E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Match PP 82DSP and Jehnert flatline

12-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Match PP 82DSP and Jehnert flatline

So, after years of deliberation I've just pressed the buy button on the PP 82DSP from Bimmertech and a set of Jehnert flatlines 😄

I want to run the Flatlines active so could do with some wiring advice please

They're going in my 135i (1Addicts forum not as active as this one), so hopefully Bimmertech can support with an appropriate tune for this setup

Lastly, I plan to run this setup as it is and maybe later add a dedicated 12" sub - any recommendations if I go this route?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Do you have factory tweeters?
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 3.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes I do. Hi-fi setup
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

You'll be running wires into the doors. Not sure off hand if it's one or two sets. That need to be ran into the doors. Pretty sure it's 2 sets.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 3.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

I presumed I'd be running 1 pair of wires in to each door to either the mid or tweeter. Therefore leaving the current door wiring dedicated to the mid or tweeter.

Then I'd need to feed the 2 new pairs of wires back to the amp and figure out how to wire it up.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
6spdcoupe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 TBSS, '06 E55, '13 CX-9

If you have HiFi and using the Bimmertech PP82 then the only runs you need is one pair to each door. Signal comes from the harness already.

Kenwood DNN992 >Helix DSP PRO, HEC-BT, Director
Brax Matrix MX4 ..PHD Studio 6.1/ Focal 33KX
Brax Matrix MX4 ..Dynaudio Esotar 110/430
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 10:54 PM   #7
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

My bad. I was thinking of door boards.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #8
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

What's the best (quality) way to play audio from my iPhone through this setup?

I currently have AirPlay playing through the aux socket (no USB). It sounds decent (still have stock system, awaiting delivery of new system) but I'm sure there's room for improvement?

If I go optical from AirPlay to PP82DSP can I still play radio through the head unit?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:16 PM   #9
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yea, you can use both optical and analog inputs and the pp82 will switch between the two depending on whether the digital signal is present or not. So, AirPlay off, radio plays, AirPlay on, airport plays. Boom.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 08:36 PM   #10
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks mathematics
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics
Yea, you can use both optical and analog inputs and the pp82 will switch between the two depending on whether the digital signal is present or not. So, AirPlay off, radio plays, AirPlay on, airport plays. Boom.
That is a useful design
      12-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #12
6spdcoupe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 TBSS, '06 E55, '13 CX-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
That is a useful design
Very much so !

BTW .. tried replying to your PMs numerous times but can't when your box is full. Email is easier.

Kenwood DNN992 >Helix DSP PRO, HEC-BT, Director
Brax Matrix MX4 ..PHD Studio 6.1/ Focal 33KX
Brax Matrix MX4 ..Dynaudio Esotar 110/430
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
That is a useful design
Very much so !

BTW .. tried replying to your PMs numerous times but can't when your box is full. Email is easier.
Hmm. I deleted a bunch. Ill try your email i should still have it
      12-25-2015, 10:58 PM   #14
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

I couldn't wait and decided to do the sub at the same time!

My install (into my E82) will look something like this:

Hi-Fi system
Jehnert flatline 3ways
Bimmertech Match PP82dsp
12" Alpine Type R
JL JX1000/1D
Stealth sealed enclosure
Airport express running optical to PP82dsp

Hopefully Bimmertech can support with the dsp tune
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:40 AM   #15
Nelson@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff500 View Post
I couldn't wait and decided to do the sub at the same time!

My install (into my E82) will look something like this:

Hi-Fi system
Jehnert flatline 3ways
Bimmertech Match PP82dsp
12" Alpine Type R
JL JX1000/1D
Stealth sealed enclosure
Airport express running optical to PP82dsp

Hopefully Bimmertech can support with the dsp tune
We're not able to create a tune for every custom set up. Fortunately we happen to have a tune for the Jehnerts.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #16
Griff500
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks, that should help me get started
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #17
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
This does indeed work as I modified an Apple Airport to run in the car and run the optical output into my Helix DSP. I did run into a couple issues however that have caused me to abandon this.

1. would get annoying pop when switching between analog and digital sources.
2. had to control volume with the ios device, radio volume no longer works as it is totally out of the chain.
4. to remedy this I bought the Helix remote which can be programmed to operate both the master volume and the sub volume, have this in the trunk right now. lost interest (didn't think it was worth it) before going through the trouble of routing the Helix remote into the cabin.
5. one additional note worthy of mention is that the Helix remote also has a manual button that can be programmed to switch between the analog and digital source and when I switch this way, the annoying pop does not happen.

And a recommendation to Griff.... regarding tuning the DSP, it is not difficult and fun to learn. Get some rudimentary mic/rta capability and after setting up your inputs/outputs and crossovers you can have fun with the EQ.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 01-03-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:20 AM   #18
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti
Quote:
This does indeed work as I modified an Apple Airport to run in the car and run the optical output into my Helix DSP. I did run into a couple issues however that have caused me to abandon this.

1. would get annoying pop when switching between analog and digital sources.
2. had to control volume with the ios device, radio volume no longer works as it is totally out of the chain.
4. to remedy this I bought the Helix remote which can be programmed to operate both the master volume and the sub volume, have this in the trunk right now. lost interest (didn't think it was worth it) before going through the trouble of routing the Helix remote into the cabin.
5. one additional note worthy of mention is that the Helix remote also has a manual button that can be programmed to switch between the analog and digital source and when I switch this way, the annoying pop does not happen.
Did you attempt to adjust the delays for source switching in the software or did you just give up? I would adjust those bc it usually resolves that issue. Should have just asked before assuming it just doesn't work. Even if it didn't work, manual source selection via the remote you already have is a deal breaker?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:34 AM   #19
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Did you attempt to adjust the delays for source switching in the software or did you just give up? I would adjust those bc it usually resolves that issue. Should have just asked before assuming it just doesn't work. Even if it didn't work, manual source selection via the remote you already have is a deal breaker?
Math - do you mean the 'release time' that is the time when it no longer detects the digital signal and goes back to analog? If so, yes I did and it didn't make a difference. Also played with the sensitivity of signal detection for switching to the digital, again no difference. Can you recommend some release time and sensitivity settings that are working for you? I could give it another go.

I was satisfied that the remote with the manual switching solved the issue and could have lived with that if I just moved the remote into the cabin, so that could be a very good option for your customers. My main reason for doing this was to take the oem hifi head unit out of the signal chain to see how good my Helix to JLAudio to Morel system could sound. And frankly I was disappointed in that I couldn't detect that much of an improvement over my other 2 sources that use the head unit (USB stick in the center console and an APTX Bluetooth device in the aux connection). So for me moving the Helix remote to inside the cabin wasn't worth the effort.

I do have one more question for you though... how do you run your AE? Do you create a mobile hotspot with your phone and then have your airport join that network in order to airplay to the AE? I assume this is the only way of doing it?
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out

Last edited by cdgatti; 01-03-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #20
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Kinda difficult to get high end sound from morel and JL. You really think it's the DSP? I run the P-Six with PHD and Jehnert off AirPlay and its stunning how amazing it sounds. There's a reason why we replace Morel's here. Just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #21
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Kinda difficult to get high end sound from morel and JL. You really think it's the DSP? I run the P-Six with PHD and Jehnert off AirPlay and its stunning how amazing it sounds. There's a reason why we replace Morel's here. Just a thought.
OK - don't want to get into a ford vs chevy argument here... that wasn't my point. My experiment was to see if the oem head unit was holding my system back and I determined it isn't.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

you lost interest in using the DSP with remote to switch sources because you don't notice a difference between airplay and head unit? it's not an issue with the DSP or air play. it's an issue with your amps and speakers. that's what I was trying to tell you. I am speaking from experience. it's silly for us to even compare the JL/Morel setups to anything else.
Appreciate 0