E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Adding a sub to 2011 e90 coupe



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Adding a sub to 2011 e90 coupe

Hello

I have a 2011 e92 coupe and I want to add a Sub Woofer to the boot. Im not quite sure where to tap into for the signal.

The car has Professional Idrive with nav and bluetooth.

Im not 100% sure what system I have. But as far as I can tell its the crappy basic one. One because it just sounds crap and two because I have found 2 speakers in the front doors 2 speakers in the back and 2 speakers under the seats. No Tweeters, so far as im aware this is the basic system for this cars age.

Iv not checked but from research this system does not have a amp in the boot either. Its all powered from the IDrive internal amp.

Any advice on best place to grab an audio signal from?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
IanS100
Colonel
IanS100's Avatar
United Kingdom
32
Rep
2,646
Posts

 
Drives: 320d LCI M Sport Plus
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

The HU
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
7,668
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

On a standard HU, tap the front speaker wires as thats full range.
Rear speakers are high passed on the base sound system.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
DocD
Private First Class
1
Rep
114
Posts

 
Drives: 330d M-Sport E90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

I have the basic no tweeter system in my e90. Today I installed the plug and play Blaupunkt amplifier and it has transformed the sound to the point where I'm no longer considering installing the boot sub I had in my e46.

I will very likely add the tweeters and might upgrade the under seat subs but the situation is no longer desperate
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,246
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD View Post
I have the basic no tweeter system in my e90. Today I installed the plug and play Blaupunkt amplifier and it has transformed the sound to the point where I'm no longer considering installing the boot sub I had in my e46.

I will very likely add the tweeters and might upgrade the under seat subs but the situation is no longer desperate
Which and where did you get your Blaupunkt amp?
Is there one suitable for the Hifi (with tweeter) system?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:29 AM   #6
MEGA
Dieseasal
MEGA's Avatar
United Kingdom
108
Rep
6,849
Posts

 
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Harrow, London

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to MEGA
Take a feed from passenger speaker and run it to the high level input on whatever amp you want to power the HU. Then use a hpf on the amp to get rid of the non sub frequencies.

Make sure whatever amp you buy can do both of those things. High level input to RCA converters is something I'd never recommend.
__________________
Previously: 2003 Peugeot 206 1.6 8v | 2006 E90 320d M-Sport, 19" BBS CH, Full Ice-cold JL audio install, August 2010 Total BMW 6 page feature car. | 2003 Nissan 350Z GT Coupe 286BHP
Now:2010 E92 LCI 335d M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:36 AM   #7
DocD
Private First Class
1
Rep
114
Posts

 
Drives: 330d M-Sport E90
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Southport UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
Which and where did you get your Blaupunkt amp?
Is there one suitable for the Hifi (with tweeter) system?
I think it was the THA275 plug and play (at work right now) + the pnp adapter and pnp extension. I bought it from Amazon.de as it was much cheaper than the uk price. The same kit works for the tweeter model I believe.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
7,668
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Just a bit of correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Take a feed from passenger speaker and run it to the high level input on whatever amp you want to power the HU.
You'll have problem with the balance. Balance the settings to right for whatever reason will eliminate the sub out of sound system.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Then use a hpf on the amp to get rid of the non sub frequencies.
I guess you meant LPF.
If he follows your settings, sub will be cooked within few minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
Make sure whatever amp you buy can do both of those things. High level input to RCA converters is something I'd never recommend.
Spot on.

However quality RCA converters do a decent job.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #9
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Such shame there is no amp in the boot seeing as the battery is there. Would of made for one easy sub install

Found these guys might see if they can sort some thing out. I just don't fancy ripping this car apart my self hehe.

http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...d=56&Itemid=95
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #10
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

I have found these guys
http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...d=56&Itemid=95

Who seam to know there stuff.

I have been quoted the following for having front speakers swapped and amped + adding some tweeters.

And adding a very expensive (it is to me lol) Sub in the boot.

Does this look like a good install to you guys? It is a lot of money to spend on just audio! They have a demo Car so I think I am going to go down and have a little listen. They seam to only use quality components so should be a very clean quality install once complete.

examples
www.pindmd.com/img1.jpg
www.pindmd.com/img1.jpg

email
"The front end can be taken care of with a system 2 which is 999 fully fitted, that will give you the Focal components, and JL amp to run the factory subs under the seats to give a nice punch.



Then I would recommend the JL13T5 V2, its what I use in my X5 and it will produce astonishing lows, even in the solid boot of the 3 series! JL supply it in a very slim box which fits perfectly in the 3 series up against the seat it costs 599, I have attached a picture.



Next you would need a JL Audio 600/1 to drive it properly at a cost of 314.99



Once all this is in there, you would really want an Audison BIT 10 to control it all with. I have just completed an identical system in a 3 series for another customer and he loved it, he went for a system 3 plus the other bits to gain even more punch up front.



Total cost as follows



System 2 999

JL 13T5 V2 599

JL XD 600/1 314.99

Audison BIT 10 299



Extra labour and cables 240



Grand total 2451.99



Grand total starting with a system 3 2951.99 ( the ultimate BMW upgrade)"
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Leonard123
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Hello
I have the audiofile stage 2 kit in my car and it is very good for the money. Nice tidy factory looking install as well.
Treble is crisp and the base is good as well even with std subs now that they are powered off the JL amp.
Maybe lacking slightly in the midrange but not sure how to solve that one and it is only with some types of music.
Overall though VERY good and highly recommended. I do not think you would be upset with the std stage 3 kit for 1500. Save the grand for some other choice mods!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

They have a demo car with stage 3 in it so I will have a little listen. And if I need more bass ill go for the extra grands worth of sub components hehe.

what's the boom boom like? I really like low boom boom bass
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
dest
Captain
dest's Avatar
United Kingdom
10
Rep
863
Posts

 
Drives: 330d Msport Touring
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Northamptonshire

iTrader: (4)

Why not fit a decent after market headunit, upgrade the speakers in their original locations and put a sub in the boot run off the HU pre outs. All that will cost a lot less than your quotes and pretty straight forward to fit too

Edit, whoops missed the bit saying you've got idrive!

I will add, mine has the high upgrade which is ok but the under seat subs aren't up to much if you like lots of bass. I might put a sub in my boot.
Speak to mr Singh on here, he can sort a plug n play harness which will give you RCA outputs for a sub
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General
makkan00's Avatar
United Kingdom
130
Rep
7,668
Posts

 
Drives: F10
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Essex

iTrader: (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdx View Post
I have found these guys
http://www.audiofile-incar.co.uk/ind...d=56&Itemid=95

Who seam to know there stuff.

I have been quoted the following for having front speakers swapped and amped + adding some tweeters.

And adding a very expensive (it is to me lol) Sub in the boot.

Does this look like a good install to you guys? It is a lot of money to spend on just audio! They have a demo Car so I think I am going to go down and have a little listen. They seam to only use quality components so should be a very clean quality install once complete.

examples
www.pindmd.com/img1.jpg
www.pindmd.com/img1.jpg

email
"The front end can be taken care of with a system 2 which is 999 fully fitted, that will give you the Focal components, and JL amp to run the factory subs under the seats to give a nice punch.



Then I would recommend the JL13T5 V2, its what I use in my X5 and it will produce astonishing lows, even in the solid boot of the 3 series! JL supply it in a very slim box which fits perfectly in the 3 series up against the seat it costs 599, I have attached a picture.



Next you would need a JL Audio 600/1 to drive it properly at a cost of 314.99



Once all this is in there, you would really want an Audison BIT 10 to control it all with. I have just completed an identical system in a 3 series for another customer and he loved it, he went for a system 3 plus the other bits to gain even more punch up front.



Total cost as follows



System 2 999

JL 13T5 V2 599

JL XD 600/1 314.99

Audison BIT 10 299



Extra labour and cables 240



Grand total 2451.99



Grand total starting with a system 3 2951.99 ( the ultimate BMW upgrade)"
It has been discussed long time ago that all the kits are over priced.
If you can afford those kits, go for it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Leonard123
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

I honestly cant believe you will want more boom boom than stage 3 LOL Spend the 1k on something else
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #16
Leonard123
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
It has been discussed long time ago that all the kits are over priced.
If you can afford those kits, go for it.
If you take component prices into account plus labour i think they arent that bad...

And I didnt pay for mine previous owner did
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #17
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

well I haven't actually heard stage three yet so it might be enough boom boom Ill have to see when I hear it


I have always gone the cheap route in my previous cars. Leaving all the old speakers alone then just sticking some cheap 300 sub amp box bundle in the boot and bodging the wiring by tapping into some speaker or amp or somin using line converters and stuff. This time I want a proper quality install that will sound amazing, set up by people who really know what they are doing and using proper quality components. And I think what they offer meets all that. The install uses a "300 pound Audison BIT 10" Its gonna sound sweet!

I checked the pricing for some of the parts they were quoting and they came out the same so they are not making any profit on the components (unless they are buying in bulk)

What your paying for is there time and experience and that not many people do that thing sort of thing. Also this install will NOT void my BMW warranty as they do work for BMW and are covered (still need to look into this but this is what i have been told, will double check before having any work done)

Its something I just don't have a clue how to do. And if you want it done perfect you have to pay for it

Like any strange custom job (you can't do your self lol) its gonna cost ya


Will stop by next week and have a listen to the demo cars then decide what direction I want to go in

Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Leonard123
Private
0
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Derbyshire

iTrader: (0)

Cool let me know what you think of Stage 3 as I was weighing up 'finishing the job' and getting it done

All best

Matt
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #19
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Driving up next friday to have a listen and decide what direction to go in. Will keep everyone updated
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Drove up from bristol (that was a long drive, daaamn you m25 lol)

System sounds amazing never heard a audio system so clear it was crazy. The bass was very good but a little bit to punchy and tight for my taste, although i think thats just how the demo car was set up on the bit ten audio processor.

Any way we went for a sort of custom install.

System 2
JL Audio Twin 12inch (more boooom booom )
JL 600 (power the booom booom)
Audison Bit 10 (clean the heavily equalized bmw signal and equalize it to my taste! (boom boooom))

Whole lot comes to 2k

Cant wait will be an amazing system
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 01:26 PM   #21
sylonien
Major
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,246
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

iTrader: (0)

Wow thats some serious cash there!
Goodluck!

I'm in the process of adding a sub to my Hifi system and see how it goes first before I splash out anymore money!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #22
russdx
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 325D M SPORT,2014 E220AMG
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bristol - United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Had the system fitted

AUDISON BIT TEN
Focal 100 KRS
JL XD400/4
JL XD600/1
JL Audio CP212-Wv3 - Twin 12W0v3 Subwoofer Enclosure (Ported)
*I think thats the subs i need to ask to double check*

I am seriously impressed it just blows the standard OEM system away. Its so much louder and cleaner and insanely bassy.

I am currently trying to figure out how to tweak the audison bit ten to get the bass slightly less tight and punchy to more my taste. It comes with software you can install into a laptop then plug into the audison usb. But I have no idea when it comes to audio and at the moment it has been setup but with flat presets. So i know it can sound even more amazing then setup correctly but im not sure how hehe. Need to do some research i think hehe.

Over all definitely worth the 2k and will continue to tweak the audison and make it sound even better!!!

They took some pictures of the installation, the second i get hold of them i will upload them here

Seriously recommend audiofile incar!!!!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST