E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > LUX H8 V4 Offiicial Picture Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)



Went out and snapped a few pictures of the lights, with the iPhone, before it starts storming. The pictures don't really do the lights justice. The inner rings are really clear with no blur and the outer rings have a nice amount of light for being a E90. Set at 5200k by the way.



Video of the flickering when the lights turn off, I can't imagine that they are supposed to be like this. I don't know whats up.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #46
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
roccob1123's Avatar
2
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

wow that flickering is weird, is that the way its supposed to turn off and on?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #47
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccob1123 View Post
wow that flickering is weird, is that the way its supposed to turn off and on?
I pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. Waiting for Marc or someone to chime in and let me know whats up.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #48
MasterWang
Captain
14
Rep
752
Posts

 
Drives: 335i e92
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lawrence, KS

iTrader: (2)

Mine does that too, doesn't really bother me though.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #49
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
2
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

WOW hope mines doesnt do that as even the cheap ebay ones (canbus ones) were not doing that and they were 1/8th of the price !
__________________
2009 E92 335xi - MT6 - Black Sapphire Met - Coral Red - Sport & Cold Weather Pkg - VMR VB3 Gunmetal - Aero Lip - CF Trunk Spoiler - LUX V4 - BMS CDV & Clutch Stop - BMS OCC - RD Front Strut Brace - COBB AP V3 - COBB Catback Exhaust - Injen DCI - ER CP w/ Tial BOV - Daily Driven
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #50
Karman15
Private
Canada
2
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335 View Post
I pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. Waiting for Marc or someone to chime in and let me know whats up.

What K setting did you set them at?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karman15 View Post
What K setting did you set them at?
As mentioned in the above post, they are set at 5200k.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #52
mex2309
Private First Class
mex2309's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
190
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335i MSport X-Drive AW
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Did you ever have the V3's? Like everyone else, want to see if they are brighter as LUX is claiming. By the way, nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335 View Post
As mentioned in the above post, they are set at 5200k.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #53
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex2309 View Post
Did you ever have the V3's? Like everyone else, want to see if they are brighter as LUX is claiming. By the way, nice car
Thanks! Nope never had the v3, was one of those waiting for more 5000k and then these came out.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #54
M3RR1CK
New Member
0
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 3

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccob1123 View Post
wow that flickering is weird, is that the way its supposed to turn off and on?
I pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. Waiting for Marc or someone to chime in and let me know whats up.
Yeah I am curious if everyone's lights are doing this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 11:39 PM   #55
Karman15
Private
Canada
2
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 328i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

I'm on the fence to buy these now...because of the flickering issue...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #56
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RR1CK View Post
Yeah I am curious if everyone's lights are doing this.
+1 I'm interested to know if everyones does this
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #57
Hedoniste
Lieutenant
Hedoniste's Avatar
27
Rep
596
Posts

 
Drives: M3 & X1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Blablaille

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335


Went out and snapped a few pictures of the lights, with the iPhone, before it starts storming. The pictures don't really do the lights justice. The inner rings are really clear with no blur and the outer rings have a nice amount of light for being a E90. Set at 5200k by the way.



Video of the flickering when the lights turn off, I can't imagine that they are supposed to be like this. I don't know whats up.
Same thing happened on my E92. So I don't think it's a problem. It's so much better than stock and really brighter than V3 !
__________________
2015 BMW M3 DCT (AW/FSO)
Previous M's:
2011 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT ZCP
2007 BMW M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #58
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
roccob1123's Avatar
2
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Still no response from lux? I cant purchase them till I know if the flickering is supposed to happen.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccob1123 View Post
Still no response from lux? I cant purchase them till I know if the flickering is supposed to happen.
I contacted him about it and he said, "The stock halogen lights will not flicker because halogen bulbs take a long time to react to the electrical current, and appear to dim smoothly. Because of the electronics we use, as the car lowers the voltage on the headlights it causes our lights to flicker at the end. This is normal."

The flickering isn't the end of the world, at least in my eyes. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause any long-term problems, which apparently it won't. That being said I'm very pleased with the lights.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #60
roccob1123
Second Lieutenant
roccob1123's Avatar
2
Rep
219
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335 View Post
I contacted him about it and he said, "The stock halogen lights will not flicker because halogen bulbs take a long time to react to the electrical current, and appear to dim smoothly. Because of the electronics we use, as the car lowers the voltage on the headlights it causes our lights to flicker at the end. This is normal."

The flickering isn't the end of the world, at least in my eyes. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause any long-term problems, which apparently it won't. That being said I'm very pleased with the lights.
hmm good to know, thanks. I just like the current feature of the dimming on the stock angel eyes. O well not really a deal breaker.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #61
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
dwells's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,522
Posts

 
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New England

iTrader: (5)

Wow, that's awfully sloppy for a $300 product. Could've easily been avoided with the proper driver for the LEDs.
__________________
| 335i coupe | Monaco Blue | JB4 G5 ISO | Style 313M | Huper 40% tint | Aero lip | CSL trunk spoiler | M3 sideskirts
| Paint-matched grilles | Painted reflectors | GP Thunder II angel eyes | Smoked LED sidemarkers | Self-coded |
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #62
Braumin
First Lieutenant
6
Rep
321
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Regina, SK, CAN

iTrader: (0)

I agree that's not that difficult to solve. I think it looks terrible and for $300? Maybe I'll hold off and see if they can fix this.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #63
AndreyT
Captain
AndreyT's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
967
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California

iTrader: (0)

I would guess that LUX V4 are designed to simulate gradual fade-out effect when you turn off the car (just like it works with incandescent AE bulbs). Since LEDs are not really dimmable, in order to simulate the fade-out effect the LEDs are pulse-width modulated (PWMed or "flickered") with high frequency. This high-frequency flickering is not noticeable to the eye. It does indeed look like gradual fade-out to the eye. However, if you attempt to record it on video, it will become noticeable because of the interference between PWM frequency of the light and frame frequency of the camera. The exaggerated low-frequency flickering that you see in the video above is exactly that: an optical illusion created by camera. It should not not look like that in real life to a human eye.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #64
iturbo_bmw
Captain
iturbo_bmw's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Man i just installed mine and I'm pretty disappointed. I went from stock to these cause i thought buy nice or buy twice. I knew the outer ring wouldn't be as bright as the inner one but i didn't think the difference would be this big!!! I can barely see the outer ring! This is in direct sunlight though so hopefully they will be better at night. What really disappointed me was that they flicker when they turn off!!!! For how much they cost they should not flicker and I bought them cause i thought lux didn't flicker.. I just looked at the lux website they say "no flickering on start up"..start up, not turning off... Other than that i guess they're better than stock. They do not even compare to the newer bmw AE's if your wondering. These pics are at 6900k










__________________
09 335i e92 n54 | AW on CR | AT w/ Alpina Flash | JB4 G5 ISO w/ e85 BMS flash| BMS DCI | ETS 5" FMIC | VRSF DP | TCK SA Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | M3 CAs | ARC 8 18x9 F 18x9.5R | 255/35 275/35 mich pss |
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #65
iturbo_bmw
Captain
iturbo_bmw's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
633
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i e92
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
I would guess that LUX V4 are designed to simulate gradual fade-out effect when you turn off the car (just like it works with incandescent AE bulbs). Since LEDs are not really dimmable, in order to simulate the fade-out effect the LEDs are pulse-width modulated (PWMed or "flickered") with high frequency. This high-frequency flickering is not noticeable to the eye. It does indeed look like gradual fade-out to the eye. However, if you attempt to record it on video, it will become noticeable because of the interference between PWM frequency of the light and frame frequency of the camera. The exaggerated low-frequency flickering that you see in the video above is exactly that: an optical illusion created by camera. It should not not look like that in real life to a human eye.

The flickering is definitely noticeable in real life to your human eye. I can clearly see them flicker as they turn off
__________________
09 335i e92 n54 | AW on CR | AT w/ Alpina Flash | JB4 G5 ISO w/ e85 BMS flash| BMS DCI | ETS 5" FMIC | VRSF DP | TCK SA Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | M3 CAs | ARC 8 18x9 F 18x9.5R | 255/35 275/35 mich pss |
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #66
Datsik
Lieutenant
Datsik's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
I would guess that LUX V4 are designed to simulate gradual fade-out effect when you turn off the car (just like it works with incandescent AE bulbs). Since LEDs are not really dimmable, in order to simulate the fade-out effect the LEDs are pulse-width modulated (PWMed or "flickered") with high frequency. This high-frequency flickering is not noticeable to the eye. It does indeed look like gradual fade-out to the eye. However, if you attempt to record it on video, it will become noticeable because of the interference between PWM frequency of the light and frame frequency of the camera. The exaggerated low-frequency flickering that you see in the video above is exactly that: an optical illusion created by camera. It should not not look like that in real life to a human eye.
You obviously do not have these angel eyes then because it is EXTREMELY noticeable to the human eye that they do flicker when turning off. Not only do they flicker but they go from white to blue while flickering. It would be best to have the product or some experience with it before you state what they do and don't do. It has nothing to do with the camera, if you read my first post you would notice that I mention the flickering issue and only posted the video to show others what I was talking about.
__________________
2011 Alpine White/Black E90 M3 Competition, Technology, Premium Sound, Cold Weather, Comfort
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST