E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Anyone have the Cobb FMIC yet??

05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
SfValley335i
Colonel
Afghanistan
Rep

Drives: Current:135i Sold:335i sedan

Send a message via AIM to SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
COBB makes a great stepped-core intercooler, and is probably one of the best for the N54. With boost being maxed, I see flat IAT's that hardly ever go over 100F, throughout multiple gear pulls in South Florida. I have the Helix, but the IAT suppression characteristics are the same with COBB's FMIC.

Regarding the Helix comments, Helix has the same stepped core with a better end tank design (slightly less pressure drop), and also has aerodynamic "bars" in between the charge air rows to better direct air into the core. This probably doesn't make a huge difference on stock turbos, but lower pressure drop is always wanted.

Helix > Wagner > Cobb looking at end tanks
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #24
335twins
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i, 2012 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SfValley335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
COBB makes a great stepped-core intercooler, and is probably one of the best for the N54. With boost being maxed, I see flat IAT's that hardly ever go over 100F, throughout multiple gear pulls in South Florida. I have the Helix, but the IAT suppression characteristics are the same with COBB's FMIC.

Regarding the Helix comments, Helix has the same stepped core with a better end tank design (slightly less pressure drop), and also has aerodynamic "bars" in between the charge air rows to better direct air into the core. This probably doesn't make a huge difference on stock turbos, but lower pressure drop is always wanted.

Helix > Wagner > Cobb looking at end tanks
Wagner better than Cobb?
      05-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335twins View Post
Wagner better than Cobb?
Yes, but does it matter which one is the worst, when you can go with the best?

I would not go with Helix only if for some reason Id like to have other than stepped design. Those few who have ATs needing the transmission cooling and track their cars and have no proper additional oil/coolant cooling, could prefer a design that does not come in front of the radiator at all, i.e. give up some of the IAT cooling in favor of additional coolant cooling. Also, stepped core is efficient in cooling, but if you use meth, low pressure drop could be preferred over the cooling ability.

The current enhanced 2nd version of Helix stepped core design, is the perfect stepped core FMIC with minimized pressure drop and maximized efficiency. No cutting required.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #26
Karura
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 335is DCT

^i thought the helix needed cutting and had bad pressure drops compared to a true 5" intercooler. This is why I've been favouring the ETS
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #27
jippii ensio
Major
Rep

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karura View Post
^i thought the helix needed cutting and had bad pressure drops compared to a true 5" intercooler. This is why I've been favouring the ETS
No need for cutting and the pressure drops of Helix v2 are not bad. You want the stepped core design for their high efficiency. The pressure drops are not the best having a step, but out of the stepped core design FMICs the Helix end tanks seem to flow the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #28
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jippii ensio View Post
No need for cutting and the pressure drops of Helix v2 are not bad. You want the stepped core design for their high efficiency. The pressure drops are not the best having a step, but out of the stepped core design FMICs the Helix end tanks seem to flow the best.
+1. You will see the best IAT suppression with a stepped core for a small tradeoff in pressure drop. I have the Helix and love it, does wonders in S FL heat.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBB Tuning View Post
Install is not too bad at all, but I know we have quite a few them on the street, so maybe someone else will chime in. In the meantime, here's the install guide if you'd like to check it out:
https://cobb.box.com/7b1500instructions

-Josh
Did you guys test fit this setup on a car with ACC? Will it clear?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #30
eric@h
United_States
Rep

Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

There's no cutting with the Helix, which is available in a GB right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #31
Brule
Brendan
Australia
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i e92 6sp man

Anyone with cobb fmic have any logs?