E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Probably common question - what resists BMW brake dust?

05-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
N8N
Major

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Probably common question - what resists BMW brake dust?

Finally had a day where I had nowhere that I had to go and it wasn't raining out - started to clean up my winter wheels and tires so I could get them off the back porch and into storage.

As expected, even though I washed the car periodically over the winter, when I pulled them off they were covered in brake dust... didn't think it was a big deal. However, after washing, the fronts have definite spots of iron embedded in the finish that don't come off with a mitt and car wash soap.

These wheels were cleaned as best I could do in the fall and two coats of Wheel Wax applied before installation on the car. They were run for about 4 months give or take. I'm a little appalled at how bad they look now compared to how they looked when I installed them.

Is there something that I can buy/apply myself that will resist this better? I don't like having to use an acid cleaner every year on my wheels, and I'm more worried about my freshly refinished 19s.

I *did* let the 19s cure for a month or so before installation, and had some Opti-seal put on them after curing. I also have a full set of Hawk HPS pads on order because a) I was told my fronts were about 1mm from hitting the sensors and b) I'm sick of this brake dust BS.

So will my 19s be OK or should I plan on cleaning and resealing them when I replace my brake pads, and what should I use? More Opti-seal or something else?

Thanks!
N8N is offline   United_States
      05-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
fastmike
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E93 M3

If you want something more permanent than Opti Seal, try a coating like Gtechniq C5 or OptiCoat.
      05-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Otruba_843
Major

Drives: 2009 E90

Try IronX, clay, and compound on the spots the will not come out. If that doesn't work then your clear coat failed in those spot and the brake dust is embedded in the clear coat. The best thing you can put on your wheels is opti-coat. You can still use a wheel cleaner and it will not strip it. It will last almost forever. With wheel wax, your lucky to get a month MAYBE 2 depending on conditions. The best wheel wax if you don't want to go the opti-coat way is for sure Swissvax Autobahn. It has high heat resistance and has a teflon added to it for extremely better durability.
      05-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
N8N
Major

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
the wheels came clean with meguiar's wheel cleaner-I didn't have to use the last resort m-b metal dust remover. But I am assuming that the wheel cleaner stripped off my wheel wax which is a pita...
N8N is offline   United_States
      05-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #5
5soko
Brigadier General

Drives: M5

If your on a budget and want some quick non permanent, Sonax full effect wheel cleaner works amazing to clean wheels. Then add about 2 coats of poorboys wheel sealant. From there on, wash with PH balanced car shampoo that is made not to strip wax. This will give a long life to the wheel sealant.
Otherwise, otruba 843 hit it on the head.

Im trying the wheel sealant on now. Seems to be working well so far. I will see on the longetivty lasts.
      05-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Otruba_843
Major

Drives: 2009 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8N View Post
the wheels came clean with meguiar's wheel cleaner-I didn't have to use the last resort m-b metal dust remover. But I am assuming that the wheel cleaner stripped off my wheel wax which is a pita...
That wheel cleaner is actually acid if I recall right. I know the chrome one is for sure. The stuff always seems to get its way into my lungs when I use it and it makes me cough. Yes it will strip your wax off. The beauty of opti-coat is that you don't have to worry about it being stripped. Make sure you clean your wheels with clay then either IPA, Carpro Eraser, or Menzerna Top Inspection before applying a wax, sealant, or coating. This will make the longevity much longer.
      05-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
bob.g
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325xi

i bought a bottle of carpro dlux. durability is about a year. you can use it on your seals, wheels, headlights, ect. i use it for wheels and seals only, and after 1 application it looks like i have enough left to last me 30 years. costs 39$.
      06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
upstatedoc
Drone Expert

Drives: '09 BMW 328ix

subscribed

so...I can clean my wheels with black magic or other dedicated wheel cleaner and then apply opti-coat or do i need to clay before opti-coatin?
Countermeasure enthusiast.