E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > suspension problems, side steering? help



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Question suspension problems, side steering? help

so lately i have been feeling a slightly different feeling in the rear of my car is almost like when i gun it the back side steers?

so i picked up the rear yesterday and noticed the rear passenger wheel has about half an inch of side to side play, i am assuming it could be bearings, control arms, bushings etc. But i wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem so i could tackle it directly before buying all kinds of parts i don't need, i have almost discarded the bearings because it doesn't make any kind of noise and it doesn't seem like its the hub itself moving rather it is the whole assembly.
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
gtaccord
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 949
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Sounds like one of the upper links or toe arms are loose or there is a bolt missing. Is the free motion vertical or horizontal? (Top and bottom moves in and out or left and right side of tire moves in and out)
gtaccord is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Sounds like one of the upper links or toe arms are loose or there is a bolt missing. Is the free motion vertical or horizontal? (Top and bottom moves in and out or left and right side of tire moves in and out)
theres just side to side play, left to right not really any up and down. no bolts seem to be missing
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
gtaccord
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

Posts: 949
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
Did you by chance happen to have an alignment recently?

The other possibility is that some of the rubber bushings in the various suspension links are worn completely out and need to be replaced.
gtaccord is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Did you by chance happen to have an alignment recently?

The other possibility is that some of the rubber bushings in the various suspension links are worn completely out and need to be replaced.
yea i did in fact have one like 3 months ago and another about a month ago
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
Did you by chance happen to have an alignment recently?

The other possibility is that some of the rubber bushings in the various suspension links are worn completely out and need to be replaced.
could it be the toe arms since they did push it to the limit when aligning and they arent adjustable ?
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
farbmw
Brigadier General
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335IS waiting for M4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 3,643
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
could it be the toe arms since they did push it to the limit when aligning and they arent adjustable ?
Yes, that could be part of it, but I am surprised that the alignment shop did not tell you anything?
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is!
farbmw is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Yes, that could be part of it, but I am surprised that the alignment shop did not tell you anything?
they just said i didnt have the proper parts to further adjust the toe didnt really say anything about it being worn down, they probably played with it some and wore it down to crap
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
farbmw
Brigadier General
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335IS waiting for M4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 3,643
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
they just said i didnt have the proper parts to further adjust the toe didnt really say anything about it being worn down, they probably played with it some and wore it down to crap
Wow, then that is your answer right there, if you had the adjustable part in the rear then they could have dialed it in more(more options for dialing toe).

Get the rear end parts you need and go to a different shop that actually knows what they are doing and cares.
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is!
farbmw is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Chris_506
RIP Paul Walker; True Enthusiast
 
Chris_506's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SCar

Posts: 2,462
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by farbmw View Post
Wow, then that is your answer right there, if you had the adjustable part in the rear then they could have dialed it in more(more options for dialing toe).

Get the rear end parts you need and go to a different shop that actually knows what they are doing and cares.
yea i guess ill get the toe arms and the end links while im at it, and slap them all on. thanks man!
__________________
Chris_506 is offline   Costa Rica
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
farbmw
Brigadier General
 
farbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335IS waiting for M4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 3,643
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSRe92 View Post
yea i guess ill get the toe arms and the end links while im at it, and slap them all on. thanks man!
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is!
farbmw is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:37 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST