E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Claybar-ing for the first time...Concerns

06-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #1
WRichieX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07 335i e93 6MT

Garage List
Claybar-ing for the first time...Concerns

Normally, when I want to do something, I just do it. This has worked out well in some cases and some I've learned from my mistakes. However, this past week, I had a little more time on my hands so I started doing some research about claybar-ing. Then some more. And then some more. Basically I researched to a point where I start doubting myself and questions arose that probably shouldn't. After reading a bunch of posts and youtube videos on process, I was confident and excited at first, now I'm a bit intimidated. I read that there are different types of clay for different colors, different clay for beginners so you don't mess up paint, etc. I know people have different preferences and what not, but any good product recommendations/tips for a beginner? Am I just thinking too much? Any help appreciated.

07 BMW 335i E93 6MT (Praying neighborhood doesn't get flooded...again)
04 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT (Flooded)
08 Audi TT 2.0T DSG (Flooded)
03 Subaru WRX 5MT (Flooded)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:18 PM   #2
WRichieX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BTW my color is black

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
PTek Will
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335i coupe

just do it bro
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep

Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [2.83]
just make sure you apply a generous amount of detail spray to reduce the swirls.
Black/ Dark cars are always a PITA to clean.
      06-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
WRichieX
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wangsta View Post
just do it bro
Haha Thanks bro!

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #6
BA335iS
Turbonator
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335iS

Garage List
2012 BMW 335iS  [4.00]
2007 Acura RDX  [0.00]
Follow some basic tips and it shouldn't be too intimidating

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-De...uide/Clay-Bar/

◾If you drop a piece of clay, throw it away!
◾Working on a small area ensures that your clay lube will not dry up too fast
◾Do not use too much pressure when gliding a clay bar across the lubricated surface
◾Using a quick detailer that leaves behind a slick surface is often good as a clay bar lubricant <I use Meguiar's Quick Detailer
◾For most vehicles, we recommend using a fine grade clay bar
◾A medium grade clay bar will almost always leave behind some marring that needs to be polished to remove
◾Optimum No Rinse mixed with water is a common clay bar lubricant amongst professionals
◾You can often tell if there is contamination still on the surface by listening closely as your clay
◾Avoid using a clay bar in direct sunlight so that your clay lube does not dry up quickly
◾Cutting your clay bar into small pieces helps preserve your clay in the event you drop a piece
◾Always try to reshape your clay to expose a fresh, clean piece of clay
◾When storing your clay bar, mist some of your clay lube in the bag or container to keep is soft and flexible
◾It's good practice to re-wash your vehicle after using a clay bar to remove any loosened contamination and to remove excess clay bar residue
◾Clay not only works well on your paint, but also your glass, wheels, plastics and other surfaces
      06-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e90

There are different grades of clay ranging from fine to med to coarse. Most of the time, fine grade will be fine and safe for the majority of all the cars on the road. The only time you get into the med and coarse is when you have a heavily contaminated car. You might be able to get away without polishing after using the fine grade clay (for Jet Black....most likely not but you might be lucky few who could ). You will for sure have to polish using the more aggressive ones.

The key to claying is lubrication. Plain water or soapy water IMO are simply not good enough. I am sure there are those who would disagree but again it is my opinion.

What is absolute control???? Having the means and the abilities to exercise it at will but....chooses not to.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #8
jfong425
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i Alpine White

this was a very interesting post. Now to wash and detail my car now.

THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
P1et
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

I have detailed many cars in my lifetime and if I can tell you one thing it's that in MOST CASES you will marr the paint by claybarring it. Especially a black non-metallic paint. If you're going through the effort of claybarring, then follow up with a light polish and the world will, once again, be at peace.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

We use a separate clay for the side skirts and wheels, just a good precaution. It is one of the most dirtiest parts of the car.

You can clay plastic, just be careful about that. I would suggest not claying plastic all together.

Keep the car lubricated so that way you're not harming the paint, but you don't want to over saturate it because it could shorten the life span of the clay as well. You don't want to drench the car down with detail spray as well, it does get back into the cracks and panels, then you'd have sitting detail spray in between. If you have clear bra don't put too much pressure on it, take your time, you can potentially scratch it.

Check the clay often to see if its getting dirty and fold often. Sometimes even if you don't see the clay getting dirty, its removing something. For example, the front fender, I'd fold the clay at least 2x when its in a good condition.

Last but not least, have fun and good luck with claying! =)
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #11
Otruba_843
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E90

Just do it. Follow up with a light polish after wards. It's not hard, but just remember if you drop the clay, throw it out.
      06-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #12
RD335
Warranty Pussy
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335i Saloon

Garage List
2011 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to RD335
Read about what ZAINO says about Clay Bar-ing here

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...C&Store_Code=Z
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #13
cyclicoyster
Private
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 328i

Guys, I want to do this to my car soon. I don't think it's ever been done to it.
I hear that after claying you should follow up with a polish. Is it necessary to wash in between the claying and the polish?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
jbnery6465
Private
Rep

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclicoyster View Post
Guys, I want to do this to my car soon. I don't think it's ever been done to it.
I hear that after claying you should follow up with a polish. Is it necessary to wash in between the claying and the polish?
It is not necessary to wash in between claying and polishing, here's a general guide (well at least how I've been doing it):
1. Wash car - no need to dry, keep it wet as this will help the clay/lube also)
2. Clay bar the car
3. Wipe down/dry the car clean
4. Polish
5. Sealant/Wax

The only reason for following up with a polish after the wax is if you're going to be doing paint correction - getting rid of swirls and imperfections.
      06-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
It is not necessary to wash in between claying and polishing, here's a general guide (well at least how I've been doing it):
1. Wash car - no need to dry, keep it wet as this will help the clay/lube also)
2. Clay bar the car
3. Wipe down/dry the car clean
4. Polish
5. Sealant/Wax

The only reason for following up with a polish after the wax is if you're going to be doing paint correction - getting rid of swirls and imperfections.
Just keep in mind if you do use water as a lubricant, your clay bar can degrade a bit faster.

Ideally, you would want to wash the car after a clay session, but depending on the condition while you're claying you don't need to wash it.

Ideally, you would like to polish after a clay session as well, but depending on the clay condition as well. If the car was well maintained and claying wasn't bad, you can skip the polish step and go straight to waxing/sealing your car. If the clay was bad, I would recommend polishing afterwards. Whenever you clay your car, you are scratching it (depending on condition of paint, you can potentially scratch it a lot.)

I would recommend using our products for this step, use Detail Addict G-3500 and Detail Addict Carnauba Wax, you can combine them and essentially polish and wax in one step. You can buy them at www.DetailAddict.com

Always wax your car... Its what helps protect it and makes claying a bit easier the next time around.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0