E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Offering Hand Washing/Detailing @ Low Prices - Starting at $40

05-05-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi

Offering Hand Wash/Detailing @ Low Prices - Starting at $40 Updated W/ Before & After

Hello fellow E90 lovers!

I'm offering the services I usually only do for friends for what I believe to be low prices to help pay for mods to my car/insurance/what have you.

THIS THERAD HAS CONSTANT UPDATES OF BEFORE AND AFTER PICTURES FOR CARS, SCROLL TO SEE MORE!

Here are my price points:

$40 - Basic Hand Wash, Car is washed carefully, wheels clean, a wax as you dry is applied.
$50 - Ultimate Wash, Everything from basic wash, but the interior is vacuumed and trim pieces cleaned.
$60 - Wash and Wax - Everything from ultimate, but a meguiars wax is applied and buffed to perfection.

and finally!

$80 will get you everything mentioned above, plus scratches (the kind that you cannot feel with a fingernail) removed with a polishing compound.

$100 gets you all of the above, but instead of meguairs wax, the car will have a Carnauba wax applied.

I am happy to help everyone out at every price point, you can come to me or I can come to you for only 10 dollars more if you're not too far from me! E-mail me with any questions!

-Scott

scottsmithld@icloud.com

Water is always removed from tight spots with an air gun!:

Last edited by ssmith96; 05-12-2013 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Bangladesh
Rep
Drives: SLOW

Hm, interesting where in LI are you exactly?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Still have spots avalibable for later today or sunday (saturday if it doesn't rain)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

You can't just compound a car, slap some wax on, and call it a day. At best, you'll be leaving hazing, at worst you're being way too aggressive on paint. Most cars don't need to be compounded. A medium-light polish works best for a one-step.

Judging from your price point, if you wish to make any kind of profit, you either have 5 underpaid workers hauling ass around the car with DAs, or you're doing this yourself with a rotary for speed. Neither of these options sounds too attractive.

Since you're not a vendor, i can bust your chops about it without being banned. Do you even know what you're doing?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
You can't just compound a car, slap some wax on, and call it a day. At best, you'll be leaving hazing, at worst you're being way too aggressive on paint. Most cars don't need to be compounded. A medium-light polish works best for a one-step.

Judging from your price point, if you wish to make any kind of profit, you either have 5 underpaid workers hauling ass around the car with DAs, or you're doing this yourself with a rotary for speed. Neither of these options sounds too attractive.

Since you're not a vendor, i can bust your chops about it without being banned. Do you even know what you're doing?
Yes, I do, just because I'm young does not mean that I don't know what I'm doing. I've done many cars and they do not haze. I don't really go over the car with compound, only if the person is claiming that their car is extremely scratched or has swirls, in which case I use scratchx and swirlx or M205.

For light scratching that doesn't need compound, I use pinnacle or poorboys.

I apologize if my slip of words there made you agitated by saying polishing compound instead of just polish or compound.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
You have to understand why members may be skeptical, and you really can't blame them for being so. Some detailers have detailing down to an artform (two-bucket wash, etc.) and others down to a science (paint thickness readers before paint correcting, etc.).

Being as meticulous as MANY of us forum members are, I highly doubt anyone would just hand over their car for a full detail (and especially scratch removal) to someone that lacks proven experience and credentials for a price similar to established hand carwashes and detailers. Please note the emphasis on "proven experience" as I'm not saying you're inexperienced, but you also haven't proven to be experienced by providing two low quality pics of clean cars and two even lower quality pics of a "scratch removal."

Be humble and start small. Even if you're not pursuing this as a legitimate business, it goes without saying that you need to earn the trust of your future clients. I can't tell you how to run your business, but providing better images of your services (including your interior cleaning) and more detailed explanations of how you execute said services is probably a safe bet on a way to start. Just take a look at the threads in the detailing section that aren't even created for direct marketing purposes but instead to share this art or science of detailing with the community.

Just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #7
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
You have to understand why members may be skeptical, and you really can't blame them for being so. Some detailers have detailing down to an artform (two-bucket wash, etc.) and others down to a science (paint thickness readers before paint correcting, etc.).

Being as meticulous as MANY of us forum members are, I highly doubt anyone would just hand over their car for a full detail (and especially scratch removal) to someone that lacks proven experience and credentials for a price similar to established hand carwashes and detailers. Please note the emphasis on "proven experience" as I'm not saying you're inexperienced, but you also haven't proven to be experienced by providing two low quality pics of clean cars and two even lower quality pics of a "scratch removal."

Be humble and start small. Even if you're not pursuing this as a legitimate business, it goes without saying that you need to earn the trust of your future clients. I can't tell you how to run your business, but providing better images of your services (including your interior cleaning) and more detailed explanations of how you execute said services is probably a safe bet on a way to start. Just take a look at the threads in the detailing section that aren't even created for direct marketing purposes but instead to share this art or science of detailing with the community.

Just my two cents.
And I do appreciate the advice, unfortunately, I have done many more cars but I never took pictures, as I never thought of doing something like this back then. I do consider my wash a little bit of a science, and I mention my process in PM's however I will post it.

My process goes something like this

Rinse the whole car
Wash with a Meg's car wash soap
Clay only if absolutely necessary (depends on what youre doing)
For the average car I would normally just use a polish next to help with scratches and swirls
For cars with lots of scratches and swirls I either use a swirl remover like swirlx or a polishing compound for deeper scratches and then finish up with a megs finishing polish.
Lastly comes a meg's wax
and to finish off I go over the car with a light mist of quick detailer.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
kamek
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [8.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith96 View Post
And I do appreciate the advice, unfortunately, I have done many more cars but I never took pictures, as I never thought of doing something like this back then. I do consider my wash a little bit of a science, and I mention my process in PM's however I will post it.

My process goes something like this

Rinse the whole car
Wash with a Meg's car wash soap
Clay only if absolutely necessary (depends on what youre doing)
For the average car I would normally just use a polish next to help with scratches and swirls
For cars with lots of scratches and swirls I either use a swirl remover like swirlx or a polishing compound for deeper scratches and then finish up with a megs finishing polish.
Lastly comes a meg's wax
and to finish off I go over the car with a light mist of quick detailer.
Actually, your process is far from a "science," and you've only proven yourself to be more naive than in your original post.

I'm going to second this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
Do you even know what you're doing?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek View Post
Actually, your process is far from a "science," and you've only proven yourself to be more naive than in your original post.

I'm going to second this:
Then tell me what's so terrible about those methods?

Did I forget to tell you the type of pads that go with the products? Is that it?

I don't get what your issue is. Everyone has a different preference
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Maxima For Mothers Day!

Before:

Scratching:

After:

Half and Half on the Wheel:

Scratch Removed:

Interior:

Before:

After:

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Did an ML350 Today, full wash, wax, interior, everything!

Before:

After:

Interior Before:

Interior After:

Last edited by ssmith96; 05-12-2013 at 09:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Had an 2008 328i in today aswell!

I asked Brian to write a review and this is what he gave me:

"Remember when you got your first car? Whether it was brand new or used, every time it got the slightest bit dirty, you enthusiastically got outside and started to wash and wax it so that it always look its best. Now there is an easier way. Scott shares that same energy and attention to detail that you used to have. He has the energy and drive to take care of your car in the same manner that you used to. All you have to do is reach out to him and he will do a great job on your vehicle and have it looking brand new and a very reasonable price. Give this young entrepreneur a shot and I guarantee you won't be disappointed."
-Brian Goerke, BMW 328i Owner

Before:

After:

Interior only needed a quick vacuum and wipe down, leather was already cleaned and the car was generally already clean on the inside:

Last edited by ssmith96; 05-12-2013 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #13
turk23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 335i SD M-Sport

i dont know much but lookin pretty good if u ask me
      05-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Last car from today, an old, white C280, owner told me it hasn't really even been detailed, and not washed in a few months.

Notice the shades of white in the before and after here, it was really dirty!

Before:

After:

Last edited by ssmith96; 05-12-2013 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk23 View Post
i dont know much but lookin pretty good if u ask me
Thank you! Appreciate it! I see you're from long island too, if you ever want any help or tips feel free to come by and I'll help you out.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #16
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Like your work with those reasonable prices, where in LI?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #17
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Like your work with those reasonable prices, where in LI?
Thank you! I'm in Nassau County, (I know thats general, but not posting any pertinent information here)

If you'd like to get your car done feel free to PM me to talk about a day/time and chances are if you have to travel a while, I'll give you a discount to compensate for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #18
Pons1012
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi

Looks GOOD!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #19
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pons1012 View Post
Looks GOOD!

Thank You!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
SS e93
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

You really need to provide a direct side by side panel comparison. You should also invest in a spotlight to show the comparison before and after. Every car looks perfect in shade from far away. I am not doubting your work, but you need to show you can bring the car further than an average detail to perfection.

Also, isn't claying absolutely necessary if polishing?
Detailed write ups are what will allow you to gain peoples trust. Otherwise anybody can just one step and throw on some glaze and call it a perfect job.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
ssmith96
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyhot e92 View Post
You really need to provide a direct side by side panel comparison. You should also invest in a spotlight to show the comparison before and after. Every car looks perfect in shade from far away. I am not doubting your work, but you need to show you can bring the car further than an average detail to perfection.

Also, isn't claying absolutely necessary if polishing?
Detailed write ups are what will allow you to gain peoples trust. Otherwise anybody can just one step and throw on some glaze and call it a perfect job.

Yes it is, by necessary I meant if I'm not getting much or anything on the clay I don't use it. And thank you I appreciate the tips.

I will do a tape line on my next car and write up the process
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #22
335crImson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92

willing to come to jersey I have a crimson red that needs loads of work and you can take all the side by side shot you want to help keep the critics quick
Appreciate 0