E90Post
 


Alpine HID
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valet parking lost my only key



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
innovaciones
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mexico

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Unhappy Valet parking lost my only key

Hello, this is a very sad moment for me, yesterday the valet parking from a bar lost the only key I have, my car is a BMW e93 335i, I want to know if there is a "easy" way to create another key for my car, I know I have to go to a BMW dealer and ask for a new key from the factory, but that process takes like 20 days or something like that here in Mexico, so bottom line I can't move my car in all that time, the only good news is that the car is well parked in a safe parking lot.

I hope you can give me some light here so I can at least be 100% sure there is no other way around.

Thank you!
innovaciones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
GarySL
First Lieutenant
 
GarySL's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi E90
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Humboldt Co., CA

Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear, but bottom line, the far easiest way is to have the valet cough up the key. How does a valet lose a key? Way to lose a job I guess. g/l
__________________
'08 335xi (E90), 6MT, Arctic/Black, ZPP, ZSP (18"s), ZCW, CA, PDC, i-Pod
Ordered-March 7, 2008, Shipped via Graceful Leader-March 21, 2008,
Arrived Port Hueneme-April 11, 2008, Delivered-April 21, 2008
GarySL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
iBoost
Brigadier General
 
iBoost's Avatar
 
Drives: into the unknown.
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 3,034
iTrader: (12)

WTF!? I would be furious. I guess just talk to the guy in charge, they should cover a rental car for you as well as the cost of the key, and all expenses related to it. Good luck man!
iBoost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Richurd
Captain
 
Richurd's Avatar
 
Drives: Too slow.
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: nyc

Posts: 638
iTrader: (6)

I think the valet kept the key and may try to steal the car. Just saying cause you said Mexico
__________________
07 e92 335i | BSM | SB | Gray Poplar Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium | Sport | Cold Weather | iDrive | Logic7 | Comfort Access |
Richurd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
innovaciones
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mexico

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
I think the valet kept the key and may try to steal the car. Just saying cause you said Mexico
I have remotely blocked the engine of the car (I have a GSM GPS tracker device that can also shutdown the engine), even if they "find" the key and try to start the engine it won't work, so I'm not worry about that.
innovaciones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Mpy18
Lieutenant
 
Mpy18's Avatar
 
Drives: '06 325 XI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

Posts: 576
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
I have remotely blocked the engine of the car (I have a GSM GPS tracker device that can also shutdown the engine), even if they "find" the key and try to start the engine it won't work, so I'm not worry about that.
Well that's very cool, but I would still talk to whoever is in charge, have them pay for you to have a new key made or any towing if needed, and cover all charges you have today for a rental or anything.

But I'd still be fuming
Mpy18 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
innovaciones
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mexico

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
WTF!? I would be furious. I guess just talk to the guy in charge, they should cover a rental car for you as well as the cost of the key, and all expenses related to it. Good luck man!
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
innovaciones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
yarviinn
Captain
 
yarviinn's Avatar
 
Drives: E9TT3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA

Posts: 667
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to yarviinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
Or don't live in Mexico.
yarviinn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
dr335is
Brigadier General
 
Drives: GTI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,973
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
dumb comment...
dr335is is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
ceaton88
First Lieutenant
 
ceaton88's Avatar
 
Drives: 325i E92
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brighton, UK

Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
E92 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
No its still always keep a spare key.
ceaton88 is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
marinerd
Addicted
 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Where the roads are smooth

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

Even having another key for my car I'd make sure the bar went through leaps and bounds to accomadate me seeing as how they pretty much f*(%ed me.
__________________
marinerd is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta GA

Posts: 1,699
iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You'd have to get another key from the dealership.

Used keys on ebay are useless. Keys are married to the car one time and can not be married to another car.
smallseafishie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
ADRQ0811
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 528i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 562/so cal

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
dumb comment...
+ 1
ADRQ0811 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
luv135i
Captain
 
luv135i's Avatar
 
Drives: White
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GA

Posts: 833
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
Or don't live in Mexico.
Wtf
__________________
2010 135i AW
2011 328i AW
luv135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
 
Snaggletooth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

Posts: 277
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
Dude, dont be an ass. OP. Rack up a huge bar tab every night you're without your car and have them comp it.
__________________
'07 E92 335i 6MT
Full Bolt On's, Vargas Stage 2's, Carbon Fiber, and Methanol.
Snaggletooth is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
MGT81
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Calgary

Posts: 369
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, the whole "lost your key" thing sounds shady to me...
MGT81 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
weaponrx
New Member
 
weaponrx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E63 M6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chino Hills

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
or don't valet your car. way too many horror stories to make me feel comfortable eating dinner.
weaponrx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edison, NJ

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

While your at it, you should order TWO or more keys. You will need to have the car towed to the dealership and they will order the remaining keys from BMW which works with your CAS (Each module is suppose to have 10 keys associated to it, of which 4 can be active at any time).

Dealership process will be to remove all existing programmed keys from the car and then program the car to accept the keys which are currently with the dealership (Hopefully you get at least 2 this time with BLADES). This will prevent your originally lost 2 keys from working on your car going forward.

Your BMW Assist/GPS/remote tracking is just a feel good security, anyone wants your car they can just tow it away and create a Faraday Cage around it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Once your car is stolen/striped/all modules re-flashed... any protection you thought you had is out the door

If your connected to the right people, maybe these guys can help you get into your car:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855953

I would also strongly urge you to up your insurance coverage for theft right now. Someone/somewhere has an active key to your car... doesn't that worry you in the least bit (even with all the security features u have)?
- Faz
fazman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
innovaciones
New Member
 
Drives: BMW 335i Cabrio
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mexico

Posts: 11
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
While your at it, you should order TWO or more keys. You will need to have the car towed to the dealership and they will order the remaining keys from BMW which works with your CAS (Each module is suppose to have 10 keys associated to it, of which 4 can be active at any time).

Dealership process will be to remove all existing programmed keys from the car and then program the car to accept the keys which are currently with the dealership (Hopefully you get at least 2 this time with BLADES). This will prevent your originally lost 2 keys from working on your car going forward.

Your BMW Assist/GPS/remote tracking is just a feel good security, anyone wants your car they can just tow it away and create a Faraday Cage around it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Once your car is stolen/striped/all modules re-flashed... any protection you thought you had is out the door

If your connected to the right people, maybe these guys can help you get into your car:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855953

I would also strongly urge you to up your insurance coverage for theft right now. Someone/somewhere has an active key to your car... doesn't that worry you in the least bit (even with all the security features u have)?
- Faz
That is a very helpful information, thanks man!!

The car is parked in a very safe place in a second floor with security cameras around the building, it is a covered parking, also the whole place is very small, the road is very narrow to get to the second floor and the height of the roof is very small so there is absolutely no way a tow could make it, and with the car engine disabled I have nothing to worry about it.

I will go to the dealership tomorrow monday and I will order 2 keys so this will never happen again, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

I was told before about disabling the lost keys but I guess the only way is to bring the car to the dealership to do it, right?

Quote:
If your connected to the right people, maybe these guys can help you get into your car:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855953
That is some scary stuff, but here in Mexico if they want to steal your car they will do it the "easy way" with a gun, that's way I have the GSM GPS module installed, that way I could immediately disable the car from any mobile phone, once the car is shutdown the thief will not bother and will leave the car, and with more reason if they are driving on a busy street.
innovaciones is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335 e90
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Edison, NJ

Posts: 1,662
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
That is a very helpful information, thanks man!!

The car is parked in a very safe place in a second floor with security cameras around the building, it is a covered parking, also the whole place is very small, the road is very narrow to get to the second floor and the height of the roof is very small so there is absolutely no way a tow could make it, and with the car engine disabled I have nothing to worry about it.

I will go to the dealership tomorrow monday and I will order 2 keys so this will never happen again, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

I was told before about disabling the lost keys but I guess the only way is to bring the car to the dealership to do it, right?



That is some scary stuff, but here in Mexico if they want to steal your car they will do it the "easy way" with a gun, that's way I have the GSM GPS module installed, that way I could immediately disable the car from any mobile phone, once the car is shutdown the thief will not bother and will leave the car, and with more reason if they are driving on a busy street.
no problem... wishing you the best of luck to getting your car back up and running Yea those guys in that video are crazy!
fazman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
RYΛN
First Lieutenant
 
RYΛN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 AW e92
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 344
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
Umm I live in LA and shady valet people exist here too unfortunately.
I've heard so many valet horror stories I avoid them like the plague.

Even if the valet was in Beverly Hills I'd still self park.
__________________
RYΛN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Digitalize
Photographer
 
Digitalize's Avatar
 
Drives: E91 320D M Sport TiAg
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Weymouth/Bath

Posts: 785
iTrader: (0)

I'd be getting the lock barrel changed too.
Digitalize is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST