E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need Help..Turbo Seal? White smoke!/ Overheating

05-26-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
vertm3freak

Drives: E46 M3, 335i

Need Help..Turbo Seal? White smoke!/ Overheating

Hi everyone, I'm new to e90post forum as i just sold my E46 M3 and bought a 2007 335i.
I just noticed a couple days ago some smoke coming out of the exhaust that smells a little like oil burning. After doing a little research i believe my turbo seals are going bad. I was wondering how much do they cost?
is this fixable or i would have to get a new turbo? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by vertm3freak; 05-28-2013 at 03:55 AM.
      05-26-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
williamf
Audi Convert

Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Lots and lots of info on this forum about turbo problems with your model. Feel free to read until your hearts content. But the short answer is bring it to the dealer. You might still have a warrantably repair.
williamf is offline   United_States
      05-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #3
vertm3freak

Thanks, I am sure that i'm out of warranty already. But i have been looking to find out if turbo seal can be changed or fixed or if this is a sign for the turbo going bad.
I also noticed that the oil level went down as i got an oil change a month ago!
      05-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #4
SharkBait
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
If you have any wastegate rattle, you could potentially have them replaced for free as long as you're under 8 years/82k miles. There is a long thread (one of many) on the subject.

Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for these turbos? New seals, bearings, etc.
      05-26-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
vertm3freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
If you have any wastegate rattle, you could potentially have them replaced for free as long as you're under 8 years/82k miles. There is a long thread (one of many) on the subject.

Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for these turbos? New seals, bearings, etc.
There is no wastegate rattle at all. I just get white smoke on random times. car doesnt have to be warm or cold, appears randomly and i loose oil.
      05-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #6
williamf
Audi Convert

Do you have more than 82K on the car? If not, do yourself a favor and take it to the dealer.
      05-26-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
vertm3freak

Got 63k miles. Will try to call tomorrow and set an appointment. Thank and will keep you guys updated what happens. Hopefully it's nothing major.
      05-26-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
pits200
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

People keep using 82k as the turvo warranty period which is incorrect. That is only if the dealership finds significant play in the wastegates. So if there is a failure that happens that would be covered under the regular warranty period it doesn't mean its covered under the wastegate extension.
pits200 is offline   United_States
      05-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #9
norsairius
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 328i xDrive Coupe

Wouldn't white smoke be coolant burning? I believe smoke from oil should have a bluish tint to it.
      05-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
vertm3freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius
Wouldn't white smoke be coolant burning? I believe smoke from oil should have a bluish tint to it.
It was some kind of heavy white smoke that smelled like oil burn. I check the coolant frequently but the oil level keeps going down so that means I have oil that's getting lost and burnt.
      05-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
135Pats
Saving for a big ass turbo or an A3...IDK which.

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertm3freak View Post
It was some kind of heavy white smoke that smelled like oil burn. I check the coolant frequently but the oil level keeps going down so that means I have oil that's getting lost and burnt.
The smell will give it away, coolant will have a sweet smell to it, oil just smells like combustion and well...oil. The white smoke that can signify coolant burn off is a starch white, a white-greyish "smoke" tinted smoke can def. be oil. My car does the same thing, i'm quite certain at this point it's my turbo seals. They don't pour smoke or anything like that, so i'll live with it until I purchase Stg2 snails or the OE frames stop building boost.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      05-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #12
vertm3freak

If it's the turbo seals. Is that an easy fix? Around how much would it cost to change the seal?
      05-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
135Pats
Saving for a big ass turbo or an A3...IDK which.

Drives: 135i

Quote:
If it's the turbo seals. Is that an easy fix? Around how much would it cost to change the seal?
if it's your seals, you need new turbos to fix the underlying issue. So not cheap, due mostly to labor time. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's your turbo seals though, N54s leak/burn oil from numerous places
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      05-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
vertm3freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
Quote:
if it's your seals, you need new turbos to fix the underlying issue. So not cheap, due mostly to labor time. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's your turbo seals though, N54s leak/burn oil from numerous places
I just went under the car and checked for any oil leak and couldn't find anything. Went to add 1 quart of oil. Now I have no idea where this oil is going. It shouldn't be normal to burn 1 quart every month.
      05-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
williamf
Audi Convert

Quote:
I just went under the car and checked for any oil leak and couldn't find anything. Went to add 1 quart of oil. Now I have no idea where this oil is going. It shouldn't be normal to burn 1 quart every month.
You are burning the oil. So you would not necessarily see a leak.

Also, regarding the warranty. I don't think anyone said his problem "would" be covered, merely that it is prudent to take it to the dealer and check.
      05-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
Fitz335
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 335i Black

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Your actual motor could be burning oil too, it might not be the turbos. Get it looked at by a professional.
      05-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
Eric335
Colonel

Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [3.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz335 View Post
Your actual motor could be burning oil too, it might not be the turbos. Get it looked at by a professional.
+1 I was about to say this. Your lowered oil levels might be from the motor burning the oil.
      05-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
E90Company
Major General

Drives: Car

People with the N54 whenever they start to see smoke, jump to the conclusion right away that it's their turbos. In most cases it isn't, and can be from valve stem seals, faulty PCV, super-dirty intake tract, piston rings, valve cover, etc. To rule out the turbos, drop your downpipes and take a look at the turbine wheels. If you note any liquid oil then it's your turbos.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
      05-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #19
vertm3freak

I added oil and will wait till Tuesday since all the shops and the dealership are closed for Memorial week. Will keep you guys posted if I see any smoke again or loose any oil.
      05-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #20
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159

Drives: E93 335 Vert E36 M3/4

Some education here on turbo seals. The seals are actually more like large snap rings which when positioned correctly (open area up) don't blow oil into the intake and exhaust. Rebuilding the turbos is a very labor intensive project which is why most just replace them with rebuild or remanufactured turbos.

If this was my 335 I would be checking the intake to be sure you are not blowing oil into the intake which does happen under both boost and under vacuum. BMW doesn't have the most robust PCV system and many times it is leaking. Thus don't think it is just the turbos (which is very possible by the way) or as mentioned previously other engine oil causes.

Be cautious about what the dealer says. Many times they are looking to remove and replace. I have had great success with one dealer and OK success with another. Post what they tell you. You can if you can afford the downtime send your turbos off for a rebuild and they will provide you with like new turbos that are much cheaper than removing and replacing. If you do buy new turbos try Tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com as they are one of the cheapest dealer parts supplier out there.
fun2drive is offline   United_States
      05-28-2013, 01:34 AM   #21
vertm3freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive
Some education here on turbo seals. The seals are actually more like large snap rings which when positioned correctly (open area up) don't blow oil into the intake and exhaust. Rebuilding the turbos is a very labor intensive project which is why most just replace them with rebuild or remanufactured turbos.

If this was my 335 I would be checking the intake to be sure you are not blowing oil into the intake which does happen under both boost and under vacuum. BMW doesn't have the most robust PCV system and many times it is leaking. Thus don't think it is just the turbos (which is very possible by the way) or as mentioned previously other engine oil causes.

Be cautious about what the dealer says. Many times they are looking to remove and replace. I have had great success with one dealer and OK success with another. Post what they tell you. You can if you can afford the downtime send your turbos off for a rebuild and they will provide you with like new turbos that are much cheaper than removing and replacing. If you do buy new turbos try Tischer BMW at getbmwparts.com as they are one of the cheapest dealer parts supplier out there.
Thanks a lot for all of this good info!

Just an update guys. I was driving my car today and all sudden the fan started working and the car was over heating! I parked and as soon as I parked the red temperature symbol came on. I had to tow the car back and now it's sitting in my garage.
I have no idea what is going on now it is really confusing. Anyone think those two things are related or was it just a coincidence?
      05-28-2013, 02:12 AM   #22
williamf
Audi Convert

I hope I am wrong, but it is possible, but not likely you have a cracked block. The next thing to do is to look at your radiator fluid. Is it contaminated? Is it low? If the answer to either of these questions is yes, then you may be in trouble. Keep in mind that radiator fluid gets pretty yucky over time. So don't be alarmed if it is a dark color. The main thing to look for is 2 different liquids that might swirl, but not combine. Oil and Radiator fluid will not mix. Also, since your radiator is a closed system, you should not lose any noticeable amount of fluid, ever.

Here is a website that can help you understand the signs of a cracked block.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4841076_tell...k-cracked.html