E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 3 months to get the Security Update!!!

05-16-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92

Angry 3 months to get the Security Update!!!

It took me 3 months to get the security upgrade for my 2007 E92 M Sport! I had to hound customer service and the dealer. The dealer kept flip flopping between "it should have been done" to "it would have been done." I spoke with CS and they said that this comes out of the dealers pocket so they try and keep it quiet. Very honest and helpful person from CS at this point of contact who told me plainly that the dealer would dodge me like a bullet.

The guy at the dealership was unbelievable rude. He acted like he was doing me a favor by offering "good will" and the security issue was an "enhancement" rather than a problem. It really got under my skin because I think well if you were really offering "good will" then you would have paid the insurance excess on my friends 1M that was stolen. I said to him: "I am sure my friend who had his 1M stolen would not see it as goodwill and would see it as a necessary issue that you need to address." At this point he became more impossible and threw his toys out of the pram slagging off other brands and that it was not a BMW problem only... he made a right scene and I felt embarrassed by his raised voice so I walked off. His colleague later comes out and saves the day by stating that they would be willing to help but made no apology whatsoever.

Anyhow... after 3 months of complaining to CS, the dealer finally agreed to give me this "enhancement" out of "good will." It took 8 e-mails, 4 phone calls and 2 letters to get this - not to mention 3 months!

My car may be AUC but hey... I paid 14k for it and I'm not prepared for it to go missing on me because it is not worth as much as a new one to them.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 02:58 AM   #2
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Drives: 318i M Sport E91

I also have a E92 07 plate and was told i didn't need the update by BMW UK when i asked them about my old 60 plate E91 which did need the update.

What month was your car built? you can find the date under the bonnet. (look up after you've opened the bonnet)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:05 AM   #3
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

According to customer service, March, but they said it could possibly be out by about 4 days and needed the dealer to confirm if it had crossed this fine line. The dealer gave me some BS about how the update only applied to X5 and X6 but how they were doing it due to pressure from CS. All done now though, peace of mind at last.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
xs2man
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Where can I get more infor on this security update? Not that I'm really bothered much to be honest, if someone steals my car, I can go get a new one, lol.

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #5
foxy-stoat
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 320 E91

Meh, I spoke to BMW UK at 10:30am on 9th October 2012 and still waiting for my update....I dont expect to get a call now.

Only asked the dealers as my insurance company wrote to me and made me aware of the issue, so if I did nothing they probably wouldn't pay out. I have changed insurers so not too bothered about it now.

I have changed the location of the plug and thinking about wiring in a dumby that I ripped out of my Z4 that I was breaking and rigging it up to the battery, just incase they want steal a 4,000 car which I doubt !

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
$pringy
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91

What a bunch of To$$ers
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW 330d M Sport

Garage List
My update was done in Feb on my car. My dealer advised me it needed to be done so was booked in and carried out.....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #8
Raj59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 M3 LCI

I contacted BMW UK as soon as the issues started (Watchdog) and registered my details with them.

Then, at the beginning of this year when the update was released, I just contacted my local dealer, booked it in and job done. I never waited for any kind of communication or letter from BMW UK.
      05-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Name and shame those cunts!

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
biggles21
Rep

Drives: 320D E90 lci

update

Mine took more than six months chasing until i told them i never had problems with Audi or Volvo. Had a call from the dealer within 2 hours!.
09 320 d got a level 5? upgrade while the wifes 08 118d had a manual disablement of the odb socket ? because the could not update it!.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
The common thread here is London dealers in general.
Same complaints about other marques on other forums I frequent too.

The closer to London you get - the less anyone gives a shit.
But that's just the way it is with all things 'London'.

BMW are lazy twats - it's no different to the cracking wheels and HPFP saga that rumbles on and on.

Interesting that NOBODY has bothered to fix the problem in the thousands of leased cars out there.
"Hey not our insurance, so who cares?"
      05-17-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
wafik
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3 Convertible

"enhancement" out of "good will." sounds so so familiar...Would this be sytner harold wood by any chance???

The manager there is has used that line on me twice now!! Once when the dealership broke my spitter and accepted they done it (manager still didn't believe they did) but paid out as a 'good will' gesture.

Just last week they had my car in for a DCT software update because the car is jerking and it classified it as an "enhancement" upgrade but said he will do it as a "good will' gesture. - had the car for a full week for an update and still drive the same and not fixed!
      05-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
zltm089
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafik View Post
"enhancement" out of "good will." sounds so so familiar...Would this be sytner harold wood by any chance???

The manager there is has used that line on me twice now!! Once when the dealership broke my spitter and accepted they done it (manager still didn't believe they did) but paid out as a 'good will' gesture.

Just last week they had my car in for a DCT software update because the car is jerking and it classified it as an "enhancement" upgrade but said he will do it as a "good will' gesture. - had the car for a full week for an update and still drive the same and not fixed!
If you're in Essex try Prestige mate. They provide an excellent service.

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3

Sorry to hear man.
I asked about it when I did my oil service and he just put it down and did it.
Zero fuss.

Hopefully it has been done, not really checked cause some say that it still has issues like the ability to open the window down with the key?
      05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

Cooper Reading... and I don't think it has been done properly. When I turn the key clockwise the windows drop. Also able to drop the windows with the remote but I read somewhere that not all dealers are confident reprogramming CAS. They would rather just press "update" and let the computer do it for them. I have also read that some have taken 30 minutes while full updates can take several hours.

I've lost a lot of sleep over it even if I do have GAP insurance. I am now thinking of moving the OBDII port. Perhaps even putting a fake port in place. I read somewhere that it is possible to "fry" any diagnostic tool that connects to the port by rewiring the port and adding a resistor but could not find enough information so do not think that is an option for now.

I'm also in talks with a locksmith in Ireland to see if he can make a ASSA lock cylinder as a one off. Not sure on costs though.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #16
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

Guys
I code many cars.
For security update, cas module should be updated and for windows to avoid dropping light module should be updated.

What I have noticed that all those cars which came from far distance (2-3 hours drive from London) had both modules updated.
Those who live in London / around London, it is a common practise that those dealers are just updating cas module.
I guess what m1bjr said is absolutely correct.
      05-21-2013, 02:18 AM   #17
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Guys
I code many cars.
For security update, cas module should be updated and for windows to avoid dropping light module should be updated.

What I have noticed that all those cars which came from far distance (2-3 hours drive from London) had both modules updated.
Those who live in London / around London, it is a common practise that those dealers are just updating cas module.
I guess what m1bjr said is absolutely correct.
Where abouts in London? Please PM with details, price, availability and so on.
Appreciate 0