E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Machine polishing advice

06-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpine White M Sport

Machine polishing advice

Im looking to purchase this product http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish.../prod_673.html

I've never used a machine polisher before and all im after is to take away the minor swirls etc, so have seen some videos on how to best use this product. Would this polisher be ok and would i need to prepare the car in anyway before polishing it?

Looking for any advice as i wouldnt want to mess any paintwork up but from the videos seen it seems pretty straight forward

Thanks
ECBMW is offline   United Kingdom
      06-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
Sparky68
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 335i JB4

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
BMW paint is quite tough, a DA should be fine just dont try to be to aggressive, dont go for anything with to much cut. My advice, buy a scrap wing or boot from a scrappy and practice on that.

Once you have mastered the DA you will love it and probably do what I did, move on to a rotary. Its good fun though if not a little tiring.
      06-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant

Thanks Sparky

Quote:
dont go for anything with to much cut
What do you mean by that? Im planning on using dodo lime prime - wash car and then dodo polish. In short all the same stuff i use when i do it by hand. Most likely i would use pads that are recommended.
      06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpina D3 MT

That machine in your shortcut will take a long time to correct BMW paint no matter what pad and polish combination that you use.

Try upping the budget to a Flex 3401 DA together with Menzerna Polishes it'll correct German paint easily.

I've just had to correct the paint on my car after some t*t decided to rest their shopping bag on my bonnet.
      06-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Lawton438
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

An aggressive cutting compound means it has a low grit number so a 500 grit compound is alot more aggressive at removing laquer than say a 4000 grit compound which would be more suited to final polishing. Hope this helps
      06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
fulcrum
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 330 M Sport

Decontaminate it first and clay otherwise you will be polishing crap into your panels.

I heartily recommend Scholl polishes
fulcrum is offline   United Kingdom
      06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Dizzle
Major

Drives: 320d M Sport

Where about you from? I ask as there's a business in Staffordshire that do offer some training, Autobrite Direct... I did their 'back 2 basics' day which included machine polishing.
Dizzle is offline   United Kingdom
      06-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant

Thanks everyone.

Dizzle - Newcastle

Jedimindtrix - Is this the product your referring to http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polish...prod_1099.html
      06-08-2013, 02:12 AM   #9
Jedimindtrix
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Alpina D3 MT

That's the one mate. It's hard to cause paint damage with a DA especially with BMW paint.

How about paying a detailer to fully correct your car it'd be a lot cheaper than buying a decent polisher?

There's a great detailer over in North Shields. I've got my car booked in for mid July because it needs the professional touch for a couple of things. It's the same detailer that corrected AxelF's 1M.
      06-08-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
ECBMW
Second Lieutenant

Thanks for that jedi.

I was considering getting someone else to do it but i thought why not give it a shot myself as most of the paint correction is really minor swirls that build up over time.
      06-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
dest
Captain

Drives: 330d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimindtrix View Post
How about paying a detailer to fully correct your car it'd be a lot cheaper than buying a decent polisher?

I'd buy the kit and learn personally, it pays for itself after one polish on your car!
I've not done any for a few years now but I used to detail all of my mates cars, its a nice little earner if they can't be bothered.
Even charging them very cheap mates rates its still easy money
dest is offline   United Kingdom
      06-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #12
old grey steve
335i E Maps Re Map, VRSF Catless DownPipes & More.

Drives: 335i SE

I bought a Meguiars G220 DA and as a novice to be fair it's easy to use and very reassuring providing you choose the pads you use carefully.

There's a couple of decent suppliers of machine/pads/compounds that I've discovered since I purchased mine last year. Delivery and service from these to supplier ex has been quite frankly stunning. Downside is that there's too much sometimes to choose from

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/ & http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/

I've used mine a good few times this year and I've grown on confidence. Using a mixture of 3", 4" and 6.5" pads I've managed to get a good number of light, medium scratches out of my Space Grey coupe that by hand I'd of not made a dent on.

Compounds and te right pads seem to be the key trees good knowledge info from the above suppliers and insperation re what can be done can be sought from http://detailingworld.co.uk/ but look beyond the uk site by clicking on the main pge and head for the showroom section to see why can be done.
old grey steve is offline   United Kingdom