help over time to reduce carbon deposits and keep injectors in slightly better condition, I have noticed no discernable difference in performance on a tank by tank basis.

I don't get the plane reference. I fly planes. I've used the additives but it's different fuel, different engine technology and I don't see how they could have saved your life.
ok, so you are basically stating that since you didn't notice any effect, it's impossible for anyone else to...great logic

i wasn't referencing flying because using additives saved my life...matter of fact, i'm not aware that any additives were used in our military fuel...i used it as a basis for denying that it was "placebo" effect...being a pilot, you probably understand that feeling accelerations can be useful...it's called "flying by the seat of your pants"...but i do know people that aren't as aware of differences in acceleration...my wife is a good example
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #18
SharkBait
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lost Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
ok, so you are basically stating that since you didn't notice any effect, it's impossible for anyone else to...great logic

i wasn't referencing flying because using additives saved my life...matter of fact, i'm not aware that any additives were used in our military fuel...i used it as a basis for denying that it was "placebo" effect...being a pilot, you probably understand that feeling accelerations can be useful...it's called "flying by the seat of your pants"...but i do know people that aren't as aware of differences in acceleration...my wife is a good example
There are fuel stabilizers, water dispersement, and anti-fouling additives for 100LL fuel though probably not used in military applications. Again, those additives you don't feel on a tank by tank basis. More than anything, they are preventive as in they lower the chances of an issue whether it be fouling, clogging, varnishing, carbon build up, water accumulation, etc. Same applies for automotive additives. You don't feel them tank to tank. They just lower your chances of an issue or performance degradation over time. I don't think even Lucas claims you can feel it. The only exception would be octane boosters and that would only apply if you're timing is knock limited.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
There are fuel stabilizers, water dispersement, and anti-fouling additives for 100LL fuel though probably not used in military applications. Again, those additives you don't feel on a tank by tank basis. More than anything, they are preventive as in they lower the chances of an issue whether it be fouling, clogging, varnishing, carbon build up, water accumulation, etc. Same applies for automotive additives. You don't feel them tank to tank. They just lower your chances of an issue or performance degradation over time. I don't think even Lucas claims you can feel it. The only exception would be octane boosters and that would only apply if you're timing is knock limited.
all i can say is that before the additive, the car was sluggish, especially from a stop...after the additive, it was more responsive and accelerated more quickly...don't know why, don't know how, don't really care...just sharing an experience with the forum...people can draw their own conclusions...you obviously have

peace
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
SharkBait
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lost Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik E Mart View Post
all i can say is that before the additive, the car was sluggish, especially from a stop...after the additive, it was more responsive and accelerated more quickly...don't know why, don't know how, don't really care...just sharing an experience with the forum...people can draw their own conclusions...you obviously have

peace
Entirely possible it cleared a partially clogged injector or a carbon deposit and you noticed the difference which is great. That's an unusually positive outcome and I don't think you would notice such a big benefit each time you used it which is why the others and I were saying placebo. But it did the trick. All good.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #21
etichi
Slow,fast,slow, then you die.
etichi's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 07,AA short shifter, COBB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (1)

OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
Kwik E Mart
Private
Kwik E Mart's Avatar
0
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: '08 335i e93
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etichi View Post
OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?
guess not......but i'm learning......rush sux...
__________________
"OP, Dude relax. Didn't you realize it's really cool to discredit, offer snarky replies, and in general offer nothing of substance but a negative response?" - itichi
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST