E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Would you ever go back to non-luxury brand/car?

06-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #89
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Since when is a 3-series a "luxury" car anyway? Bad enough that half of this board thinks their 335i is some kind of racecar. I guess the other half thinks that their 3-series is some kind of exclusive luxury automobile. This thread is indicative of the mindset that has earned BMW drivers the distinction of being some of the biggest douches on the road. Guess what? I probably saw 5 e90 3-series on the way to work today. And I don't even live in a city with any wealth in it. Get over yourselves.

They are sporty, mid-priced cars that are as common as can be.
Fuck me, took the words right outta my mouth.

German Buick simple as that. All the BS ego, emblem worship, and plain ignorance of the American consumer and their addiction to name brands and the imagined lifestyle that goes with the junk. Empty heads, watching reality tv, consuming to fill that hole in their development where souls and personality should be.

Thinking you can buy class, respect, or culture... None of this applies to them, not talking to them, they will never get it, no big picture, no objectivity, stunted.

'13 TiAg over Coral, 335is | DCT | Prem | L7 | Nav/Idrive | CA | 19" "-------"

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.

Last edited by Revlis; 06-28-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #90
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
nope. i remember a survey of 1 series owners where 80% of the responders thought their car was fwd lol. most bmw drivers are clueless about driver engagement, and i think bmw is starting to cater to that audience now. if you've driven the new 3 series, you can tell its softened up to accommodate badge chasers. i honestly think my brother's manual honda fit is more fun to drive than an f30.

i like my 328i. its got pretty balanced handling and a good steering rack. i've been pretty disappointed with the interior quality but i'm not too worried about it. when the door trim peels, you can see that the plastic underneath is no better than a sub $15k car. that said, i'd definitely consider switching to another car when i'm due for a new one. if its very engaging to drive and at least practical enough to be a dd, that's all i really want. doesnt matter what brand it is. if bmw doesnt retune the eps anytime soon, i prob wont get another bimmer. maybe a used nsx....hmmm....

It's sad but this is where we are at... I think BMW may be in trouble, catering to bloated consumers, they've jumped the shark I think with the BS "lines", "sport" etc.. WTF, no more I get to specify the way I want it? FU BMW, and FU American douche consumer and your mindless label chasing.

A BMW is Just a Car, it doesn't make you smart, handsome, cool, or wealthy. Get over it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #91
electro-house
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Yes, you get used to these cars, they break all the time, the air conditioning works half as good as a Honda, and they are expensive. There are pros and cons, nothing wrong with a Honda, maybe buy one next and get unused to BMW a little bit, then with the money saved pick up an M3 next time around.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #92
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 335i | F30 328i

Sure -- a Honda, Acura, or VW would suit me fine. I miss the simplicity of my Acuras -- bulletproof, reliable, fun to drive, comfortable -- what's not to like? Okay, so today's Acuras are getting fat and ugly, but they still drive really nicely. In the E90 I'm always wondering whether I'm feeling a misfire, and I'm always pissed when I leave the gas pump. Those are two drawbacks to the BMW that I wouldn't mind leaving behind.

A VW gives you a nice interior and that familiar feeling of solid German engineering, although the materials are obviously cheaper than in a BMW. Nothing I couldn't get over.

A corolla or camry -- probably not. Those are a bit too bare bones and utilitarian for my liking.
      06-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #93
Amini77
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: SGM E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
I'd get american muscle or trucks. They're just raw fun.

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:49 AM   #94
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

It could look like a purple dildo, as long as it's fast and handles like it's on rails I couldn't care less who makes it. That was the criteria for my 3 series. The 3 series is a wannabe, new money, overextended, middle manager living in a suburb named 'bordeaux' or 'camdens' car but the N54 is too good to pass up, so case and point here.
      06-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #95
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I'd get american muscle or trucks. They're just raw fun.
I love the new Mustangs, excellent tranny, epic motor, great brakes, great handling... But then I'm looking at a $40k Ford, which just doesn't make sense.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #96
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

Send a message via AIM to N8N Send a message via MSN to N8N Send a message via Yahoo to N8N
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
It could look like a purple dildo, as long as it's fast and handles like it's on rails I couldn't care less who makes it. That was the criteria for my 3 series. The 3 series is a wannabe, new money, overextended, middle manager living in a suburb named 'bordeaux' or 'camdens' car but the N54 is too good to pass up, so case and point here.
LOL don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I actually agree with you, but at the same time I have to admit to have grown very accustomed to and fond of all the bells and whistles. It'd feel like a downgrade to switch to a car without all the gizmos now and despite the fact that that execrable typical German rubberized plastic is shite the interior still looks and feels rather upscale (as long as that shit isn't peeling off.)

However, you're right, if I had to choose between upscale amentites *or* an excellent chassis and drivetrain, I would choose the latter.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #97
paulguma
Bavarian Murder Weapon
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 335i 6MT

Garage List
1999 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No. Can't downgrade
      06-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #98
tony20009
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

As goes buying a daily driver, sure. Indeed, the very instant that the car's handling isn't my first priority after transportation and meeting my mundane requirements, such as having room for groceries and dry cleaning, the first car I will test drive will be a Honda Accord coupe. The truth, for me, is that if I'm not going to demand more driving performance than is needed to carry out everyday chores in typical daytime traffic situations, buying a BMW as my DD is just spending more money to receive nothing that is of any consequence. Is there a feature, other than the handling and power, on the 3er that can't be had on less costly cars? Maybe the HUD, but then I can't see someone insisting on a 3er because of that feature.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #99
KMEninety335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 Monaco Blue 335i xdrive

Garage List
I've only owned an Audi and a BMW and I don't see myself owning anything that isn't German. Just a personal taste thing. Nothing neccessarily wrong with the others that's just how I feel. As others have said, I wouldn't do a corolla or something just because it's too bland and slow even if it is better to maintain (isn't my biggest issue).
2010 E90 335i xdrive | Monaco Blue with Black Interior | All Packages except Sport :/ | Apex EC-7 | Active Autowerke Strut Bar | Roc Euro DCI | Roc Euro Hyperboost DVs | aFe Scoops | BMW Performance Exhaust | BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #100
KidSupreme
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 11' 335i m sport

No! I would just get a pre owned bmw benz etc
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #101
tony20009
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
Since when is a 3-series a "luxury" car anyway?...They are sporty, mid-priced cars that are as common as can be.
The short of it is that I agree that our cars aren't luxury cars; however, I don't agree that it's fair to misrepresent them by calling them mid-priced and dime-a-dozen. I also believe that anyone who buys any car -- and I mean any car -- expecting to get as a result anything other than the specific tangible benefits the car can provide is deluding themselves and will eventually be disappointed.

I've been saying since 1993 that the 3er is not a luxury car, so I can tell you that no matter how often you say it, or how often the 3er is called a called a "compact sport sedan/coupe," folks want to deem it a luxury car. It just plain isn't such a thing. That said, the OP's thread does mention "brand" as well as car, and I would have to say BMW is a luxury brand. It's just that not every car sold under that brand is a luxury car.

I don't know either that I would call any BMW "mid-priced." The average price of a new car in 2012 was roughly $30K. Few, if any, new BMWs make it off the lot at that price. Moreover, some researchers have suggested that the price of a BMW is beyond the reach of most folks having median incomes. ( http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/03/h...age-new-car-p/ )

In an of themselves, those two observations don't make any car or car brand a luxury car/brand, IMO, for price and affordability alone do not make something luxurious. Luxury comes form a certain set of substantive qualities being present, rarity may or may not be one of them.

For example, Frette bed linens are definitely luxurious, and if you've slept on them, you'll know why that is so. A mink coat is luxurious also. However, though both cost more than competing products from other sources, neither the sheets nor the coat is rare. If want either, you'll have no difficulty getting it, yet both are luxurious. It just happens that a 3er is neither rare nor luxurious, and yet it costs more than similar products from many competing suppliers.

There is, of course no denying that when something is rare, it will be expensive, but that alone doesn't make it a luxury, particularly if there's little point to having it instead of a competing "thing," or if there simply is no competing thing, such as may be the case if one has an authentic dinosaur fossil, or a fully articulated giant clam shell decorating one's salt water fish tank. (Although the fish tank as a whole may well be considered a luxury.) And remember, rarity/exclusivity has to be judged at a macro level. For example, every one of my neighbors has at least one piece of original artwork from some famous, top tier artist, be it an old master, an impressionist, a sculptor, modern painter, or whatever. In our little area, that's very common. In the population at large, not so much.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #102
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThEnder View Post
I could never go to a Corolla, Camry, or any sort of mass market transportation appliance.

While I would not enjoy it as much as my BMW, I would be decently happy with something like a WRX, GTi, Focus ST, BRZ/FR-S, etc. No way I can compromise on fun to drive but the luxury trappings could be sacrificed for affordability.
I feel like most will agree with this (and I do). I really could care less about all the stuff that makes the 'luxury' brand 'luxury' - there's a lot of attention to detail and little niceties, but 1. non-luxury brands are adding that sort of thing in, and 2. luxury brands are scrapping some of it. Maybe one of the nicest things is the refinement and feel, and I know personally that can be had in other cars (specifically the GTI).

Bottom line, I want a car that's fun to drive and has enough power to not be annoying. All the cars mentioned have that, and I've seriously considered all of them.
      06-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #103
tony20009
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

What kind of car is that? I don't know what kind of car that is, but it looks nice. Based on the looks alone, I can say I would consider it an alternative to a 6GC. The two look similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintor View Post
It is about perception. Some mainstreamers look as good and stylish as 3-series.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #104
Hoooper
Major
Rep

Drives: 335D

Aside from the "luxury" options in i-drive my 2002 Maxima had more luxury options than this car as well as a WAY better climate control system, and its very nearly fully loaded. The real question is whether I would step up to a luxury car, "down" to a strictly sports car or stay with this mixture of both.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:54 AM   #105
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Yes. And I did. I had two A4's and a MB before getting my Mazdaspeed 3. I liked my
MS3 better than any of them. My wife and I would fight to drive that car over the others.

I'm not looking for "luxury" when I purchase a car; I'm looking for the fun to drive factor. In this case, my 335 is a blast to drive, and had more room for my kids than my MS3. It just happens that my BMW may be considers luxury. If Toyota made a car as fun and roomy as my 3, I'd buy it

-c
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
What kind of car is that? I don't know what kind of car that is, but it looks nice. Based on the looks alone, I can say I would consider it an alternative to a 6GC. The two look similar to me.

I nearly bought a Speed3. I'd still seriously consider one for my next car, I think. Dat torque steer, though.

Pictured is a new Mazda 6 - holy crap they look great. Just AWESOME styling. Aggressive, flowy, really one of the most impressive non-luxury designs I've seen lately besides the newest Fusions (which I also love). My neighbor just bought one, I'm legitimately a little jealous. MSRP starts at like 22k, too - for the price, the only reason I wouldn't go out and buy one now is the power, just a little on the low end for what I want.

That and it's a bit bigger, 5-series size. But that's eh.
      06-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #106
JacobPoogs
Rep

Drives: 09 335i Coupe

i cant stand looking at a toyota let alone drive one...Ill keep my bimmer
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #107
JacobPoogs
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidSupreme View Post
No! I would just get a pre owned bmw benz etc
Amen
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #108
hardtothepaint
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I agree with some of the posters here... Luxury entails a sense of rarity, sophistication and elegance. BMW 3 series is really a common car in the Cities or densely populated areas. Reason being is that even if the price of the car is 40 000 +, majority of people living in cities where the average price of the house may be 500, 000 $, probably can afford these cars. So with this view in mind, one can argue that 3 series really may not be a luxury as it is the standard across the city. However, this story really doesn't hold in other areas. I'm sure where the prices of food, housing, or any other amenities is low or cheap, a BMW 3 series would be considered to be a luxury car because it is rare. So it really all depends on where you're coming from.

I personally do think that my BMW 3 series is a luxury car. Why? well I actually ended up going to a posh neighbourhood by accident in my city and when i was getting out of that area, many home owners as well as people driving by stared hardcore at me. In fact, some of them even waved at me while I drove by thinking I was a residence living there. So clearly the 3 series is something special (and i drive an 08 3 series). It may just be the badge that gives the BMW this luxury feel.

Would I ever downgrade? Hard to say... I would never want to make a non-premium brand car as a daily driver, but if i had to (and when i say HAD to i mean dire consequences, the world is about to end) I would. I would like to have a non premium brand car for me to go to certain places like to the grocery store or the local walmart without having to worry about some idiot banging into my car or something. It saves a lot of gas money at the end of the day. If i were to do this, i'd like to get a non premium brand car that has some of the features that my luxury car has and provides me with a similar level of comfort or pride (i.e the new honda accord)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #109
shadow191
Major
Rep

Drives: '07 E92 335i / '07 Infiniti FX

I absolutely could go back to a non luxury car. Until you get into the flagship cars like 7 series, S class, A8's, there aren't too many features that "luxury" cars offer that you can't get in a Honda/Toyota/Ford. Then again, a Hyundai Equus offers you anything that an S class does.

The lines these days are so blurred between "luxury" and non. Anyone who feels thinks that driving a BMW/Benz/Audi is special is delusional.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #110
JacobPoogs
Rep

Idk about anyone else, but i actually enjoy driving, the only reason that i can get up and go to school in the morning is because i look forward to being able to drive my car, if i had to step into a corolla every morning i would probably kill myself. I dont give a fuck about efficiency and reliability, I want a car that is fast and handles great. The only reason that toyotas and hondas last so long is because they dont go fast, and the boring people that drive them (excluding certain models such as the s2k) dont push the car to its limits and have some fun with it. So yeah if my name was boring Joe and i wanted a vehicle that strictly gets me from one place to another then yeah i would get a Honda, but fuck reliability i wanna go fast.
Appreciate 0