E90Post
 


TireRack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Little trip from John O'Groats to Beijing!!



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Little trip from John O'Groats to Beijing!!

Got back to home after what I can only describe as an epic holiday…

Started by spending 5 days in the saddle, riding a fabulous Trek Road bike across Scotland with a bunch of mates and seeing some of the best bits of the Highlands, ended up in John O'Groats.



Some how just 48hrs after getting off the bike at John’O Groats I was in HongKong!!



Followed by a dash to Shanghai (thunder and lighting show included for free at the airport) to meet up with my wife and see the rest of the family. Amazed how much one city can change in less than 2 decades.



Than smashed it to Beijing at 310 km/h thanks to a rather fancy train to see some of the old stuff (and some food to scare the tourists).





Even managed to make it to Xi’an,and got a quick bike ride in on the 500 year old+ city wall to finish off the holiday!!



...now I just need another holiday to get ready for a trip to Thailand in a few weeks. Me and the wife are taking full advantage of been kids free and trying to go to as many places in 12 months as possible ..before we have to start looking at prams and talking about how to change nappies all day

Last edited by gangzoom; 06-17-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #2
dobbo99
Captain
9
Rep
856
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

great photos, makes me want a holiday!
we are changing nappies and pushing prams at present, not that its a bad thing of course, its fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

Fantastic! enjoy it while you can. I took my freedom for granted before kids.

I get more joy from then than anything else on this earth though. Never thought i'd be like that.
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,419
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Very nice pics!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #5
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Great pics gagzoom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
Never thought i'd be like that.
Snap. Your entire world view changes in the blink of an eye doesn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
SF123D
New Member
0
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

iTrader: (0)

Stunning pics, thanks for sharing !!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,288
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Great pics mate, looks like you had a really good time.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbo99 View Post
great photos, makes me want a holiday!
we are changing nappies and pushing prams at present, not that its a bad thing of course, its fantastic.
I know its worth it but just been selfish at the moment and wanting to enjoy life for my self

Most of our friends are parents already, went to a birthday party last night and the evenings conversation revolved around how to keep a baby asleep with white noise...These days I have total respect for any parents, I struggle if I don't get more than 6hrs of solid sleep at the moment, how people manage to turn up to work after been woken up by 4/5 times every night by a newborn is amazing
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #9
dobbo99
Captain
9
Rep
856
Posts

 
Drives: e46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
I know its worth it but just been selfish at the moment and wanting to enjoy life for my self

Most of our friends are parents already, went to a birthday party last night and the evenings conversation revolved around how to keep a baby asleep with white noise...These days I have total respect for any parents, I struggle if I don't get more than 6hrs of solid sleep at the moment, how people manage to turn up to work after been woken up by 4/5 times every night by a newborn is amazing
this was me a year ago.
you think "how on earth will I function on 4 hours sleep?" but you do, and its not for long, and you forget all about it when he/she smiles at you anyway.
after a while, getting up 3 or 4 times a night is the norm.

but, if you have the opportunity to see the world beforehand, then do it, as life will never be the same again.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #10
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

New born... I wish. My daughter is 1 next month and she still won't sleep through every night. She was awake 3 times last night. In the end I turned the monitor off and shut all the doors to drown out the noise as I'd tried everything else.

Our eldest isn't much better. He likes to get up and run about in the middle of the night. I've not had a decent nights sleep in 3 years now. It gets to you sometimes but in general you just learn to cope.

PS. don't fall into the white noise trap. It back fires when the kids are a bit older and you don't want them sleeping so they will sleep at night. You can't do any car journeys or they will go into a deep sleep and keeping them awake is impossible.
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #11
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
6
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m sport coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N Wales

iTrader: (0)

Ahhh. Super jel.

I love HK. Good plan with the getting it all in before bambino's though, they do throw a spanner in the works. It's much easier without them.

I'm a flyertalker through and through though. My 20 month old daughter has done Benidorm, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Singapore (GP), Stockholm, and Dubai. It's far from impossible.

Stunning pics. I never share any of mine, I always think that people will slam me for 'showing off'
__________________
E46 M3 SMG titanium silver, with grey leather. 335d now gone. 2010 Golf estate bluemotion, spec'd up and not nearly as bad as it sounds. VW T5 kombi, with the life specked out of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
New born... I wish. My daughter is 1 next month and she still won't sleep through every night. She was awake 3 times last night. In the end I turned the monitor off and shut all the doors to drown out the noise as I'd tried everything else.

Our eldest isn't much better. He likes to get up and run about in the middle of the night. I've not had a decent nights sleep in 3 years now. It gets to you sometimes but in general you just learn to cope.

PS. don't fall into the white noise trap. It back fires when the kids are a bit older and you don't want them sleeping so they will sleep at night. You can't do any car journeys or they will go into a deep sleep and keeping them awake is impossible.
This is turning into a parenting thread but jeez, that's no fun. I feel your pain. We've got a 5yo, 2yo and 6 week old and it's not as bad as that! And you did the right thing turning off the monitor. You know as well as I do that even at that age they're just trying to get a response and before you know it you've started a bad routine.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
gangzoom
Major
13
Rep
1,208
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i M sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Leicester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
This is turning into a parenting thread but jeez, that's no fun.
Last night I ended up talking about nursery costs etc....than I remembered I don't have any kid yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
I'm a flyertalker through and through though. My 20 month old daughter has done Benidorm, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Singapore (GP), Stockholm, and Dubai. It's far from impossible.

Stunning pics. I never share any of mine, I always think that people will slam me for 'showing off'
Glad to near you can travel to so many places with a kid even when they are small

Have to say its only in the last year or so we've really been building up the air miles, but really loving it. I'm under no illusion that I'm very very lucky regarding my health/job/family to be able to travel so much and see many amazing sights around the world. The only problem for me is the more of the world I see the more I want to travel, which means less funds for others luxuries like cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
mowflow
Colonel
mowflow's Avatar
Scotland
28
Rep
2,433
Posts

 
Drives: F20 125d
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyrado View Post
Ahhh. Super jel.

I love HK. Good plan with the getting it all in before bambino's though, they do throw a spanner in the works. It's much easier without them.

I'm a flyertalker through and through though. My 20 month old daughter has done Benidorm, Istanbul, Hong Kong, Singapore (GP), Stockholm, and Dubai. It's far from impossible.

Stunning pics. I never share any of mine, I always think that people will slam me for 'showing off'
BLOODY SHOW OFF!!!!!
__________________
Daily F20 125d | Alpine white | coral red leather | visibility pack | driver comfort pack | Business pro | black panel display | heated seats | BMW P Black grill
Project Peugeot 205 1.6 GTi | Alpine white | No ABS | No traction control | No power steering... pretty much just a car
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Dannyrado
Lieutenant
6
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m sport coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N Wales

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Have to say its only in the last year or so we've really been building up the air miles, but really loving it.
Oh don't start me. I'm obsessed. I don't think there is a trick I don't know, or a scheme I haven't got some 'miles' in. People just glaze over when I start. I'd have you in First in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
BLOODY SHOW OFF!!!!!
Haha.
__________________
E46 M3 SMG titanium silver, with grey leather. 335d now gone. 2010 Golf estate bluemotion, spec'd up and not nearly as bad as it sounds. VW T5 kombi, with the life specked out of it.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST