E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Circuit of the Americas (vid)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

Circuit of the Americas (vid)

I had the opportunity to drive COTA last weekend at the BMWCCA Texas Trifecta. I can't say anything about the track/facility that you haven't already heard, but I thought I'd share a little vid from my experience. It was pretty incredible. This was the first couple laps of my last session on Sunday in the blue run group.

'07 E92 on stock suspension/wheels. I was running COBB stg 1 aggressive, STETT stage 2 oil cooler, Hankook R-S3s. I logged some temps with the COBB that I thought were interesting to see...



Sunday morning, when the skies opened up on us



My fastest speed on the long straight, 132 mph

__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i

Last edited by acj75; 09-05-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Added rain video
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Castle's Avatar
3
Rep
276
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: -

iTrader: (0)

Nice!

What's with the Porsche driver? just shitty or was he with you?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Nice!

What's with the Porsche driver? just shitty or was he with you?
I didn't know him. I pointed him by early thinking I'd never see him again, but I'm pretty sure he's not a very experienced driver.

Edit - There were a number of drivers who only drove Sunday. In the blue group, our first session took place during a torrential downpour. The second session was under a standing yellow the entire time while they towed a car off the back side of the course. So for some, the 3rd session was the only session driven at speed which may have been the case with the P car.
__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i

Last edited by acj75; 06-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
Killerfish2012
Major
21
Rep
1,405
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (4)

Nice run! any plans to go cobb stage 2, or better yet, cobb race gas map? Do you have an LSD? if not, any plans to fit one in?
__________________
E90 335I: FBO +wavetrac LSD
E92 M3: K&N, Rouge Engineering Pulleys, Macht Schnell Test Pipes, Pagid S, V1
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #5
FOM E92
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: Red E92 ZSP
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

On my track bucket list. The organization I run with is trying to get a date there...we'll see. It's a big chunk of change up front.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
DallasBoosted
Captain
DallasBoosted's Avatar
11
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
I had the opportunity to drive COTA last weekend at the BMWCCA Texas Trifecta. I can't say anything about the track/facility that you haven't already heard, but I thought I'd share a little vid from my experience. It was pretty incredible. This was the first couple laps of my last session on Sunday in the blue run group.

'07 E92 on stock suspension/wheels. I was running COBB stg 1 aggressive, STETT stage 2 oil cooler, Hankook R-S3s. I logged some temps with the COBB that I thought were interesting to see...

Love the cobb datalogging. Is that speed datalog from GPS or from the Cobb log?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
Nice run! any plans to go cobb stage 2, or better yet, cobb race gas map? Do you have an LSD? if not, any plans to fit one in?
No LSD, but maybe some additional cooling and less body roll would be nice in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM E92 View Post
On my track bucket list. The organization I run with is trying to get a date there...we'll see. It's a big chunk of change up front.
I hope you guys can make it, it was a real honor to be able to take part in the event!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Love the cobb datalogging. Is that speed datalog from GPS or from the Cobb log?
Speed, lateral G, Acceleration G, were all logged with the AiM SOLO. I used the COBB for RPM, boost, oil, coolant, charge air temps. I had to build a data profile for the COBB since one doesn't exist in DashWare, but it's really not difficult. The COBB has a ton of logging parameters available and any of them can be overlayed onto the video.
__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

One of the many highlights for me was going out for some hot laps in a new M5 with one of the BMW M Performance school instructors. BMW NA sent them down with stacks of PSS tires and carbon ceramic rotors to showcase the new M5 and M6 Gran Coupes. I still can't get over how fast and capable those cars are with a good driver - and make no mistake - they were all phenomenal drivers!
__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,572
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Nice!

What's with the Porsche driver? just shitty or was he with you?

Looks like he was happy to blast down the straights... ACJ was using the curbing, which is the fast way around COTA. The porsche wasn't driving hard in the corners, and probably didn't want to be hounded..
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Timujin
First Lieutenant
Timujin's Avatar
4
Rep
360
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Very damn cool.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
vwong
Lieutenant
vwong's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
594
Posts

 
Drives: All Euro
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to vwong Send a message via Yahoo to vwong
Very cool...hope one day I can make it out to TX for this track.
__________________
2010 Audi S4 6MT
2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
YouTube Channel
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

COTA in the rain

__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
labedra
First Lieutenant
labedra's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
304
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere on Planet Earth for now.

iTrader: (2)

How did you embed all this logging data into the movie? Very interested and very cool. What software did you use to plug the data in? BTW nice video!
__________________

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
DallasBoosted
Captain
DallasBoosted's Avatar
11
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
No LSD, but maybe some additional cooling and less body roll would be nice in the future



I hope you guys can make it, it was a real honor to be able to take part in the event!



Speed, lateral G, Acceleration G, were all logged with the AiM SOLO. I used the COBB for RPM, boost, oil, coolant, charge air temps. I had to build a data profile for the COBB since one doesn't exist in DashWare, but it's really not difficult. The COBB has a ton of logging parameters available and any of them can be overlayed onto the video.
Forgot to ask, was this with the stock IC? I need to datalog my charge air temps on the track, but have never gotten around to it. I just bought a gopoint BT1 to use with harry's lap timer, but I don't think it saves charge air temp.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #15
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by labedra View Post
How did you embed all this logging data into the movie? Very interested and very cool. What software did you use to plug the data in? BTW nice video!
Thx, I did the overlay in DashWare. You export the data files as a .csv from your device (COBB AP and AiM SOLO in my case), then import your video (GoPro) and data file or files into DashWare. From there you can sync them and add gauges.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Forgot to ask, was this with the stock IC? I need to datalog my charge air temps on the track, but have never gotten around to it. I just bought a gopoint BT1 to use with harry's lap timer, but I don't think it saves charge air temp.
Yes, stock IC. I'm just running the tune and Stett OC. Here's another vid I made of my fastest speed on the long straight according to the AiM, 132 mph. Interesting to note that when I was running stage 0 on the first day, my fastest speed was 127, so 5 mph gain running Stg 1 aggressive vs Stg 0. This was pretty late in the session, and it was the hottest part of the day..

__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
DallasBoosted
Captain
DallasBoosted's Avatar
11
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
Thx, I did the overlay in DashWare. You export the data files as a .csv from your device (COBB AP and AiM SOLO in my case), then import your video (GoPro) and data file or files into DashWare. From there you can sync them and add gauges.




Yes, stock IC. I'm just running the tune and Stett OC. Here's another vid I made of my fastest speed on the long straight according to the AiM, 132 mph. Interesting to note that when I was running stage 0 on the first day, my fastest speed was 127, so 5 mph gain running Stg 1 aggressive vs Stg 0. This was pretty late in the session, and it was the hottest part of the day..

Cool, fun track. I'm going to one of the TWS open track days Sept 13th, come on out. Need more 335's, I'm always the only one.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
acj75
First Lieutenant
acj75's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
383
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Cool, fun track. I'm going to one of the TWS open track days Sept 13th, come on out. Need more 335's, I'm always the only one.
TWS is high on my list. My next event will be the BMW HPDE at MSR in October, but hopefully we'll cross paths one of these times. Agreed, always good to see another 335i out there!
__________________
'07 E92 BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #18
DallasBoosted
Captain
DallasBoosted's Avatar
11
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acj75 View Post
TWS is high on my list. My next event will be the BMW HPDE at MSR in October, but hopefully we'll cross paths one of these times. Agreed, always good to see another 335i out there!
I'll be at MSR the weekend before that with drivers edge.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
I35it
all day
I35it's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
966
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i 1989 325is
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
1989 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2012 135i  [0.00]
awesome!! I really want to get into this!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST