E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Folks who track your cars, get in here!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Folks who track your cars, get in here!

Posted this in a local group on FB and got some good answers, but not a lot of feedback from other people who track their E9Xs. Wanted to poll a bit bigger board and see if anyone else is doing something similar.

Took my E92 328 to Sebring international raceway this past weekend for a full course DE with a club out of Oklahoma. Really great group of people that welcomed the 3 BMWs at the event (mine, an 06 M5, and a E46M) (this was a Mustang deal).

My car is as it was from the factory, save for Motul brake fluid, Carbotech pads, and a fresh .5 qt overfill of M1 oil (Potenza runflats too!)

By the end of day 1, I was really getting the car around pretty good, but I noticed that towards the end of the session, oil temps were starting to creep up towards 300*. When this would happen, the shifting got (even more) vague in DS, and the power fell off a bit, but no codes were generated. Day 2, I was driving the wheels off the thing and this was happening every session, but the temps dropped like a rock on the cooldown lap and all was well.

Questions:
  • Is anyone else crazy like me and do this?
  • I understand the E92 steptronic has a heat exchanger for the trans, but no oil cooler. I also understand the install of a fitted oil filter housing, an aftermarket cooler, and a few hours of labor is a viable option.
  • Does anyone have experience with these mods on a E9x they track?
  • Any other suggestions? {Besides get a real track car }
  • Coilovers, tires, AA tune, and sway bars are going on before the next event.



I'll end with the disclaimer:
  • Well aware a stock, steptronic E92 328i is not well suited for open track events. This is the only vehicle I have to play with right now, so it is what it is. I'll be buying another track car in 6-12 months.
  • I have many laps at this track in everything from a Miata, to a 4000# turbocharged Pontiac GTO, to 3 generations of fully track prepped Corvettes (C4, C5, C6). Not a rookie by any means to this sport.

Thanks everyone!

-Ronnie

Here is the car in question

Last edited by FOM E92; 05-28-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
CUTigers
Captain
CUTigers's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
859
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 335i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Atlanta/Lawrenceville

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Lexus IS F  [5.00]
2008 e90 335i  [4.50]
If you dont get the answers you want here in the general section, you may need to hit up a thread in the track section.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

I just saw that..mods, would you mind moving this? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

Track car or not im sure it was still fun as shit out there in the e92 even if it is stock. So besides the temps everything on the car help up well? Id love to get in on this sometime.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
Turb0Surge
Lieutenant Colonel
Turb0Surge's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: BLACK e90 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln, CA

iTrader: (0)

I've had similar problems on the track, but in my case my oil was heating up to the point where it would go into limp mode. My car is an '07 335i (no oil cooler).


Long story short the 335 wasn't too great of a track car anyway, I much prefer a manual. So except for the occasional track day at the local drag strip, I don't track my 335.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Since the only real problem I hear you reporting was thermal, I would just get an oil cooler fitted, plus a better trans heat exhanger and call it a day.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo23 View Post
Track car or not im sure it was still fun as shit out there in the e92 even if it is stock. So besides the temps everything on the car help up well? Id love to get in on this sometime.
The car was remarkable, and embarrassed quite a few cars with a significant amount more power and tire I actually surprised myself with the amount of confidence I had in the runflats out on that track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0Surge View Post
I've had similar problems on the track, but in my case my oil was heating up to the point where it would go into limp mode. My car is an '07 335i (no oil cooler).


Long story short the 335 wasn't too great of a track car anyway, I much prefer a manual. So except for the occasional track day at the local drag strip, I don't track my 335.
I wanted NA for a reason My car never made it into limp mode, (at least no code) but certainly operated at reduced power/vague shifting towards the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Since the only real problem I hear you reporting was thermal, I would just get an oil cooler fitted, plus a better trans heat exhanger and call it a day.
Agree. Has anyone had issues with anything else, like coolant temps? It was 90* out and mine were within normal for what I was doing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

I haven't heard as many problems with coolant. Personally if you're concerned about it I would just flush if you haven't recently, and add redline water wetter. Should be enough if you also do the other mods.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Already done
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #10
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Oh, which carbotech pads did you run f/r?
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
Already done
Good man
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #12
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Oh, which carbotech pads did you run f/r?
XP8.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
benzo23
Colonel
benzo23's Avatar
35
Rep
2,886
Posts

 
Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: FL

iTrader: (1)

How did you get in with that group to be able to get out onto the track?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
XP8.
Thanks. I considered Ctech but have had good experience with Racingbrake so figured I'd give their entry level track pad a try first.
__________________
2013 335is DCT -- Quaife | JRZ RS1 - 450/800# | M3 + Hardrace arms | e93 M3 + Hotchkis f/r sways | BMS CP + OCC | ETS 5" IC | AFE DP's + DCI | RB PCV + Thermo Delete | Setrab + Improved Racing oil cooling | Stoptech f+r BBK | Cobb BQ Tune

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
Killerfish2012
Major
21
Rep
1,417
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
Here is the car in question
Ronnie, your water pump is failing. Have it and your thermostat replaced stat. Trust me, I've seen this in person with a similarly tracked 328I.
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, Rouge Engineering Pulleys, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Pagid S, V1
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #16
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Ronnie, your water pump is failing. Have it and your thermostat replaced stat. Trust me, I've seen this in person with a similarly tracked 328I.
not good! Coolant temps seemed to be ok...but it wouldn't surprise me, I've been replacing parts left and right as of late.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

I would definitely recommend cooling mods with oil cooler being first followed by an AT transmission cooler for the Steptronic. (I have one of those too).

I realize you have a 328i and its not going to develop as much heat as a 335i but I still would recommend getting a dedicated track car. I know that is not what you want to hear and I did not want to hear that either since there is a large cost to buy one,...even an "cheap" track car like an old E36 M3 or Miata. I wish you luck in your endeavor. Truly I do! However, I will say this again. You will spend more money modding this car to be something it is not than if you just go out and get something you want it to be.

Think of all the costs,...2 piece rotors x4, 4 track tires (? +1 spare), race brake pads, track alignment, SS Brake lines, Oil cooler (or 2), tranny cooler, better radiator, better water pump and possibly radiator fan, suspension upgrades like bushings, coilovers, etc. Remember there are also unforseen costs where you will lose money by NOT having a dedicated track car when your car breaks down and you have paid for the HPDE 2 day weekend, trip, hotel, etc and you are watching your friends in their S2000, E36 M3, Miatas. Does it sound like I have been there?....YES. I know others have done it with their E9x. Over 1 year later I FINALLY got my 335i track worthy but WHEN stuff breaks it is also more expensive to fix than any of the other cars I mention.

I spent over $12K in mods for my 335i in parts and labor (for the things I could not do on my own) before my wife finally said "You need a dedicated track car". Miatas can be bought for $7K-$10K. A good E36 M3 can be bought for $9K-15K depending on car. Think about it... Just trying to save you the pain and money I went through.

Good luck in your decision.

N54_Fan
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #18
ashmostro
Lieutenant Colonel
ashmostro's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,760
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335is DCT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vienna, VA

iTrader: (9)

Agreed with all of the above. I'm frankly looking into this myself. Thinking c5 Z06...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 02:18 AM   #19
ixm3
First Lieutenant
8
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: M3x2
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DE

iTrader: (11)

Fwiw, i had the exact same issues with my DD 328xi Msport while on track. Oil would overheat and the car would go in limp home mode. After about 1/2 lap, it would cool down enough to be normal again, only to to heat up again and go limp-home until cooling off.

If you are going to get a track car in 6-12months, I'm not sure why you would pour $$$ into c/o, AA tune, etc in your DD 328.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #20
rheemix
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
By the end of day 1, I was really getting the car around pretty good, but I noticed that towards the end of the session, oil temps were starting to creep up towards 300*. When this would happen, the shifting got (even more) vague in DS, and the power fell off a bit, but no codes were generated. Day 2, I was driving the wheels off the thing and this was happening every session, but the temps dropped like a rock on the cooldown lap and all was well.
I have tracked my 328xi 6MT for 3 years without any cooling mods. All I had were pads, brake fluids and R6's.

I now have a 335i that I have to be careful with temps, but 328xi always ran like a champ without any thermal issues. Oil temps did go up close to 300F here and there, but never caused power loss that I could feel. This includes 90+ degree days at Mid Ohio running 25 minute sessions while running 80% of the track with WOT.

I know AT vehicles run a little hotter because of ATF cooling, but from your descriptions, it doesn't sound like temps affected your day much, if any. I wouldn't spend any money on it until it actually becomes a problem. I'd save the money for the next track car.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #21
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
I would definitely recommend cooling mods with oil cooler being first followed by an AT transmission cooler for the Steptronic. (I have one of those too).

I realize you have a 328i and its not going to develop as much heat as a 335i but I still would recommend getting a dedicated track car. I know that is not what you want to hear and I did not want to hear that either since there is a large cost to buy one,...even an "cheap" track car like an old E36 M3 or Miata. I wish you luck in your endeavor. Truly I do! However, I will say this again. You will spend more money modding this car to be something it is not than if you just go out and get something you want it to be.

Think of all the costs,...2 piece rotors x4, 4 track tires (? +1 spare), race brake pads, track alignment, SS Brake lines, Oil cooler (or 2), tranny cooler, better radiator, better water pump and possibly radiator fan, suspension upgrades like bushings, coilovers, etc. Remember there are also unforseen costs where you will lose money by NOT having a dedicated track car when your car breaks down and you have paid for the HPDE 2 day weekend, trip, hotel, etc and you are watching your friends in their S2000, E36 M3, Miatas. Does it sound like I have been there?....YES. I know others have done it with their E9x. Over 1 year later I FINALLY got my 335i track worthy but WHEN stuff breaks it is also more expensive to fix than any of the other cars I mention.

I spent over $12K in mods for my 335i in parts and labor (for the things I could not do on my own) before my wife finally said "You need a dedicated track car". Miatas can be bought for $7K-$10K. A good E36 M3 can be bought for $9K-15K depending on car. Think about it... Just trying to save you the pain and money I went through.

Good luck in your decision.

N54_Fan
Much appreciated insight...but for clarity, I am not inexperienced with car builds or destitute, just recently divorced I've had several track cars, and I will have another when the dust settles and I find a great deal on a 997.2 GT3. I just can't leave well enough alone. Stock anything sucks.

Old (most recent) track car:




Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Agreed with all of the above. I'm frankly looking into this myself. Thinking c5 Z06...
C5Z is a great choice. Upgrade the radiator and brakes for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixm3 View Post
Fwiw, i had the exact same issues with my DD 328xi Msport while on track. Oil would overheat and the car would go in limp home mode. After about 1/2 lap, it would cool down enough to be normal again, only to to heat up again and go limp-home until cooling off.

If you are going to get a track car in 6-12months, I'm not sure why you would pour $$$ into c/o, AA tune, etc in your DD 328.
Stock sucks. I can't be bored, even in my DD. I'd like the shifting to be less vague, a bit more power, and for it to be just a bit more entertaining to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheemix View Post
I have tracked my 328xi 6MT for 3 years without any cooling mods. All I had were pads, brake fluids and R6's.

I now have a 335i that I have to be careful with temps, but 328xi always ran like a champ without any thermal issues. Oil temps did go up close to 300F here and there, but never caused power loss that I could feel. This includes 90+ degree days at Mid Ohio running 25 minute sessions while running 80% of the track with WOT.

I know AT vehicles run a little hotter because of ATF cooling, but from your descriptions, it doesn't sound like temps affected your day much, if any. I wouldn't spend any money on it until it actually becomes a problem. I'd save the money for the next track car.

They caused me concern, and with it being a DD, a little added margin of safety is never a bad thing.

Last edited by FOM E92; 06-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #22
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
8
Rep
502
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parts unknown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
Much appreciated insight...but for clarity, I am not inexperienced with car builds or destitute, just recently divorced I've had several track cars, and I will have another when the dust settles and I find a great deal on a 997.2 GT3. I just can't leave well enough alone. Stock anything sucks.

Old (most recent) track car:






C5Z is a great choice. Upgrade the radiator and brakes for sure.



Stock sucks. I can't be bored, even in my DD. I'd like the shifting to be less vague, a bit more power, and for it to be just a bit more entertaining to drive.



They caused me concern, and with it being a DD, a little added margin of safety is never a bad thing.
I agree stock sux. I bought a C5 Z06 for the track just 6 months ago and already spending money on race clutch and tranny... However, you must admit that the C6 you have/had is much more track car than this 328. I also agree the best all around track car is a 911 GT3 RS but I choose not to spend $150k+ on a track car. I think the best bang for the buck track car is either C5 Z06 or C6 Z06 depending on if you can live with less hp (C5) or more cost and somewhat less reliability on track (C6). Either way both cars are great track cars and you can mod the piss out of them for less than a 911 GT3 RS.

Last edited by N54_Fan; 06-06-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST