E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > ATTN: All N54 Owners DFW Owner Needs Help

06-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Disguistede90owner

Drives: e90

ATTN: All N54 Owners DFW Owner Needs Help

Ok guys hereís whatís has gone down.

I decided to buy a second car to reward myself for starting a business 3 years ago in a down economy and making it happen. I spent 12 months looking for a car granted I was looking at everything. c5z, c6, evo, e90, e92 ETC.

I live in Arlington, TX and I wanted a CPO car. I found one and I bought it; itís a 2008 e90 Alpine White with Black Interior, Sport and Premium Package with 44k miles CPO with Maintenance Package.

I bought it at the beginning of April 2013. I scheduled a service appointment at Moritz BMW in Arlington, TX. They didnít have a loaner car for 2 weeks so I scheduled it two weeks out. I asked them to look at the following issues:
1) I experienced a few slow starts and one rough start. I asked them to look at the HPFP.
2) The gas tank gauge read about 2/3 full when it was completely full.
3) I asked for a quote for paintless dent repair
4) I also heard the wastegate rattle a few times.

They kept the car for about 4-5 days and I really thought my SA was trying to help me and get it fixed.
1) They experienced no rough starts etc. ok fine thanks for trying.
2) They said the right side tank assembly needed to be removed and replace a sensor causing the fuel gauge issue. Sounds good!
3)$780 quote for dent repair come on guys thatís just too high
4) They said the wastegates didnít make noise I said ok

So I pick the car up. Porter brings it around I get in it and it throws a code for the gas cap. I tighten it and it goes away and I leave. Over the next 7-10 days the car was running good but I kept getting gas cap error. So I was thinking the gas cap was bad. I kept driving it and it ran good and seemed to use no fuel even though I was driving it hard. After about 10 days I am driving it to run some errands mid day. I was still on the same tank of gas; it dies in the middle of the road and wont start. It reads half tank of gas. So I was thinking HPFP. It happened to die right next to an Indy BMW shop Danny Norwood. I decided to have them take a look at it. I was really questioning moritz's work. I smelled gas when I got into it and just chalked it up to having gas cans in the garage, but the gas cap thing bothered me. So Dannyís guys take a look at it. They call me later in the day and start asking me who has been working on the car, I tell them moritz. Then I get some odd information; and I decided to drive up to take a look at the car. Here is what they found:

1) The vapor line was disconnected. Moritz left it disconnected. Light bulb goes off, thatís where the smell was coming from.
2) The right side of the gas tank assembly was broken into two parts and float was stuck up. So the car said 50% fuel because one side was at 0 and the other read full and the car averages the two. They broke the right side assembly? Really? WTF.
3) This is where I get mad; the left side fuel assembly is FUBAR'D. The quick disconnect on the fuel line coming off the LPFP is broken. So the guys at Moritz shoved it on the nipple and zip tied it. Yeah thatís right they zip tied it. Danny's guys said that I should not drive the car.

I leave Dannyís and call moritz I ask to speak to the general manager. I leave a voicemail for him to call me. The next day I havenít heard from him. I call back same routine. On day 3 I call again this time I tell the receptionist to go find him. Of course I get the run around. Day 4 I call up and I tell the receptionist that if the general manager cant take his thumb out of his A$$ and call me back I am going to knock on his door at his home and start bothering him there, and I read off his address. Day 5 the service manager calls. The first thing I say is I see you guys canít follow directions. He tells me he has a recording of me threatening the gm and that he bets the cops would like to hear that. I explain to him the cops donít give a sh*t unless I threaten his life. He then tells me to bring the car back in and they will fix it. I told him no its going somewhere else.

Day 6 I have the car towed to bmw of Dallas. I explain the situation; they say ok we will get it done. John Berry tells me to order the tires and he will but them on align the car and road force the tires for $230 ish. About 4-5 days go by and I get no communication from John Berry at BMW of Dallas and I have confirmation the tires have arrived. I call him and he says ohh moritz doesnít want to pay etc. I ask if the tires are on he says no I havenít seen them. I inform him they are there he says ok we will get the tires done the alignment done and fix the fuel line and the right side tank assembly. He tells me Moritz will just have to pay them later. I say great I just want my car back.

On day 8 I still donít have a phone call from john berry. I call him again and he starts back with well moritz wont pay to drain your gas tank etc. He tells me they want 2 shop hours to drain the tank ($400). I ask why are you charging 2 hours for something that takes 8 mins with a syphon hose? I get more BS and he says let me talk to the SM and get it done for you.

2-3 days go by and I donít get a call on my car. I call john back. He says they are waiting on a part. Finally 2 days later he emails me the car is ready and itís a Friday. I go over there to get it about 4:45pm. I pay and they bring the car around. I get in then I get out and look at the tires. Now I am not happy. My car hasnít been aligned and the new tires have NOT been installed. I go back and get john, he sends the car back and I wait 1 hour. At that point a sales guy starts talking to me and walking me around the giant parking garage. When we get done I ask him to take me to the service bay. He does and I walk up to the car and the guys are done with the first two tire installs. I watch him for a min and he isnít road forcing my tires. I tell him to road force them, he argues with me its not on the ticket. I get john and he tells him to road force them. I get the car at 7pm closing time and I head home. The car was aligned for sure. On the way home it throws 2-3 codes goes into limp mode. When I get home I look at the wheels and tires and they didnít road force them. I know this because the old weights where still on the tires. And the limp mode problem is because a diverter value wasnít secured? But I didnít know why the DSC light was coming on.

Next day I call john berry I tell him the cars not right. He says bring it back. I bring it back the next week on Monday. He doesnít setup the apt in the system so I get a Chrysler 200 from enterprise. What a POS. They take the car and say they are going to road force the tires and look at the computer codes.

Couple days later I get a quote to replace all my vac lines ($1200) and the rear tail lamp assembly. I tell them to clear the codes and give me the car back. I go pick it up 2 days later this time I tell the cashier I am not paying till I see the car. They pull it around and I start looking at it. Again the old weights are still on the tires they didnít road force them. Seriously? Now I have a tail light bulb malfunction, tires still arenít right, and they claim and vac line is collapsed.

At this point I have had enough, john comes out and I show him the issues. He calls the tech up. I start talking to him about the tires he says ohm I didnít do that. I was like what the hell I didnít have a tail lamp problem till you guys messed with my car. He claims thereís corrosion on the contacts, so I pulled it out in the service bay no corrosion. The tech messes with it to "show me" plugs it back in and one bulb quit working. They put a new one in and the light goes off. Now we move the vac line. On the passenger side of the car thereís one line that has a problem the tech says. I look at it and I see all the lines on the car are perfect except on that looks messed up. I start examining it and tell him the car wasnít like that before you messed with it. The heat shield around the line was frayed and ripped and I could feel the groves from a saw blade in the rubber of the vac line and it looked like a saw blade caught the shielding and frayed it. I tell them they have to fix it.

I leave and come back the next morning and talk with the service manager. They agree to fix the vac line and road force the tires again, and check the codes in the computer.

At this point I wrote the worst review possible on my survey.

Then the service manager calls Mr. Garcia; he says he is taking over. He is on it at this point I get phone calls and updates. He tells me vac line is fixed and tires are road forced and they donít know what the computer in my car is doing. They said I threw and odd code. They opened a puma case. So it sat for a few more days then the diagnosis was it was an anomaly, they cleared everything and said the car was ready. I didnít like this one bit I wanted the DME replaced because I didnít want to come back. BMW NA said no and BMW Dallas said no. I said ok then.

I go to pick up my car of course Mr. Garcia has gone home its 5:30 pm. They bring the car up with no charge ticket, how nice of them. I look at the car and they fixed the one wheel with the old weights and they bent the lip of the wheel. I show john berry he says he wasnít involved with my ticket, and he takes a pic and emails Garcia. The next day I get no call by 1pm. I call Garcia he says john should have called me. Then I get a call from john and they want to valet my car over for me, which was a nice gesture. I call Garcia and tell him no, I donít want a fixed wheel bc it wont be straight and true again after repair. I told him to send me a new wheel and discount tire will put it on.

2 more days pass Marty the customer relationís manager calls and I tell him I want a wheel and a tail light assembly. He says he will work on it.

Another day passes I get no call at 4 pm I start calling. John berry, Marty and Garcia. No one answers no one calls back.

Finally after I call BMWNA and complain, Garcia calls and tells me yesterday that a new wheel is being shipped to my house and he would like to invite me to have my car serviced somewhere else because they cant satisfy me. I tell him all you have to do is do the work. You guys canít seem to do it. Not to mention discount tire looked at the tires and they were not road forced out. The call ends and I am waiting for my wheel. And I guess I am up a creek about the tail lamp assembly they broke.

So here's what I want from my brothers on e90 post:

I want to stage a protest just like in the 60's. On Saturday June 29th I want a crowd of bmw owners to meet me at the 7-11 off lemon ave in Dallas, TX at 8 am. We are going to form a line and block cars from going into BMW of Dallas from 9am till the cops kick us out. I am going to get a protest permit so they canít really do anything. How many followers do I have that will help me teach BMW of Dallas a lesson? You can contact me at crgafford@gmail.com.
      06-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
yarviinn
Captain

Drives: E9TT3

Send a message via AIM to yarviinn
Hate to burst your rant but...

Also...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disguistede90owner View Post

So here's what I want from my brothers on e90 post:

I want to stage a protest just like in the 60's. On Saturday June 29th I want a crowd of bmw owners to meet me at the 7-11 off lemon ave in Dallas, TX at 8 am. We are going to form a line and block cars from going into BMW of Dallas from 9am till the cops kick us out. I am going to get a protest permit so they can’t really do anything. How many followers do I have that will help me teach BMW of Dallas a lesson? You can contact me at crgafford@gmail.com.

Seriously, my advice would be to explain your situation to BMWNA...
      06-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
AndyR83
Major

Drives: E92 335i FBO

I was completely on your side right up until the last paragraph. You seem to be a person that is willing to open his mouth and demand that things are made right. Why resort to silly antics that just make you look childish rather than continue to push the issue and escalate?
      06-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
TexasToast
Private

Drives: '10 335i

What a crappy experience. I drove past a guy doing the same thing you are talking about doing. Every morning for a month this guy was outside the dealership with his giant sign! The dealership lost a buncha money.
      06-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Disguistede90owner

Th point is these guys blow and people should know. I really just want the name of a SA that is able to compete tasks.
      06-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Disguistede90owner

FYI bmwna knows I have called 4 times.
      06-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
fazman
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335 e90

I think a one man protest is better then a bunch of people. Because passers by WILL read one sign... but probably ignore a mob of signs. Just make sure your sign ends with "...Ask me how i know?" so people might come up to you on the street and ask you! :P

Have print outs of your story to give to people as well... maybe it will help them consider if they want to do biz with them???
fazman is offline   United_States
      06-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
DarkE92

Drives: Debating

That sucks man. I think you should have taken them up on there offer of having your car fixed somewhere else. I would of told them to send it to the Indy BMW you broke down in front of. I hope everything works out soon, as I know this is a frustrating situation to be in.
      06-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
I feel your pain. It is really difficult to find a good dealer anywhere and BMWNA sucks.

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      06-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
cultr3
Private

Drives: E92 335

Hate to say this but it seems there's more than what's said here. Bad experience at one BMW dealership, maybe, but being asked not to come back from two dealerships in a row might have something to do with you?...

If these dealerships were really completely inept as you described, they would be out of business by themselves rather than you having to organize a silly protest, or threatening other people's home and family...
      06-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
JAL0988
Major

Drives: e92 335i xdrive

Jesus Christ that's a nightmare. Thank God for Dealerships like Rallye BMW. They make shit right and don't mind my mods
      06-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
pratan158
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

I would just shoot them lol Jk but I'd be really really mad
pratan158 is offline   United_States
      06-20-2013, 01:56 PM   #13
ronny214
New BMW Owner

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i (e90) Black/Tan

Garage List
I'd go to Classic BMW off Tollway and roughly Legacy. They are the only dealership I will take my car to, now. Too many horrible experiences from BMW of Dallas. Ask for Byron at Classic. Great SA.
ronny214 is offline   United_States
      06-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
marshall834
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Makes me appreciate my dealership. Never had any issues and seriously the best experiences of any shop I've ever dealt with. Good luck...

Past:
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
marshall834 is offline   United_States
      06-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
thegamemodo9
Private

Drives: E92 335i, B6 S4, 3000GT, E500

I never had a problem with BMW of Dallas. Had my car serviced there regularly. I will say that people won't care about a protest (most certainly not in mid-summer Texas heat); you getting your story out here is enough.

My advice is to just let it go and not to take your car there anymore. Go 5 minutes down the street to Autoscope and and ask for Carson. Believe me, you and your car will be thankful.
      06-20-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
jeffro535
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 E92 335i, 1997 E36 328is

wow...I'm moving there and was wondering which dealer I should go to. Well scratch these two off the list.
jeffro535 is offline   United_States
      06-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #17
walmark
Apprentice

Drives: 335i e93 '08 sport

Can't help you guys from NoVa, but I'd say do it. One great thing that could happen is if media shows up (btw, someone should give them a note). If they make a stink in a local newspaper or local TV station by interviewing some of the unhappy customers (I'm sure the dealership will have "no comment" at that time), BMWNA might have to respond somehow.

Good luck!
      06-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
georgelb
nsomneeak

Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/17094688/saul-garza
georgelb is offline   United_States
      06-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
gdub
Private First Class

Drives: none

before you get the media involved, contact the BBB. I got screwed around by e-carbusiness.com in carrolton when I bought my 135i, contacted the BBB, filed a claim, explained my claim and they did the middle manning. Ended up getting what they originally promised me within a couple of weeks and didn't really have to do much.
      06-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Disguistede90owner

Addition to the report. Discount tire put my new wheel on today. Which was intact a real BMW wheel.

I asked discount tire to road force the tires again because the car didn't seems right. And guess what? Not only did BMW of Dallas bend the right rear wheel they bent the front right wheel on the inside. Discount tire noted my ticket. Back to BMW of Dallas for another wheel and a new tail light bulb assembly.

This is just not right. These tires where installed on 5/7/13.
      06-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #21
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
This is a terrible story...fortunately, I've only dealt with BMW dealerships in Houston, Austin, and now San Antonio and never had any kind of experience like this. It sounds like incompetent techs, but also unconcerned/uninvolved management as well. Hard to believe they'd attempt to do things like this and turn the car back to the owner with such obvious evidence of not having done the work or not having done it properly.

The OP's frustration is well-earned, but what I've learned over quite a few years is that relationships make all the difference, especially between the owner and the dealership staff. That said, these two places would make it very difficult to maintain an amicable attitude. My thought, when faced with this type of service-related problem, has always been to seek out the local TV station's "investigative reporter" to help determine how to get the work done properly. Anyone reading this from Houston will remember Marvin Zindler, who knew how to work with people like the IRS and Social Security as well as car dealers. The last thing any business person wanted to see was Marvin and a camera crew knocking on their door.

Of course, there's also the obvious solution of just selling/trading the car and moving on. The "protest" is going to be bad business for everyone, including the OP, because then, none of the BMW dealers (and possibly independent shops as well) will want to deal with him lest he invoke his protest wrath on them too. The dealership will make note of who participates in the protest and that will kill any relationship those participants might have had or might have in the future. Something to think about, and ponder whether it's worth it.

OP - my recommendation would be to determine what it would take to make you happy (within reason, of course) and present that to the dealership. It could be a refund of anything you paid for that you didn't get or properly fixing your car, etc. Beyond that, the protest won't get your car fixed and it might set you up for future difficulty.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      06-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
Disguistede90owner

The protest thing was a joke. The quality of work done at these two dealers is atrocious. I want a new front wheel and rear tail light bulb assembly. I have called and left a vm for mr. Garcia.