E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > LSD for an N55 E93- thoughts?

05-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #23
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog
Or... maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for a couple years and buy a new M3.

As it is, I've invested enough in my car to have just purchased an M3 in the first place.
Haha- a man after my own heart.
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
WildBee659
Newbee

Drives: 2011 335i E93, Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozhdbog View Post
Or... maybe I'll just leave well enough alone for a couple years and buy a new M3.

As it is, I've invested enough in my car to have just purchased an M3 in the first place.
My thought is the same. Sometimes I wish I had more power but its a daily driver and its fast enough. I don't feel like adding any mods but the LSD may save me some $$$ in tires by keeping even wear. Rear tires were replaced at 13k miles, the right rear was worn down to the threads. I'm at 20k miles now and the tires are good. I don't drive as spirited as when I first installed the PPK, trying to see if the tires last longer.LOL

Initial G, thank you for the info. I have a Quaife LSD in my 07 Charger with 450 rwhp and I haven't had any problems. Works great and no more one wheel spin, launches straight out of the hole shot.

2007 Dodge Charger SRT8 "SuperBee"
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8 (Wife's Car)
2011 BMW 335i/E93: M-Sport, PPK1, BMW PE, Black Kidney Grills
WildBee659 is offline   United_States
      06-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #25
Initial G
Initial G

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90 N55

Sure, glad to provide what I know about the Wavetrac LSD. I added the Alpina B3 flash around the same time as the LSD and also did the M3 subframe bushings while they put in the LSD. So I'm smiling everytime I take a drive ! Bottom line, I would do the LSD again and I am sure I'll appreciated it much more at the next track event.
Initial G is offline   United_States
      07-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
johnson47376
Private

Drives: 2011 335i e92 ///M

Not going to get too technical. If you're a spirited driver and have some basic knowledge in driving, as far as entering and exiting turns, the LSD allows you to get back into the throttle more confidently especially if the rear wheels break loose, the rear end is much more predictable. You will also gain slightly better traction out of the hole. During shifting, you wont break loose into a one wheel peel anymore. I really enjoy my Wavetrac LSD. I did a pumpkin swap with Harold from HP Autowerks and then installed it myself. Only issue I have is mild/moderate clunk during fast/ hard shifts. I thought doing a swap and not having to set the backlash myself would leave it worry-free, but maybe I did something wrong during my install. Doesn't bother me enough to tear it down and Ive had it over 6 months and no additional isssues.
      07-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson47376
Not going to get too technical. If you're a spirited driver and have some basic knowledge in driving, as far as entering and exiting turns, the LSD allows you to get back into the throttle more confidently especially if the rear wheels break loose, the rear end is much more predictable. You will also gain slightly better traction out of the hole. During shifting, you wont break loose into a one wheel peel anymore. I really enjoy my Wavetrac LSD. I did a pumpkin swap with Harold from HP Autowerks and then installed it myself. Only issue I have is mild/moderate clunk during fast/ hard shifts. I thought doing a swap and not having to set the backlash myself would leave it worry-free, but maybe I did something wrong during my install. Doesn't bother me enough to tear it down and Ive had it over 6 months and no additional isssues.
Thank you Johnson- this sounds like a much more compliant differential than my current open one.
Traction is gained, wheelspin is reduced, tire tread life is increased- how can you go wrong?
Maybe perhaps getting off an icy surface, or out of a snow drift perhaps- any winter driving experiences to report?
      07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #28
johnson47376
Private

Drives: 2011 335i e92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Thank you Johnson- this sounds like a much more compliant differential than my current open one.
Traction is gained, wheelspin is reduced, tire tread life is increased- how can you go wrong?
Maybe perhaps getting off an icy surface, or out of a snow drift perhaps- any winter driving experiences to report?
Living in West Virginia, we do have plenty of hills, and receive plenty of snow, but I cannot make a comparison between the two, because I installed the LSD before winter last year ( I guess I have had the LSD longer than 6 months lol) Given all the weather we get here, I ran General Tires G-max AS-03 on my staggered 19" wheel setup (Ultra High Performance All Season tire.) This past season I never managed to get my car "completely" stuck and climbed plenty of hills with a decent coverage of snow, anywhere from 1/2" -2" deep of snow. I'm not going to lie, it still managed to easily get loose in the rear end, but I'd like to believe it helped having the LSD. I found myself turning traction control off or at least to DTC to allow for more wheel spin. It almost seems that the normal traction control kicked in very easily and you would lose any momentum climbing hills. Any road that a plow truck had cleared at least once, I had no trouble. Deeper snow did cause me to have make 2nd attempts on some hills. You must keep in mind this is all with a 19inch all season 30 series tire! Throw on a smaller wheel with a dedicated snow tire would probably see much better results. Long story short, It may help me slightly, but in all honesty, stick to a 4X4 if you have that option.
      07-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #29
CrustyNoodle
First Lieutenant

Drives: 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson47376 View Post
Sorry to hear about your Wavetrac clunk but I have exactly the same thing with my Wavetrac! It really annoys me and I'm dead sure that if left unchecked will break something in the driveline. If you ever find a fix for it, I'd be all ears!

Other than this clunk, I find the Wavetrac to be a great enhancement and really makes driving much more fun (if a little lurid at times).
      07-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #30
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson47376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Living in West Virginia, we do have plenty of hills, and receive plenty of snow, but I cannot make a comparison between the two, because I installed the LSD before winter last year ( I guess I have had the LSD longer than 6 months lol) Given all the weather we get here, I ran General Tires G-max AS-03 on my staggered 19" wheel setup (Ultra High Performance All Season tire.) This past season I never managed to get my car "completely" stuck and climbed plenty of hills with a decent coverage of snow, anywhere from 1/2" -2" deep of snow. I'm not going to lie, it still managed to easily get loose in the rear end, but I'd like to believe it helped having the LSD. I found myself turning traction control off or at least to DTC to allow for more wheel spin. It almost seems that the normal traction control kicked in very easily and you would lose any momentum climbing hills. Any road that a plow truck had cleared at least once, I had no trouble. Deeper snow did cause me to have make 2nd attempts on some hills. You must keep in mind this is all with a 19inch all season 30 series tire! Throw on a smaller wheel with a dedicated snow tire would probably see much better results. Long story short, It may help me slightly, but in all honesty, stick to a 4X4 if you have that option.
Awesome- much appreciated. I imagine I might just be (nearly) unstoppable with my 18" Michelin Alpin PA3 winter square setup for winter then, if I do pull the trigger