E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Watch Cases?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Efini
Silent Service
 
Drives: 07 e90
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (1)

Watch Cases?

I am looking for a watch case. I'm thinking something with about 20 slots. The problem I'm having is finding a case with wide enough slots. I need something that can fit a nixon 5130. If anyone can lead me in the right direction or recommend a particular case that would be greatly appreciated.
Efini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,178
iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure if you mean a box type thing or a folding thing that has elastic in it to hold the watches in place. There's no shortage of sellers offering watch cases. There are super elaborate ones and there are moderately priced ones too.

I have no idea what a Nixon 5130 is, but here are a good assortment of watch boxes: http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...83/subcat.html .

I store my watches in little drawstring pouches my mother makes for me. I just put the watch in the pouch and toss them in a simple box that has some egg crate sort of dividers in them and slide the box back underneath the bed. I label the sections of the box. The box itself is just something I made from plywood some 20+ years ago using a few hand tools: hammer, nails, chisel, and small hand saw. I sanded the rough edges and spray painted it black.

For the longest time, it had no cover. About 8 years ago, two of my kids needed punishing, so I denied them certain privileges until they made a sliding cover for it. So now, it has a sliding cover and is held together using wood screws instead of nails. LOL They were "good enough" to put a lining in it too. (Actually, they were bad and smart mouthed enough that doing that became an add-on part of the punishment.)

Here are some instructions you can use or modify to make your own pouches, or what Mother calls pillow cases. I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it's really not.

Pillow case sewing instructions:
  1. Select a fabric. You'll need about 14 square inches of material. Mother uses navy velvet mostly because it's a thicker material and because it looks luxurious. Corduroy, wool flannel, polar fleece, leather/suede/ultra suede or any other thick material would do well too. You just want something that's woven tightly and thick enough to offer a bit of protection from other things in one's back or drawer or whatever, so knit materials aren't quite as good for this purpose.
  2. Select a cord/string. You'll want about 8 inches of cord per pouch. Mother uses various colors of silk -- the luxury thing again -- but anything, even a flat shoe lace, will do.
  3. Cut one 7x2 rectangle from the material. This will result in a pouch that's about three inches deep. Adjust the size as you see fit.
  4. Lay the material velvet side up.
  5. Lay the cord across the top of the material so a couple inches stick out one side of the material and the remainder extends beyond the other. Mother does it this way so she doesn't have to fiddle around threading the cord through at the end. Either way works.
  6. Fold the top edge 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch down so that the cord lies inside the fold.
  7. Sew the folded bit so it forms a tunnel on one side. Make sure not to catch the cord as you sew.
  8. Fold the whole thing in half. If you're doing the sewing by hand and don't think you can sew in a straight line, use a piece of chalk to draw a line for yourself.
  9. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other end of the fabric. Be sure to take the longer end of the cord and lay it under this side's folded down top edge. If you do it right, the two loose ends of the cord will be next to each other.
  10. Sew from the edge of the top fold down to the very bottom on each side. If you are using a sewing machine, any locking stitch will do just fine. If you are doing it by hand, I recommend a wrapping stitch. A wrap stitch is one that'll take the thread around the outside edge of the material. Think of a spiral just going down/up the length of the material along the end and the line of the material being sown running through the center of the spiral. Use whatever stitch is easiest for you. You'll need to knot off the end of the thread at the ends if you do it by hand. A sewing machine takes care of that for you.
  11. Turn the whole thing inside out. If you want the velvet on the inside, perform step 4 with the velvet side down.
  12. Drop the watch inside, pull the fabric tight at the top and tie the cord to close it. Cut of any excess cord as you see fit.
  13. Voila!


Obviously, that's about as basic as it gets. You can get fancy with the thing to your heart's content. Here are some ideas.


Monograms and Labels
  • You can embroider in the name (abbreviation) of the watch on one side of the pouch before you perform steps 3 through 12. Just be sure that if you do this, you end the stitching on whatever side you want to be the outside of the material. I asked her once to try embroidering in the name of my watch, but that was a lot of work and she told me I shouldn't be so choosey. (LOL -- I guess he doesn't love me that much. )
  • You can embroider your initials or your family crest on it. This is what Mother likes do do -- the monogram (How to Embroider a Monogram | eHow). Had I known about WUS some time ago, I'd have given her the WUS abbreviations to use instead of my own initials. For example, RO, SUB, etc. Overall, embroidering is super easy to do if you have an embroidering ring; if you don't have one, don't even bother trying. Leather is good for this because it can be embossed with whatever you want to stamp on it. Your local upscale luggage store should be able to do the leather embossing/stamping for you. (If the offer gold or silver leaf, skip it; it'll just wear off eventually.)
  • You could buy contrasting fabric to do either of the two things noted above, but sewing on a separate piece of fabric (applique). (That'd be a lot of work, but it could look very nice.)
Windows
  • If you won't be traveling with them a lot, you can cut a circle in one side of the material and sew in a sheer piece of material so you can see the watch inside.
Construction Methods
  • You could choose to sew the thing so that you don't have the cord exposed on the both ends of the top, but then you'd need to thread the thing through the "tunnel."
  • If you don't like the whole cord thing, or if you are using a heavy weight leather rather than nappa glove leather (easier to sew, but easier to tear also), you could sew/glue velcro on the top edges and use that to secure the thing shut. The velcro doesn't have to extend from end to end, just far enough to keep the watch from falling out and to let you stick your finger inside to start the velcro opening when you want to open the pouch.
Decorations
  • You could sew small beads onto it to effect the monogram/label or you could just go whole hog Liberace/Judith Leiber and cover the thing with sequins and beads and whatnot.
  • If using leather, you can use the thread that holds the velcro as a decorative detail. (I wouldn't do this if I didn't know what I was doing.)
  • Size/Shape
  • Envelope -- Some folks may not like having to store their strapped watches with the straps not laid flat. If you opt for this approach, you may want to sew in some elastic strap/loop things to hold the watch in place. If this is what you want, you'll probably want a bit more structure than the pouch for which I've provided instructions and you may therefore want to use a piece of pretty stiff batting or even thin cardboard to provide that. Basically, this would be like making an envelope or saddle bag and you could easily secure the flap using velcro. You'll probably want to use an inner and outer material: inner being the one two which you secure your elastic and to which you'd sew the cardboard if you use that instead of leather to provide the structure; the outer material would just be what you want to look at.

I suppose too if you drink a lot of those Crown Royal mini-bottles, you can collect enough pre-made pouches and use them instead.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Efini
Silent Service
 
Drives: 07 e90
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean a box type thing or a folding thing that has elastic in it to hold the watches in place. There's no shortage of sellers offering watch cases. There are super elaborate ones and there are moderately priced ones too.

I have no idea what a Nixon 5130 is, but here are a good assortment of watch boxes: http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...83/subcat.html .

I store my watches in little drawstring pouches my mother makes for me. I just put the watch in the pouch and toss them in a simple box that has some egg crate sort of dividers in them and slide the box back underneath the bed. I label the sections of the box. The box itself is just something I made from plywood some 20+ years ago using a few hand tools: hammer, nails, chisel, and small hand saw. I sanded the rough edges and spray painted it black.

For the longest time, it had no cover. About 8 years ago, two of my kids needed punishing, so I denied them certain privileges until they made a sliding cover for it. So now, it has a sliding cover and is held together using wood screws instead of nails. LOL They were "good enough" to put a lining in it too. (Actually, they were bad and smart mouthed enough that doing that became an add-on part of the punishment.)

Here are some instructions you can use or modify to make your own pouches, or what Mother calls pillow cases. I know it seems like a lot of steps, but it's really not.

Pillow case sewing instructions:
  1. Select a fabric. You'll need about 14 square inches of material. Mother uses navy velvet mostly because it's a thicker material and because it looks luxurious. Corduroy, wool flannel, polar fleece, leather/suede/ultra suede or any other thick material would do well too. You just want something that's woven tightly and thick enough to offer a bit of protection from other things in one's back or drawer or whatever, so knit materials aren't quite as good for this purpose.
  2. Select a cord/string. You'll want about 8 inches of cord per pouch. Mother uses various colors of silk -- the luxury thing again -- but anything, even a flat shoe lace, will do.
  3. Cut one 7x2 rectangle from the material. This will result in a pouch that's about three inches deep. Adjust the size as you see fit.
  4. Lay the material velvet side up.
  5. Lay the cord across the top of the material so a couple inches stick out one side of the material and the remainder extends beyond the other. Mother does it this way so she doesn't have to fiddle around threading the cord through at the end. Either way works.
  6. Fold the top edge 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch down so that the cord lies inside the fold.
  7. Sew the folded bit so it forms a tunnel on one side. Make sure not to catch the cord as you sew.
  8. Fold the whole thing in half. If you're doing the sewing by hand and don't think you can sew in a straight line, use a piece of chalk to draw a line for yourself.
  9. Repeat steps 5 and 6 for the other end of the fabric. Be sure to take the longer end of the cord and lay it under this side's folded down top edge. If you do it right, the two loose ends of the cord will be next to each other.
  10. Sew from the edge of the top fold down to the very bottom on each side. If you are using a sewing machine, any locking stitch will do just fine. If you are doing it by hand, I recommend a wrapping stitch. A wrap stitch is one that'll take the thread around the outside edge of the material. Think of a spiral just going down/up the length of the material along the end and the line of the material being sown running through the center of the spiral. Use whatever stitch is easiest for you. You'll need to knot off the end of the thread at the ends if you do it by hand. A sewing machine takes care of that for you.
  11. Turn the whole thing inside out. If you want the velvet on the inside, perform step 4 with the velvet side down.
  12. Drop the watch inside, pull the fabric tight at the top and tie the cord to close it. Cut of any excess cord as you see fit.
  13. Voila!


Obviously, that's about as basic as it gets. You can get fancy with the thing to your heart's content. Here are some ideas.


Monograms and Labels
  • You can embroider in the name (abbreviation) of the watch on one side of the pouch before you perform steps 3 through 12. Just be sure that if you do this, you end the stitching on whatever side you want to be the outside of the material. I asked her once to try embroidering in the name of my watch, but that was a lot of work and she told me I shouldn't be so choosey. (LOL -- I guess he doesn't love me that much. )
  • You can embroider your initials or your family crest on it. This is what Mother likes do do -- the monogram (How to Embroider a Monogram | eHow). Had I known about WUS some time ago, I'd have given her the WUS abbreviations to use instead of my own initials. For example, RO, SUB, etc. Overall, embroidering is super easy to do if you have an embroidering ring; if you don't have one, don't even bother trying. Leather is good for this because it can be embossed with whatever you want to stamp on it. Your local upscale luggage store should be able to do the leather embossing/stamping for you. (If the offer gold or silver leaf, skip it; it'll just wear off eventually.)
  • You could buy contrasting fabric to do either of the two things noted above, but sewing on a separate piece of fabric (applique). (That'd be a lot of work, but it could look very nice.)
Windows
  • If you won't be traveling with them a lot, you can cut a circle in one side of the material and sew in a sheer piece of material so you can see the watch inside.
Construction Methods
  • You could choose to sew the thing so that you don't have the cord exposed on the both ends of the top, but then you'd need to thread the thing through the "tunnel."
  • If you don't like the whole cord thing, or if you are using a heavy weight leather rather than nappa glove leather (easier to sew, but easier to tear also), you could sew/glue velcro on the top edges and use that to secure the thing shut. The velcro doesn't have to extend from end to end, just far enough to keep the watch from falling out and to let you stick your finger inside to start the velcro opening when you want to open the pouch.
Decorations
  • You could sew small beads onto it to effect the monogram/label or you could just go whole hog Liberace/Judith Leiber and cover the thing with sequins and beads and whatnot.
  • If using leather, you can use the thread that holds the velcro as a decorative detail. (I wouldn't do this if I didn't know what I was doing.)
  • Size/Shape
  • Envelope -- Some folks may not like having to store their strapped watches with the straps not laid flat. If you opt for this approach, you may want to sew in some elastic strap/loop things to hold the watch in place. If this is what you want, you'll probably want a bit more structure than the pouch for which I've provided instructions and you may therefore want to use a piece of pretty stiff batting or even thin cardboard to provide that. Basically, this would be like making an envelope or saddle bag and you could easily secure the flap using velcro. You'll probably want to use an inner and outer material: inner being the one two which you secure your elastic and to which you'd sew the cardboard if you use that instead of leather to provide the structure; the outer material would just be what you want to look at.

I suppose too if you drink a lot of those Crown Royal mini-bottles, you can collect enough pre-made pouches and use them instead.

All the best.

Yes, I did mean a watch box. Thanks for the info!
Efini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
owen2001
First Lieutenant
 
owen2001's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 135is
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 303
iTrader: (9)

Not to hijack the thread, but when I travel I use this leather watch case from GV Limited. I have the black one. It holds 2 watches and is high quality.

I know it's not what the OP was looking for, but when he said watch case, I thought of this.

__________________
2013 Jet Black 135is | 6MT | Coupe | #381/586
owen2001 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,801
iTrader: (5)

I have a 24 slot watch box all on one level that is both wide enough and glass far enough up to hold just about anything. Leather bound and works well for me. What is the size of the nixon. My nixon corporal is 47mm I think and fits just fine. I can look when I get home and see if I can find the brand.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
tony20009
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,178
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but when I travel I use this leather watch case from GV Limited. I have the black one. It holds 2 watches and is high quality.

I know it's not what the OP was looking for, but when he said watch case, I thought of this.

Nice cases. What watch is that that looks like a PP Aquanaut? I know I've never seen an A-naut or Nautilus with Roman numerals, but that looks like the PP A-naut's updated bracelet. Do you find it to be less fidgety than the "cubist" style early version?

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
Efini
Silent Service
 
Drives: 07 e90
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen2001 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but when I travel I use this leather watch case from GV Limited. I have the black one. It holds 2 watches and is high quality.

I know it's not what the OP was looking for, but when he said watch case, I thought of this.


those look perfect for traveling. I am open to seeing all kinds of cases or boxes i just need something to store my watches in. Everyone post a pic of what you have your watches in!
Efini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Efini
Silent Service
 
Drives: 07 e90
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I have a 24 slot watch box all on one level that is both wide enough and glass far enough up to hold just about anything. Leather bound and works well for me. What is the size of the nixon. My nixon corporal is 47mm I think and fits just fine. I can look when I get home and see if I can find the brand.
Case measurements: 51.25 mm in diameter x 15 mm thick
Efini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 3|Ridge 1:54:61|Pacific 1:37:36
 
1MOREMOD's Avatar
 
Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

Posts: 10,801
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efini View Post
Case measurements: 51.25 mm in diameter x 15 mm thick
The foam pads the watch wraps around are 58mm across so should work. Crown may stick out some but as long as every watch you have isn't that big should work fine. As far as height clearance there is an inch or more between the glass and every watch I have. Its a tech swiss not sure of the model but think it was xl. Its leather bound with glass top and holds all 24 watches on one level.
1MOREMOD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #10
Efini
Silent Service
 
Drives: 07 e90
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 284
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
The foam pads the watch wraps around are 58mm across so should work. Crown may stick out some but as long as every watch you have isn't that big should work fine. As far as height clearance there is an inch or more between the glass and every watch I have. Its a tech swiss not sure of the model but think it was xl. Its leather bound with glass top and holds all 24 watches on one level.
thanks for the info! im gonna check them out
Efini is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST