E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Goodnight sweet Quarter of a Million Dollars



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #23
BayMoWe335
Major
 
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: US

Posts: 1,387
iTrader: (0)

Has anyone seen the Veyron VS the GTR on Youtube? If you haven't, it's below.

Spoiler: The GTR is highly modified and does OK hanging with the Veyron.

You'd be shocked to read the comments though. So many kids saying they'd rather have the GTR because it's so "badass" and the veyron is "overpriced." Or that the Alpha 12 GTR would smoke the Veyron. Are you kidding me?

I agree with you folks saying that it's still a damn Nissan. I really like the GTR and have a lot of respect for what it can do, but you'd rather have a modded GTR than a freaking Veyron?

I once tried to explain how different 252mph is than 200 mph in terms of physics, but kids still think the GTR is "almost" as fast from top speed perspective. Forget the reliability argument too. The Nissan engine is "bulletproof" and going fast is all that matters.

Point is, you'll never convince some people, so why bother. Anyone who says they'll take the GTR over the Veyron, Ferrari, or a Lambo is just nuts, IMO.

BayMoWe335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #24
Comet
Troll Harder
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Beirut

Posts: 596
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
All these Ferrari killer modded cars spend time in a garage to have the bolts re-tightened, etc... after every "smoke em" race that pushes them to the limit.
Whereas they take their Ferrari and park it as if nothing were.

People who claim they prefer the GTR to the Veyron are just talking out of spite because they know they can never afford a Veyron.

Everyone roots for the underdog because they, themselves are the underdog of their own life.
__________________
Comet is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #25
f30nynj
~~Bimmer Thriller~~
 
f30nynj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NY/NJ

Posts: 245
iTrader: (1)

I trust the shop after reading forums experiences & with being in top 20 it gives me some confidence. Though he may be making 1mil/yr but when money is spent on things that gave you lot of disappointment, I'd rather try to recoup some(most) green back.
__________________
F30 - 328i Imperial Blue/Beige Leather | Cosmetic mods
E90 - SOLD

Last edited by f30nynj; 05-13-2013 at 09:31 AM.
f30nynj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #26
Nate4641
Captain
 
Nate4641's Avatar
 
Drives: '07 M Roadster
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Africa

Posts: 825
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If I had the money for a GTR, I would buy a GTR. If I had the money for a Ferrari, I would not buy a GTR. If I had the money for both, bet your ass I'm buying both. I would rather have a Ferrari, but a GTR wouldn't be bad even if its a Nissan.
__________________
2007 ///M Roadster Interlagos Blue & Dark Beige top over Light Sepang extended leather - 19in Morr VS8.2--RPI exhaust--AFE Intake--DKF Hangers--Vibra Technics Engine Mounts--Cosmos Firewall Braces--BMW Strut Brace--Tekarbon CF Engine Cover--Aero Side Skirts--F10 M5 Knob--LeatherZ Mk4 Armrest--SmartTOP Roof Controller--Zeckhausen Racing CDV--DansDecals Reflector Decals--Clutch Stop--LED Trunk Light--Stubby Antenna
Nate4641 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 10:44 AM   #27
Maestro
Captain
 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 880
iTrader: (0)

All I can say is, fools are soon parted with their money.

Honestly, this guy deserved what he got.
Maestro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #28
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

i dated a girl who borrowed my m3 for a bit, and then one day her friend came by to floss his g35. she drove it around town... said it was a little faster, but still felt like typical japanese car.

that's the fit and finish that the euros bring to a table. lexus is also a great car, just don't hit anything with it.

anyway, whatever you can do to a gtr, has been done on some 911 turbo.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
 
My335iTT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah

Posts: 432
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
You still could do the same with an exotic car. Yes you are correct modding is a serious hobby and it should be fun. But spending 250k in 22 months on modding a car is serious business and it should be taken as such. Modding is a journey on its own and it is creating something unique and you can do that with any car. Also as a modding addict their difference between just throwing your money away and creating something unique. In this case, what I am seeing is a man that is getting excited about having the fastest GT-R. not having something unique. being the fastest doesn't make you unique.

My buddies e30 318i modded was unique. One of a kind BBS rims limited production run (they still retail for close to 2000 just for the set), Spoiler design by BBS for BMW's e30 only 150 made, Evo 3 interior, and I can go on and on.

Of course everybody has a different opinion and idea of what it means to be a modder.




Sorry but lets do some basic math.. $250000 over 22 months or 1.83 years. Cause 4 years is 48 months. First bullet point 22 months, second bullet point over 250k That is roughly $136363 dollars a year. That is extra cash... liquid money, that does not include everyday expensive, last minute bs, etc. if you got that much money to spend every year just on mods for the car and nothing else... Sorry, money is not an object at that point.

When you got that much to spend on a car just to mod it... than come back and say money is an object. I can count on one hand how many people I know that have that kind of cash just to dish out on a car.

As I said, it is his fault as well. Have you heard the statement "It takes two to tango". When you are investing that much money in your own car... you as an owner better be on top of it and go check out what is going on and the work that is being performed. He clearly didn't do it till the last straw that broke the camel back.

Also just because a shop or entity is as the top of a list does not mean anything. Woo... wow top 20 shops in the US. Funny... the doctor that did plastic surgery on my father was top 5 in the US. Yea... didn't turn out so well. Also the fact that post 5 shows the same story but it is on a different platform of a car. That is already two cars, how many more are there? Oh yea... how reliable is that chart of yours? When they hit top 20, when was that survey taken? what were the criteria? etc. Do you see the point I am trying to make here?

look I feel bad for that guy I really do. That is a lot of money to go down the drain. I lost close to 30K in dumping a sound system in my dinan 5. Whose fault was that? The shops or mine? it was both, I should have checked on the work the shop was doing. I had to deal with them close to 2 years to get some of my money back because of their crappy work. I have been through a similar scenario and it does suck. Granted mine was for audio and his was for performance mods.. but what is happening with him is similar to what happened with me.


__________________
2007 335i E92 | Space Gray | Piano Black Grill | LED Angel Eye Upgrade | M3 Style Front Bumper | BMS Dual Cone Intake | JB4 G5ISO Board | More to Come! |
SeanE92 - SCAMMER
My335iTT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #30
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
wooo... that hurt me so bad. You got anything else in that pee body mind of yours. Glad you feel special. How long did it take you to find that diddy on the internet.

Go home and stop wasting your miserable life and do something productive. OOOPPPSSS to late. Get out of the fire before you get burned son.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #31
Comet
Troll Harder
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Beirut

Posts: 596
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I disagree with this... A correctly modded car will be just as reliable as a stock super-car, especially the GT-R (obviously not in this case).
In what world? Maybe this was true for older super cars, but not for today's. New Ferraris/Lambos/Porsches are super reliable to the point of DD.

Let's assume this is true, in most cases, cars do not come out "correctly" modded I'd say 99% of the time. Even race engines are usually good for one race and then get scrapped.
__________________
Comet is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #32
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,818
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Ah, here comes the butt hurt... It was only a matter of time.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #33
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Templar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One of the coasts...

Posts: 1,818
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
It wasn't directed at you.
__________________
'11 BMW E92 ///M3 - ZCP and DCT
'13 Toyota Tundra - 4x4 Platinum CrewMax, 5.7l iForce V8
Templar is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
Rotorocious
Major
 
Rotorocious's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,459
iTrader: (3)

http://gtrlife.com/forums/topic/8529...-airstrip-ban/


More shenanigans
Rotorocious is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #35
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Looks like they kissed and made up.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
here are my observations

1) in a short period of time he was able to acquire and spend $250,000 on upgrades
2) that means the man is making some really nice money (kudos to him)
3) the most expensive gtr costs $120,00
4) that brings a total of $370,000 (yes.. yes, he probably didn't pay off the car and is doing payments but still)
5) seems like money is no object to
6) and he seems like he want to show off (ie.. only gt-r with the specified turbo kit, looking to break records, total hp 1300, etc.)

with that being said, their is only once question that comes to mind...

why not have started to something else... like a Lamborghini, or a Ferrari, maybe a Maserati or possibly even a Mclaren?

I don't know but if I had that kind of money, even as great of a car a gt-r is I would go in another direction. Secondly, if I was going to do that kind of modding I would make sure the shop is legit on what they do.

Both are at fault. He is at fault for not checking up on the car more often to see what the heck they are doing and the owner is at fault for being such a d-bag and taking him for a ride. It is people like the owner of the shop that give independent shop a bad name.

I may be wrong but that is my two cents or how ever much it is worth.
GTR in a lightly modded form can easily beat any of the intro exotics and it'll still be a better DD car in terms of reliability. This guy did go overboard but it sounded like he had a goal of being the fastest GTR. He was buying bragging rights; breaking records isn't supposed to be a cheap endeavor. He also spent more money than he needed to due to the extra parts he bought.

And as others have said, this was supposed to be a reputable shop.

Blake's buddy used to have fastest GTR in the US and probably dumped $100K+ into it. So that's already spending as much on modding as the price of the car. Where do you draw the line? It's a hobby right? People mod the shit out of the aesthetics to make a show car too.

Now if this guy started with a lambo platform then modded, he'd just spent more money than he did on the GTR just due to the more expensive price of the exotic. I seriously doubt the modding cost would be less than GTR too. Also can't imagine an exotic being more reliable or cheaper in maintenance cost.

He could spent $370K (I'm sure he can recoup some losses on some extra parts too) on GTR or half a mil on a modded exotic with similar performance. Even if the exotic did perform better, is the increase in performance worth the additional cost? And will he be able to challenge lambo records with that level of modding? This guy was simply fucked by a shop.

Edit: OH yeah, and his reason for not checking up on his car at every corner. Pretty much as I expected he works a lot. All these mods don't pay for themselves.
"- I work a lot and to take days off of work is a big deal. I did that in order to participate in this event."
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #37
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
 
My335iTT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Utah

Posts: 432
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
wooo... that hurt me so bad. You got anything else in that pee body mind of yours. Glad you feel special. How long did it take you to find that diddy on the internet.

Go home and stop wasting your miserable life and do something productive. OOOPPPSSS to late. Get out of the fire before you get burned son.
You mad bro?
__________________
2007 335i E92 | Space Gray | Piano Black Grill | LED Angel Eye Upgrade | M3 Style Front Bumper | BMS Dual Cone Intake | JB4 G5ISO Board | More to Come! |
SeanE92 - SCAMMER
My335iTT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #38
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post
You mad bro?
do you have a reading disability, a comprehension disability, or are you just disabled in general cause you mad bro doesn't really send a message.

Cool story bro would have been better. Seems you have a lot of learning to do kid.

P.S. glad that was short enough for you to read, your attention span doesn't flatter you either.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"

Last edited by Zeros and ones; 05-14-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #39
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
GTR in a lightly modded form can easily beat any of the intro exotics and it'll still be a better DD car in terms of reliability. This guy did go overboard but it sounded like he had a goal of being the fastest GTR. He was buying bragging rights; breaking records isn't supposed to be a cheap endeavor. He also spent more money than he needed to due to the extra parts he bought.

And as others have said, this was supposed to be a reputable shop.

Blake's buddy used to have fastest GTR in the US and probably dumped $100K+ into it. So that's already spending as much on modding as the price of the car. Where do you draw the line? It's a hobby right? People mod the shit out of the aesthetics to make a show car too.

Now if this guy started with a lambo platform then modded, he'd just spent more money than he did on the GTR just due to the more expensive price of the exotic. I seriously doubt the modding cost would be less than GTR too. Also can't imagine an exotic being more reliable or cheaper in maintenance cost.

He could spent $370K (I'm sure he can recoup some losses on some extra parts too) on GTR or half a mil on a modded exotic with similar performance. Even if the exotic did perform better, is the increase in performance worth the additional cost? And will he be able to challenge lambo records with that level of modding? This guy was simply fucked by a shop.

Edit: OH yeah, and his reason for not checking up on his car at every corner. Pretty much as I expected he works a lot. All these mods don't pay for themselves.
"- I work a lot and to take days off of work is a big deal. I did that in order to participate in this event."
these are all very good points. I also know how it feels to work a lot and taking a day off is a big deal, especially when you weigh in how much that day is going to cost you to do something than actually work. But that is still no excuse to not be able to check in on your car.

Their are other avenues that can be taken, such as having a friends you trust to check on the car for you and take a look at the work. I have seen shops take detailed pictures of all work performed on the car and e-mail to customer (I have experienced this myself). I have also seen shops take videos of work performed on car and than sent to customer. These are all done on request and shop will accommodate customers that make those types of requests when they see a lot of money coming their way.

He was royally fucked by the shop and it sucks. But as a customer you must be diligent in what the shop is doing to the car just as much as the shop needs to be knowledgeable in what they are doing to the car

P.S. Thank you for taking a calm tone and expressing your view point and not going on the attack.. It is very much appreciated and some users need to learn and understand how to do this.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

the most modded car i've ever been in, was a college buddy who had an fd rx7. by the time he gave me a ride, he was on his 5th engine (though engines were "only" ~$1000 each).

also knew a guy who had an 11 second integra turbo. too much money, too much shop time.

it was nice, but i have yet to see anyone with a heavily modded car that is realistically dd. from stock, the most i'd go is bolt-ons and a supercharger/turbo (or upgraded software if it's factory boosted).
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
Kroy
Brigadier General
 
Kroy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 3,035
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeros and ones View Post
these are all very good points. I also know how it feels to work a lot and taking a day off is a big deal, especially when you weigh in how much that day is going to cost you to do something than actually work. But that is still no excuse to not be able to check in on your car.

Their are other avenues that can be taken, such as having a friends you trust to check on the car for you and take a look at the work. I have seen shops take detailed pictures of all work performed on the car and e-mail to customer (I have experienced this myself). I have also seen shops take videos of work performed on car and than sent to customer. These are all done on request and shop will accommodate customers that make those types of requests when they see a lot of money coming their way.

He was royally fucked by the shop and it sucks. But as a customer you must be diligent in what the shop is doing to the car just as much as the shop needs to be knowledgeable in what they are doing to the car

P.S. Thank you for taking a calm tone and expressing your view point and not going on the attack.. It is very much appreciated and some users need to learn and understand how to do this.
I vaguely remember he asked them for pics of progress. And he later did go pick up spare parts with his brother. I skimmed through the original thread he posted about the experience.; not exactly sure the time lapse.
Kroy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #42
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
 
asdflkijd's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 5,503
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
I love how all the trolls come out in threads like these.
asdflkijd is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      05-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #43
Zeros and ones
First Lieutenant
 
Zeros and ones's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i MT6 M Sport, Dinan 5
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 128i  [2.83]
2000 Dinan 5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroy View Post
I vaguely remember he asked them for pics of progress. And he later did go pick up spare parts with his brother. I skimmed through the original thread he posted about the experience.; not exactly sure the time lapse.
Yes I remember reading that as well. I also did not see how much time had lapse either. Because of this and his statements of him being busy I am going to infer that it was not a reasonable amount of time.

Even though he did ask for pictures... how often was he supposed to get updates from the shop or how often did he tell the shop to send him picture updates?

I just can not see this to be all one sided. What I can say is that the majority of the fault lies on the shop but he is not completely scotts free either.
__________________
"Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. NOBODY!!!!!"
Zeros and ones is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #44
F1Venom
Captain
 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 814
iTrader: (0)

And that's why you buy a Gallardo and send it over to UGR.
F1Venom is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST