E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > H&R touring cup kit vs Koni STR.T w/ H&R sport



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

H&R touring cup kit vs Koni STR.T w/ H&R sport

I'm about to do a suspension refresh and the two options that fit my budget for struts/shocks and springs are the H&R touring cup kit and the koni orange w/ H&R sport springs combo. The konis are on sale for $329 shipped until this evening plus come with a lifetime warranty, although I've read mixed reviews about their longevity. Which would you choose? The car will never be tracked, just daily driven and possibly a little auto cross. I had koni yellows and eibachs on my last e90 and loved them but it's out of my price range.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #2
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Bought the Konis because of the lifetime warranty. I'll write a review when I get them installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #3
weehe126
Captain
59
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (1)

I got the oranges and they are average. Pretty much a stock replacement. Wish I had spent the money to upgrade to yellows.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 11:07 PM   #4
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
I got the oranges and they are average. Pretty much a stock replacement. Wish I had spent the money to upgrade to yellows.
What do you not like about them? I've read every review I could find and its been a bit mixed. Figured I'd give it a shot, considering I don't need the adjustability or track readiness of the yellows. I like how the stock suspension feels and mines in good shape but I wanted something that had a little more aggressive valving for lowering springs. Hopefully these will do it.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #5
weehe126
Captain
59
Rep
919
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Antonio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
What do you not like about them? I've read every review I could find and its been a bit mixed. Figured I'd give it a shot, considering I don't need the adjustability or track readiness of the yellows. I like how the stock suspension feels and mines in good shape but I wanted something that had a little more aggressive valving for lowering springs. Hopefully these will do it.
These are not meant for lower than sport springs. I replaced my blown stock shocks and the feeling I get is, "well the new ones are better than blown stock one". Idk if it is worth replacing non blown stock shocks as it is not an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 12:34 AM   #6
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
These are not meant for lower than sport springs. I replaced my blown stock shocks and the feeling I get is, "well the new ones are better than blown stock one". Idk if it is worth replacing non blown stock shocks as it is not an upgrade.
This is what makes me curious. According to Koni they're valved to be capable of running with lowering springs, and have a lifetime warranty regardless of what springs are used with them. My stocks feel good but I know H&R sports with stock is a horrid combination. I'm hoping the Konis will do a little better. Maybe I'm wrong.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2016, 11:41 PM   #7
the6M3
Resurrected
Canada
95
Rep
487
Posts

Drives: '12 ZCP M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
This is what makes me curious. According to Koni they're valved to be capable of running with lowering springs, and have a lifetime warranty regardless of what springs are used with them. My stocks feel good but I know H&R sports with stock is a horrid combination. I'm hoping the Konis will do a little better. Maybe I'm wrong.
Any update, did you get them installed?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
freedomfries
Private
Canada
10
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 328i  [5.00]
A bit late but I wouldn't recommend Koni Str.t. They were very popular with VWs but many found that they had terrible paint and rusted within a year. They also didn't last beyond 20k mi and performed worse than stock after. Even with a lifetime warranty, it's a pain to deal with. Save up for Bilstein B6 or B8s IMO.

Here's a set after 20k mi and 1.5 years in MI:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lvCnLXHl.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #9
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
Any update, did you get them installed?
I did get them installed! Sadly, it got done the day I left for UK so my dad picked the car up. Looks great (lower than expected) and he said it drives well.
I'll write up a review when I drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
A bit late but I wouldn't recommend Koni Str.t. They were very popular with VWs but many found that they had terrible paint and rusted within a year. They also didn't last beyond 20k mi and performed worse than stock after. Even with a lifetime warranty, it's a pain to deal with. Save up for Bilstein B6 or B8s IMO.

Here's a set after 20k mi and 1.5 years in MI:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lvCnLXHl.jpg[/IMG]
All konis are well known for rusting but since I don't live in the north I'm not concerned about it. As for the longevity, we shall see, but for the price I had to pull the trigger. Per koni through a question I asked, they're identical to the yellows/sports internally minus the adjustment. Ouch, those sure do look bad! Are they from an e90? Have any personal experience with them?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #10
freedomfries
Private
Canada
10
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 328i
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125
Quote:
Originally Posted by the6M3 View Post
Any update, did you get them installed?
I did get them installed! Sadly, it got done the day I left for UK so my dad picked the car up. Looks great (lower than expected) and he said it drives well.
I'll write up a review when I drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
A bit late but I wouldn't recommend Koni Str.t. They were very popular with VWs but many found that they had terrible paint and rusted within a year. They also didn't last beyond 20k mi and performed worse than stock after. Even with a lifetime warranty, it's a pain to deal with. Save up for Bilstein B6 or B8s IMO.

Here's a set after 20k mi and 1.5 years in MI:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lvCnLXHl.jpg[/IMG]
All konis are well known for rusting but since I don't live in the north I'm not concerned about it. As for the longevity, we shall see, but for the price I had to pull the trigger. Per koni through a question I asked, they're identical to the yellows/sports internally minus the adjustment. Ouch, those sure do look bad! Are they from an e90? Have any personal experience with them?
I used them on my VW with Eibach Prokit springs and they developed a lot of surface rust after two years. This is in the PNW where it didn't even snow and there was no salt on the roads. Didn't keep the car long enough to see how long they lasted.

If you do keep them, I highly recommend refinishing them or at least coating them with POR15 or similar.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
whyzee125
First Lieutenant
29
Rep
363
Posts

Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chattanooga Tn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I used them on my VW with Eibach Prokit springs and they developed a lot of surface rust after two years. This is in the PNW where it didn't even snow and there was no salt on the roads. Didn't keep the car long enough to see how long they lasted.

If you do keep them, I highly recommend refinishing them or at least coating them with POR15 or similar.
Thanks a ton for the heads up. Better to know now! I'll coat them when I'm back, for sure.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST