E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Particulate filter



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
yafool
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Particulate filter

I'm going to assume engine air filter? Or fuel?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
44
Rep
2,676
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Huh?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
JP-76
Private First Class
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yafool View Post
I'm going to assume engine air filter? Or fuel?
Particulate filter is particulate filter. What is your question / point???
__________________

335dA Individual MY2007 "LCI", Quaife LSD, power: Enough/ torque: Plenty.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
floydarogers's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,048
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

Perhaps he means Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), which is part of the exhaust system, and contains the filter and oxidation catalyst (as distinct from the SCR catalyst).
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #5
JP-76
Private First Class
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Perhaps he means Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF), which is part of the exhaust system, and contains the filter and oxidation catalyst (as distinct from the SCR catalyst).
Yes, im very aware what the particulate filter is, where it is and what it does. But what is the op:s question...???

Is he having this message in idrive or what??? And is he making a question at all?

Maybe hes just wery fond of particulate filter, fuel filter and air filter...
__________________

335dA Individual MY2007 "LCI", Quaife LSD, power: Enough/ torque: Plenty.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
yafool
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Sorry guys, posted that very quickly at a red light. Yes, particulate filter message popped up on idrive. Ses light followed shortly afterwards and bam! Engine malfunction and limpmode. This all happen within 40 miles of driving out of being at the dealership after being in for 4 weeks for injectors and carbon buildup. Fock.... back at the dealership first thing in the morning
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
FormerRotor
Major
FormerRotor's Avatar
22
Rep
1,466
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yafool View Post
Sorry guys, posted that very quickly at a red light. Yes, particulate filter message popped up on idrive. Ses light followed shortly afterwards and bam! Engine malfunction and limpmode. This all happen within 40 miles of driving out of being at the dealership after being in for 4 weeks for injectors and carbon buildup. Fock.... back at the dealership first thing in the morning
Should be covered by emissions warranty; no worries, buddy. Let us know how everything goes.
__________________

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rican 335d's Avatar
Puerto Rico
37
Rep
2,875
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue 335d
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Puerto Rico

iTrader: (0)

Be careful it can be the DDE gone bad
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
Ron1n
Speed Demon
Ron1n's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
3,248
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
DPF message has come up for me. Generally indicates a clog. Are you experiencing any loss of power, shifting seems different, etc?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
yafool
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

yea, brought the car straight back to the dealer the next morning. Waiting on new now.
The car did go into limp mode and advertised engine malfunction message on idrive.

DDE gone bad is very likely...
I have done the DDE reprogram in the last recall as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,030
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

from my understanding, at a minimum, the DDE and the catalytic converter are covered under the federally mandated 8 yrs/80k miles. Any thoughts on whether the DPF is included in that warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
Quasimodem
Colonel
Quasimodem's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
2,257
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
But isnt the DDE failure being caused by a short in the engine harness?
__________________
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
yafool
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
from my understanding, at a minimum, the DDE and the catalytic converter are covered under the federally mandated 8 yrs/80k miles. Any thoughts on whether the DPF is included in that warranty?
I believe the emissions warranty is until 70k.
The car is at mountainview right now. I would assume dpf is a very important part in the emissions of the car, thus it would be covered.....
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #14
yafool
Private
0
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335d
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
But isnt the DDE failure being caused by a short in the engine harness?
Is there any data to support this? I only found a few cars on this forum that claims this is the case....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #15
Ron1n
Speed Demon
Ron1n's Avatar
United_States
59
Rep
3,248
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335d E90
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The 858

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
from my understanding, at a minimum, the DDE and the catalytic converter are covered under the federally mandated 8 yrs/80k miles. Any thoughts on whether the DPF is included in that warranty?
7/70, not 8/80. And the DPF is covered under said warranty, as it is part of the emissions equipment on the car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #16
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
floydarogers's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
1,048
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bellevue, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
7/70, not 8/80. And the DPF is covered under said warranty, as it is part of the emissions equipment on the car.
It's very confusing. You need to read the warranty info in the book closely.

The California warranty (10 states + California) is 7/70. The FEDERAL emissions warranty is 8/80.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #17
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

hey yafool, how many miles are on your car?
I have a '11 and just rolled over 30k and the engine malfunction message came on with limp mode. sa called said i need a new dpf. the code that came up said turbo underboost. if the dpf is clogged i have an exhaust restriction and my turbos wont spool up properly creating an under boost condition. I highly doubt its the dde, why people start pointing fingers at it I have no idea as a failed dde is a much much smaller chance than anything else emissions related failing on the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
'02onthebrain
Private First Class
2
Rep
189
Posts

 
Drives: '07 335xi; '00 911 C4
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wayne, PA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_planet View Post
hey yafool, how many miles are on your car?
I have a '11 and just rolled over 30k and the engine malfunction message came on with limp mode. sa called said i need a new dpf. the code that came up said turbo underboost. if the dpf is clogged i have an exhaust restriction and my turbos wont spool up properly creating an under boost condition. I highly doubt its the dde, why people start pointing fingers at it I have no idea as a failed dde is a much much smaller chance than anything else emissions related failing on the car.
I needed a new DPF at 20k last fall, all work under warranty. They thought it was the turbos at first but it was the DPF and a back pressure pipe, and a bunch of gaskets that fixed it. I was getting diesel exhaust in the cabin, it was bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
joe_planet
Captain
United_States
10
Rep
709
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 X5d
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: DFW

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by '02onthebrain View Post
I needed a new DPF at 20k last fall, all work under warranty. They thought it was the turbos at first but it was the DPF and a back pressure pipe, and a bunch of gaskets that fixed it. I was getting diesel exhaust in the cabin, it was bad.
damn man, i'm glad they fixed it for you. I just talked to sa he said that pipe is 2.4k
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #20
bdwyer
Enlisted Member
bdwyer's Avatar
0
Rep
49
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335d
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: LI

iTrader: (0)

I've seen videos of people removing and cleaning the DPF with a pressure washer. I wonder how effective this is.
__________________
'11 335d Sport
CCNP, MCITP-EA
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
Hoooper
Major
13
Rep
1,030
Posts

 
Drives: 335D
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Hayward, CA

iTrader: (0)

training people that their emissions components might only last 50k miles is a great way to teach them to ditch their emissions components as quickly as possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
duramax
Private
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 335D
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (0)

What is DDE?

Thanks.

FYI, I am at 18K and had a DEF leak that crystalized. Not related I know.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST