E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dyno Runs: Procede vs Xede Custom

09-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Dyno Runs: Procede vs Xede Custom

I'll say this again...I am doing all of the dynos independently. I'm spending my own money and I'm getting nothing for free. I am only doing all of these dynos to see what gets the most power, and to show the community these results. All of my dynos were done on the same dyno using the same car.

After dynoing my car with the UR high flow downpipes and Procede, I was a little bummed that I didn't really increase power from my previous dyno that was just with the procede. People were saying that the reason for this was because I needed a custom tune. I tried contacting the vishnu guys about this custom tune, but I never heard back from them. I'm sure they were busy working on the v2.
I guess they hooked up Walked U recently, and did the same thing for him, so maybe they'll release this mapping to the general public.

Since AA had a custom mapping, I really wanted to test this out to see what the increase was.
They sent me 2 programs since they have the switch. They didn't tell me the difference, but after dynoing both programs today, it's obvious that they sent me the regular Xede program and the downpipe program.

The custom tuning really does help. You can see that there is an increase throughout most of the curve, and not just at peak.

All runs were done using 91 Octane. I did 3 runs with each program and recorded air to fuel and boost.
You'll see that there are some skipping in numbers. This is because I screwed up with recording the runs.(I thought I was recording but I wasn't then when I pushed the button to stop the runs, I started recording the braking of the drum.)

So we have:

The first graph is program "1" (which I think is the regular xede).
The second graph is program "0" (which I think is the custom xede).
The third graph is the procede v1.47 with downpipes.
The last graph is the best run of each program (xede, custom xede, procede)

Please don't say that since these runs were done on different days then I will get different results because of the different temperatures. This is not true since the dyno uses correction factors for this. I am using the STD correction factor which puts everything at sea level and at the same temperature and same barometric pressure. I could use the "uncorrected" graphs, but this would be unfair.

Now, enjoy the results.
Attached Images

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM

Last edited by Mr. 5; 09-15-2007 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Oh yeah,
I also put on the intake that I made with the heat shield after I tested out the custom exede to see if there was an increase.
To those that didn't see the thread of the intake that I made, it's here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=custom+intake

I wanted it to be fair to the stock intake so I put the cover from the stock intake over the box that I made when I dyno'd the custom intake.
I wanted to do this because in real world conditons the hood closes on the heat shield box, so the only air that it would get would be from the outside.

After doing this, it made me think about other companies showing gains with intakes. It makes me wonder if they just leave the hood open and have a fan blowing directly on the intake filter. If this is the case, no wonder it would gain more hp than a closed system aka the stock box.

After looking at the dyno results, I'll never put this on again nor will I mess with another intake. I've concluded that the stock intake is great and just replacing the stock filter with a higher flow filter would most likely be the best thing to do.

Look at how much horse power I lost.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
L8Apex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 997 turbo

Good stuff Mr 5! I wonder if the loss of HP with the custom intake was due to the piping that you used, it looked restricted. Also the cone filter that you used does not look big enough and could have lost surface area compared to the stock filter. Either way, I applaud your efforts in the quest for more HP!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
Good stuff Mr 5! I wonder if the loss of HP with the custom intake was due to the piping that you used, it looked restricted. Also the cone filter that you used does not look big enough and could have lost surface area compared to the stock filter. Either way, I applaud your efforts in the quest for more HP!
True. I think you're correct, but I don't want to mess with anything else at the moment. As of right now, I'll enjoy the stock box.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 05:49 PM   #5
ulises 335i
these cars waste alot of fucking gas
Rep
Drives: 335i montego blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
True. I think you're correct, but I don't want to mess with anything else at the moment. As of right now, I'll enjoy the stock box.
yeah , if you dont want to buy an intake you can always go with the k&n drop in.

there going for $32.00 on ebay
      09-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulises 335i View Post
yeah , if you dont want to buy an intake you can always go with the k&n drop in.

there going for $32.00 on ebay
Well, I'm currently waiting for a filter made by Helene Performance. Their air filters are top notch with excellent filtration in addition to high flow.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Holy sh*t do you have your own dynojet? If you don't you must have a buddy that owns one!

I will say you have made one helluva effort to figure all this stuff out!
      09-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Nice work Mr.5 so in conclusion it appears this, let me know if I got this right:

Best run (combined HP & Tq to get highest total value to consider "best" run:

PROcede normal v1.47 tune with DP's:
324.58 rwhp
365.48 rwtq
690.09 combined

Xede on normal tune with DP's:
325.22 rwhp
361.48 rwtq
686.7 combined

Xede with DP's on DP tune:
327.05 rwhp
373.03 rwtq
700.08 combined

What's interesting is it doesn't seem (like Shiv pointed out in his test tune with Walked U's car on DP's) that peak HP didn't rise much with the DP tune, but clearly it made a bit more torque.

I agree with you on the intake too.

PS, you car is a manual correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by normtrum View Post
Holy sh*t do you have your own dynojet? If you don't you must have a buddy that owns one!

I will say you have made one helluva effort to figure all this stuff out!
I guess I can call him a buddy since I've gone there so many times, but I am paying every time I go so it's still business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
Great stuff.... boost and AFR are awesome, just awesome to show.... this is the best DYNO to date!!!

im not the best at graphs and all but is it right that the PROcede ran the highest boost?

also is 10-11.9 running lean for those boost levels, the SSTT runs the same AFR with less boost.

CUSTOM tune:rocks:

btw did u notice with the custom intake, u lost boost and u hit a 12 on the AFR, is that the ECU correcting things?? more air more fuel?
I think the AFRs are fine. What's interesting is that the custome tune does run a bit richer. You are right about the boost. The procede runs more boost than the Xede.

As far as the intake, I just think that the engine was just starving for air and so were the turbos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post

What's interesting is it doesn't seem (like Shiv pointed out in his test tune with Walked U's car on DP's) that peak HP didn't rise much with the DP tune, but clearly it made a bit more torque.

I agree with you on the intake too.

PS, you car is a manual correct?
It might have not increased in peak but throughout the power band it did get better.
Does Walked U have a dyno or did you just hear something?

BTW, my car is a manual.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:33 PM   #10
jjlawyer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i '07 6mt

This is great stuff. I find it interesting that the proceed is running .5 to 1 lb more boost but seeing lower power and torque
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlawyer View Post
This is great stuff. I find it interesting that the proceed is running .5 to 1 lb more boost but seeing lower power and torque
Yep. I thought that was pretty interesting too.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
5soko
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M5

Great dyno day as usual, ur gonna be member of the year for sure.
i dont understand the AFR, i know this is off topic but i have seen turbo tuners run 11.9 from about 5.4krpm on> and it runs at 12psi?.. why do people say it runs lean, when Xede and Procede run at higher boost levels at 11.9 AFR aswell. any comments, im not sure how to read the afr. thanks alot and great work again
      09-15-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

I've invited a girl with an XEDE car to a dyno shootout against my PROcede car. What I really want to do, though, is wait a couple of weeks, so I can go first with 1.47, put her car up with the XEDE, and then put my car back up with v2.

I really think v2 is going to squash this comparo. A tune is only as good as the tuner who mapped the car.

I'm not busting on the XEDE, I had one in my Evo for a couple of years, but the PROcede has more inputs/outputs, a great team (Vishnu) supporting it, and hardware that is better suited for future updates. At this point, the XEDE has zero provisions to control Vanos as far as I know. That won't be a problem with the PROcede. I don't know if the XEDE still uses solenoid interception and what ends up being a "firing percentage" for boost control, but it was a pain back in Evo days when the weather changed. The PROcede has PID based boost control, which is straight needle repeatable.

All that to say, these graphs are really close. They won't be when v2 hits the streets.

Edit: I'm also going to run the comparo on a Dyno Dynamics, so we can have a lot more precise view of boost and fueling.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 11:36 PM   #14
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I knew the V2 was going to get brought up. There's been so many people talking about how much extra power it's going to give, but nobody even has it yet.
I placed my order just like everyone else, and we will see the differences once I get it. The bottom line is that today I learned that the Custom Xede makes more power throughout the power band than the Procede V1.47.
V2 is a whole other story, and I will see how much power the V2 will increase over the Custom Xede.
Again, all of the runs that I'm doing is to find the tuner with the best power and the safest power, and not to argue which is "better". "Better" could be to each, his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
I've invited a girl with an XEDE car to a dyno shootout against my PROcede car. What I really want to do, though, is wait a couple of weeks, so I can go first with 1.47, put her car up with the XEDE, and then put my car back up with v2.

I really think v2 is going to squash this comparo. A tune is only as good as the tuner who mapped the car.

I'm not busting on the XEDE, I had one in my Evo for a couple of years, but the PROcede has more inputs/outputs, a great team (Vishnu) supporting it, and hardware that is better suited for future updates. At this point, the XEDE has zero provisions to control Vanos as far as I know. That won't be a problem with the PROcede. I don't know if the XEDE still uses solenoid interception and what ends up being a "firing percentage" for boost control, but it was a pain back in Evo days when the weather changed. The PROcede has PID based boost control, which is straight needle repeatable.

All that to say, these graphs are really close. They won't be when v2 hits the streets.

Edit: I'm also going to run the comparo on a Dyno Dynamics, so we can have a lot more precise view of boost and fueling.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #15
Noize
Under the radar
United_States
Rep
Drives: FWD in reverse

Quote:
I knew the V2 was going to get brought up. There's been so many people talking about how much extra power it's going to give, but nobody even has it yet.
I placed my order just like everyone else, and we will see the differences once I get it. The bottom line is that today I learned that the Custom Xede makes more power throughout the power band than the Procede V1.47.
V2 is a whole other story, and I will see how much power the V2 will increase over the Custom Xede.
Again, all of the runs that I'm doing is to find the tuner with the best power and the safest power, and not to argue which is "better". "Better" could be to each, his own.
Of course a custom map for a car with downpipes is going to make more power than one with a base map that wasn't intended for downpipes. I bet WalkedU's car would be really interesting on that same dyno.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #16
bnj
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

It is not a custom map for downpipes. However, this must be the best map there is at the market available right now for any exhaust enhanced car. I was a bit disappointed that Vishnu did never have stage 1 map last spring nor later.
What is interesting is that even this exhaust map does not make the DP investment to look good. Thank you Mr. 5. You provide excellent info.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noize View Post
Of course a custom map for a car with downpipes is going to make more power than one with a base map that wasn't intended for downpipes. I bet WalkedU's car would be really interesting on that same dyno.
I'd love to see Walked U's car on the same dyno as well. He lives around here, so I'll contact him to see if he wants to do some runs.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:59 AM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Great post. Thanks for your efforts!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #19
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
It might have not increased in peak but throughout the power band it did get better.
Does Walked U have a dyno or did you just hear something?

BTW, my car is a manual.
Shiv posted in the Walked U thread with his races that his "tune" with the DP's didn't show any more peak power than his own personal car without DP's.
I figured you had a manual as it's consistent with showing about 10 hp and 5-7 lbs ft of torque more than autos on a dynojet.
Which shop dynojet you using?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #20
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Shiv posted in the Walked U thread with his races that his "tune" with the DP's didn't show any more peak power than his own personal car without DP's.
I figured you had a manual as it's consistent with showing about 10 hp and 5-7 lbs ft of torque more than autos on a dynojet.
Which shop dynojet you using?
MD Automotive in Westminster. It's a pretty respectable place.
It seems like every time I go there, there's always a magazine doing some sort of write up on a new car.

One time I went there, there was a twin turbo skyline (imported of course) that dyno'd around 900 whp.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #21
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnj View Post
What is interesting is that even this exhaust map does not make the DP investment to look good. Thank you Mr. 5. You provide excellent info.
The good thing about the downpipes is the quicker spool.
Though you might not see it on a dyno chart, the track times state otherwise. My times did get better after the downpipes.
Now I wonder how my times will be with the custom Exede.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #22
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

Quote:
The good thing about the downpipes is the quicker spool.
Though you might not see it on a dyno chart, the track times state otherwise. My times did get better after the downpipes.
Now I wonder how my times will be with the custom Exede.
Which dps do you have? also, how much better were your times? #s?
Appreciate 0