E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > DIY Brake Job question

05-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
KwlAznKid
Colonel

Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE
Location: Irvine/Fremont, CA/ University of California San Diego Alum

DIY Brake Job question

I've replaced rotors and pads on my e46 m3 and various other cars before but last time I did my m3 I noticed my brake pedal being very stiff, I told my friend and he told me that it's because I shouldn't have stepped on my brakes while replacing the rotors (I forgot why I did that) and he said I messed up the pressure of the brake lines because I did that and would need to bleed the brakes to fix it..

so now my question is what exactly did I do wrong? I just got new rotors and pads for my e92 and am going to do the job soon (if I can't find a cheap shop to do it) my basic process is..

1.remove wheels
2.remove calipers
3.remove rotors
4.replace rotors
5.replace pads + anti squel
6. replace pad sensors
7. replace calipers on rotors
8. put wheel back

do I need to mess with the brake pressure or bleed the brakes or whatever? I don't even know what that means to be honest.. lol

thanks!
      05-16-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Delusive
Major

Drives: E92

You forgot one of the most important parts of replacing the pads is you have to reset the piston in the caliper so that the new pad can fit properly also bleeding the brakes makes sure to take all the air out in the brake lines.

When your done make sure you pump the brakes a few times after you start the car so that the brake pads can settle in properly.
      05-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
KwlAznKid
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
You forgot one of the most important parts of replacing the pads is you have to reset the piston in the caliper so that the new pad can fit properly also bleeding the brakes makes sure to take all the air out in the brake lines.

When your done make sure you pump the brakes a few times after you start the car so that the brake pads can settle in properly.
ah yes the piston, just pretty much pushing it back right? i do do that, just forgot to list it haha, so you're saying that bleeding the brakes is required? do you think i could just do all the labor and take it to a shop to bleed the brakes? is it hard to do?
thanks!
      05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Delusive
Major

Drives: E92

As long as you didn't let the caliper hang by its line then bleeding the brakes isn't necessary.

Only time you bleed brakes is when you do a brake fluid flush, remove the calipers from it's line, feel mushy brakes, or feel a delay in the brakes biting after pushing it.

I forget what the machine or pump is called but it's what you need, if you have that then it's easy peezy.
      05-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
KwlAznKid
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
As long as you didn't let the caliper hang by its line then bleeding the brakes isn't necessary.

Only time you bleed brakes is when you do a brake fluid flush, remove the calipers from it's line, feel mushy brakes, or feel a delay in the brakes biting after pushing it.

I forget what the machine or pump is called but it's what you need, if you have that then it's easy peezy.
ah i see, so just make sure to either zip tie the caliper or set it up on something so it's not hanging and i'm good to go? thanks for all the help btw, really appreciate it!
      05-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
seriye55

Drives: e55 (335i previous)

nice
      05-20-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
nv_e92
Modding & Detailing Rookie

Drives: 2008 Space Gray Metallic E92

Garage List
I think JS_NA is talking about the Motive power bleeder to bleed your brakes. I got one and it's works great and I can do everything myself. I'd bleed the brakes if it hasn't been done in a while to get any moisture/air out of the lines. I say get the bleeder since you're already down there and have everything off.

You can take it to a shop after you put everything else on, just make sure you don't get any air in the lines.