E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > white smoke after exhaust & DP install

05-17-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
m603
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: avoiding pot holes

white smoke after exhaust & DP install

i just installed a used set of Vanguard exhaust and MS catless downpipes. right after the install, started it and no smoke all good. now after driving it for awhile ive notice smoke, alot of smoke at times while driving on the freeway. it is not constant smoke, every here and there. it occurs when im stuck in traffic, the car stops/slows down give it a lil gas and POOF, smoke behold. ive tried looking at the color of the smoke but its kinda hard to differentiate blue and while ( yeah i know its a big difference in color but its hard to tell from exhaust smoke )

btw, before this i was running stock exhaust and DP and no smoke.

thanks for the help fellas
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Datsik
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

I think this is like a break in period for the exhaust. It should also smell weird. As long as it isn't blue you should be fine though, blue would mean there is a problem with your turbos. If I'm right it should stop in like 5-7 days.
      05-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep

Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsik 335 View Post
I think this is like a break in period for the exhaust. It should also smell weird. As long as it isn't blue you should be fine though, blue would mean there is a problem with your turbos. If I'm right it should stop in like 5-7 days.
Blue is the engine is burning oil. White is burning coolant. Both are (could be) a problem, however keep in mind the "new" exhaust (since it's used) could simply have trapped moisture in it that is now being evaporated.

Last edited by MrPig; 05-17-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
dcho
Captain
Rep

Drives: SGM 135i

yah give it a week or so. my new exhaust let out an auntie anne's pretzel smell for a while at the beginning. hehe.
      05-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #5
135Pats
Turbo's Here
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135i

Well you just removed the primary cats on the car, so some smoke is to be expected. It could be condensation or packing/manufacturing substance burning off of the exhaust, but IMO it's more likely that your car is blowing by a small amount of oil that is then being burnt up. Happens to alot of people when they go catless, you just didn't notice it with the primary cats in place. It's far more likely that you're burning some oil (common on N54s) than burning coolant (not so common), if it's oil the smell will truly smell like combusting motor oil and gasoline. Coolant has a distinct sweet smell to it, burning oil just smells like combustion with a bit of melting plastic to my nose at least. Nothing to freak out about most likely.
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586r Tial .82AR/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
Appreciate 0