E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > overheating issue

05-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Red Rocket

Drives: 2007 BMW 335I

overheating issue

So this happened to me (2007 e92 FBO):
I had driven about 45 miles into a roadtrip when the yellow "thermometer" indicator came on immediately followed by red "thermometer". car lost power even though oil temp was normal at 230. i towed car home and after it cooled down found that coolant tank was about 1 quart low. there were a few drops of coolant on the valve cover and some fluid below the coolant tank down by the downpipe area. i did a pressure test from the coolant tank but found no sign of leakage. I filled the coolant tank and got the waterpump running (without starting the engine) and bled a little air out of the system. waterpump was observed to be running and i let it run for about 10 minutes. i drove car about 2 miles and when oil temp hit 185 degrees yellow thermometer warning light came on again. after engine cooled down i checked the coolant level and it was still full and there was no sign of leakage.
Since the waterpump has been observed to run, and there does not appear to be any leaky hoses or coolant tank, do you think this may be a bad thermostat or the waterpump working intermittently and on its way out? is it a possibility that when it first shut down on me the car had reached normal operating temp for 35+ miles and if the thermostat didn't open the pressure forced some coolant out through the cap? I have a mechanic that's going to scan for codes but i appreciate your thoughts.
      05-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
MickP82

Drives: 07 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm having the same problem now, yellow sign came up a couple times this week and trying to figure it out as well I have no coolant leaks I just replaced the water pump and thermostat last month so I'm assuming it can't be that. I'm having it checked out this week at bmw and I'll let you know what I find out

Last edited by MickP82; 05-25-2013 at 08:24 PM.
MickP82 is offline   United_States
      05-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
Gizm0
Major

Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

Check for leaks on the small hose (3/8" approx) going from the coolant bottle to the top of the radiator. You'll have to remove the air intake duct as it goes under it. I had a leak on mine at that location... The hose has a part made of hard plastic that becomes brittle over times and cracks.
Gizm0 is online now   United_States
      05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

I had the same. Overheated a couple times, shut car off, turn it on, waterpump verified to be working again and car drove fine. Last event was a couple months ago.

Here's what I know. If it was the waterpump shorting out or failing, it is intermittent on mine. It could have also been a secondary factor like low coolant, poor coolant mix, too much air in the system, that caused it to overheat.

Once mine overheats, it boils and the coolant comes out the tank because the cap has a pressure relief spring valve built into it. Once it pukes it up, the car has air in the system and if you just top it up with water, then the mix is off. I did a coolant flush and refilled the whole thing with 50/50 coolant and distilled water, have been fine since.

Wanted to add that the thermostat usually fails open, not closed. This is good because if it fails it will not overheat, it actually causes the car long to take longer to warm up in the morning. I know this because mine is bad, but I leave it until the day I need to replace the waterpump.

05-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Red Rocket

myfriend (BMW tech) put scanner to OBD and it showed that voltage reading from waterpump failed 260 times so he says its the waterpump. will replace next weekend and hopefully report that problem solved!
      06-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Red Rocket

ordered new oem waterpump from Turner Motorsports for $500 (includes bolts and shipping) and after 3 hours of labor job is complete. after 25 miles of driving it appears that problem is solved.
      06-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
medusacomp
Private

Drives: 328xi

Ouch!! Well the first thing to do is to clean or replace the reservoir cap.. If its clogged there is no coolant circulation.. Hence the pump is just pumping into a stopped flow and will fail.. If you remove the cap and see the car working fine, cap it and overheat.. Its not the pump!!