E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Violent shake WOT 4-6th gears

05-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Unhappy Violent shake WOT 4-6th gears

I have always had some sort of hum from the rear of my car when running a tune and WOT in higher gears. (I have a Wavetrac LSD). I recently got my flex-fuel flash and all supporting mods done. (FBO). Now, 1-2 gear are scary fast, but 3-6 will violently vibrate under WOT after climbing about 2k or so. The timing of the onset of this vibration is very much a function of load, but as soon as I let off it stops. I don't have any codes except a shadow active front steering code and an intermittent IBS code (also shadow- no half engines)

The vibration FEELS like it is coming from the drivetrain, but I know it could be misfire/timing/fuel issues that I am feeling, but I never really know how to read the datalogs I capture.

I did some quick rolls in 4th gear @ 3200rpm- with sudden acceleration. Like CLOCKWORK, a few seconds in and the car feels like it is going to blow up. I am suspecting my LSD is f**ked and is failing under maximum torque, or something like that. Hopefully it is something else that I can fix with some optimization in procede.

Here are some screen captures. Can anyone help?

Name:  weirdshake1.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  285.2 KB

Name:  weirdshake2.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  285.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
HellsBells
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I had what sounds like the same issue, turned out to be carbon buildup.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellsBells View Post
I had what sounds like the same issue, turned out to be carbon buildup.
No, had walnut blasting done 10k ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I don't think you have a tuning issue. Sounds like something is shifting under load and is out of balance causing the vibration. You need to get this into the shop and have the drivetrain pulled down to make sure everything is ok before it comes apart completely and breaks something else.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
ashmostro
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4cs | 2022 M550i

^agree
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

When was the last time you checked the torque spec on your lug bolts on all 4 wheels? Seriously. I've seen it on cars before. I dont think you have a tuning issue but a mechanical within the drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
When was the last time you checked the torque spec on your lug bolts on all 4 wheels? Seriously. I've seen it on cars before. I dont think you have a tuning issue but a mechanical within the drivetrain.
So fuel trims, timing look okay? I don't think its the lug nuts because it was doing this earlier in the day, went and got new rear tires...still acting exactly the same. Plus it only does it under a certain amount of load
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserN54 View Post
I have always had some sort of hum from the rear of my car when running a tune and WOT in higher gears. (I have a Wavetrac LSD). I recently got my flex-fuel flash and all supporting mods done. (FBO). Now, 1-2 gear are scary fast, but 3-6 will violently vibrate under WOT after climbing about 2k or so. The timing of the onset of this vibration is very much a function of load, but as soon as I let off it stops. I don't have any codes except a shadow active front steering code and an intermittent IBS code (also shadow- no half engines)

The vibration FEELS like it is coming from the drivetrain, but I know it could be misfire/timing/fuel issues that I am feeling, but I never really know how to read the datalogs I capture.

I did some quick rolls in 4th gear @ 3200rpm- with sudden acceleration. Like CLOCKWORK, a few seconds in and the car feels like it is going to blow up. I am suspecting my LSD is f**ked and is failing under maximum torque, or something like that. Hopefully it is something else that I can fix with some optimization in procede.

Here are some screen captures. Can anyone help?

Attachment 863697

Attachment 863698

I have the same problem! Just installed my LSD like 3-weeks ago it started happening after about a week. It only happens when I shift into gear from 3rd-4th and up. I was at a local shop today everything in my rear seems to be nicely locked down and tight. Are you a 6spd? I also had VAC do my install and watched him do it, so i doubt its my diff. My shop told me It might be my tranny mounts. I also have the lock down kit as well and he said it could be the transmission moving around because it needs a place to send the shift.

On seconds thoughts I think I miss read your post you are having a vibration during acceleration? Not just during the shift? I wonder if it could still be you tranny mounts? On rouge engineering they have tranny mounts and said under load with weak mounts the transmission can wiggle back and forth.

Last edited by 3-Serious; 05-18-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

I've got the same issue with just JB4. I've done some research on n54tech.com and the general consensus is that it is the DM Flywheel. If you switch to a regular flywheel it goes away.
      05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So fuel trims, timing look okay? I don't think its the lug nuts because it was doing this earlier in the day, went and got new rear tires...still acting exactly the same. Plus it only does it under a certain amount of load
Unless fuel trims exceed 30% they are not an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Yes it could be the DMFW if it's getting old. How many miles on the flywheel? Your datalogs shows the rpm line is just a little wavy, can you post the csv or maybe just look at the csv yourself and see if the rpm jumps or rises steadily? If the DMFW is getting worn and loose it might show up in the rpm log.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

I just had a few more ideas for you to consider.
I once saw a car that threw a code for steering sensor, and it was because the alignment of the rear wheels was bad. It threw the code because the rear end was tracking slightly sideways. Have you checked alignment lately? You just had the rear tires replaced, was the tread wearing unevenly on the old tires?

The driveshaft carrier bearing can cause vibration if it's installed upside-down. It's fairly common since it needs to be removed when installing a rear diff or when installing a clutch.
HTH
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
I just had a few more ideas for you to consider.
I once saw a car that threw a code for steering sensor, and it was because the alignment of the rear wheels was bad. It threw the code because the rear end was tracking slightly sideways. Have you checked alignment lately? You just had the rear tires replaced, was the tread wearing unevenly on the old tires?

The driveshaft carrier bearing can cause vibration if it's installed upside-down. It's fairly common since it needs to be removed when installing a rear diff or when installing a clutch.
HTH

I had an alignment done with the new tires. The rear diff was installed almost a year ago. I have a newish ACT clutch, but they resurfaced and reused my DWFW...I wonder if that's it? It only seems to happen under peak load, and I have honestly always some sort of hum/ vibration from the back, at least when running a tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had an alignment done with the new tires. The rear diff was installed almost a year ago. I have a newish ACT clutch, but they resurfaced and reused my DWFW...I wonder if that's it? It only seems to happen under peak load, and I have honestly always some sort of hum/ vibration from the back, at least when running a tune.
BINGO

Resurfaced DMFW goes wrong about 90% of the time that's why we always recommend a NEW DMFW.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 05-20-2013 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 10:45 AM   #15
Cripple
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12' 335is

Quote:
BINGO

Resurfaced DMFW goes wrong about 90% of the time that's we always recommend a NEW DMFW.
What he said - Porsche uses a DMFW on Manual applications in 911's and recommend only new DMFW's for this specific reasoning.

I would get this replaced ASAP!

Current: 2015 Cayman S on HRE P101
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripple View Post
What he said - Porsche uses a DMFW on Manual applications in 911's and recommend only new DMFW's for this specific reasoning.

I would get this replaced ASAP!
Not to be the bearer of bad news but it's possibly he may need a new clutch too. I've seen this happen a few times already when a customer gets the DMFW resurfaced it ends up messing up the clutch. I'm not 100% positive in this particular instance until the clutch is pulled out and a professional can examine it.

I'd also get rid of the ACT clutch and go for the Spec. The ACT clutches have a short life span and horrible drivability in comparison to the Spec Clutch Kits on this platform.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Dark9T
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Red 335i E92 AT

Same to me after LSD installed, I got a AT..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not to be the bearer of bad news but it's possibly he may need a new clutch too. I've seen this happen a few times already when a customer gets the DMFW resurfaced it ends up messing up the clutch. I'm not 100% positive in this particular instance until the clutch is pulled out and a professional can examine it.

I'd also get rid of the ACT clutch and go for the Spec. The ACT clutches have a short life span and horrible drivability in comparison to the Spec Clutch Kits on this platform.
I kind of figured that. I would need to get a new clutch anyways if this is what is wrong b/c I would go with a SMF. The car is going to the LSD installer tonight to get looked at.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Cars at the shop now, and it is confirmed to be internal from the diff. Thank goodness for warranties...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Cars at the shop now, and it is confirmed to be internal from the diff. Thank goodness for warranties...
Okay, NOW they are saying the diff is fine, and that they suspect something with the driveshaft. Anyone had any experience with driveshaft failure on these cars before? All searches seem to only reveal old threads- nothing on point.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #21
KaiserN54
First Lieutenant
Rep

WTF!! Now the garage is saying that the vibration they detected differs from the vibration I reported- which is "much worse than what we previously diagnosed." The garage maintains the the cv joint on my draftshaft is binding, but they aren't confident that this will fix the violent vibration! The mechanic said the car is definately f*** up, but he doesn't know what else it could be. He seems sceptical that it is the DMFW, because the rumble is intermittent.

I would really appreciate any other opinions others might have on this...

WTF is wrong with my car?!?! Please someone help!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
///Mposter
Macgyver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I would say to put it on a lift and get the RPM up to see what was vibrating but that may cause other issues if only two tires ( rear) are moving . Maybe use a GO-PRO under to see if something looks off. Someone once told me that they had a neon with an issue . They kept replacing tires at the dealer, redoing balancing and could not find it. He asked them to put it on a lift and had the car in drive. The midshaft attached to the engine was bent from the factory. Once replaced , all vibration was gone. You have to visually see it to know what out of round, or it will be a costly trial and error process of elimination .