E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Long Road Trip (7200 miles)

06-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #23
f0xfire021
Private

Drives: '09 e91 328xiT | 6mt

First off, no road trip is complete without some unplanned event(s) occurring, regardless of car. Personally, I'd take the BMW, but with the knowledge that breaking down in the sticks might suck that much more, since finding someone to service the car might be that much harder. Get AAA if you're concerned, and spring for the water pump now and call it a day. BMWs are meant to be driven cross country.
      06-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
Clammy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 328i

Threads like this remind me of how happy I am that I never got (or plan to get) married.

If I was in this situation, though, I'd go with the Bimmer all the way.

Cheers!
      06-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Smooth 330i
Captain

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
I been trying to decide with wife if we should take 330i (107k miles) or Jeep compass (37k miles) on this extensive cross country. My wife keeps saying bmw is to risky taking it on long trip like that what you guys think?

Other then coils which I all replaced recently I dont see why 330i cant. Only thing that I need to do soon is replace cooling system components cause they look little heat treated.

I also don't believe in the happy wife happy life shit. Man think differently than women and uneventful tips are boring. I would pick BMW because it so much easier to drive and fatigue will be less. Compass vs BMW ... mule vs. purebred!

Take the car you prefer and end of story. I tell mine you have room for one carry-on and personal bag, everything else you don't need. You'd be amazed how creative they get and they never miss a thing. If you forget something go and buy it, there are shops everywhere.

GL and don't insult Helga again

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
      06-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #26
tony20009
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
OR

Consider being cooped up with the wife in a Jeep Compass for 7,200 miles.... (I'm sure she is an exquisite woman as all of our wives are)

The OP's choice.
Is a Jeep Compass smaller than a 3er? I have no idea to be honest, but you correctly inferred that I gave no consideration to the size of the vehicle. I just figured that something called "Jeep" must have more interior space than a compact sedan. (

I thought the OP just meant Jeep. I thought too that the word "compass" which wasn't capitalized was just an artifact from a sentence the OP was initially going to write, but didn't get fully deleted, and "compass" was just something left behind. I never heard of a vehicle called a Jeep Compass until this thread. Sorry.)

I agree the OP's wife is a lovely lady. I know too that if he takes that 3er on the trip and something untoward occurs, for at least some span of time, she'll seem far less so to the OP. Truthfully, of course, I don't her at all and don't really know how she'd react. The OP does and I'm certain he'll act with her in mind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is online now   United_States
      06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #27
Grendeltouring
Private

Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

I'd vote for the BMW, in all honesty I can't imagine that the Jeep would be that much more reliable - though it probably has a warranty.

I'm contemplating a very similar decision, will likely be driving from Seattle-Boston-Seattle with my daughter and my golden retriever over the summer. 10-year-old daughter really wants to drive, and I don't know how much longer she will be staying stuff like that. My wife and other daughter will be flying.

The three choices are to drive the '11 E91 6MT that now has 30k on it (drove it to FL and back over the winter, was brilliant), drive our new '13 Toyota Sienna with 3k on it, or board the dog and fly. I'm leaning toward the E91, will be much more fun than the Toyota and it's more than enough room for two people and a dog.

Last edited by Grendeltouring; 06-25-2013 at 08:18 PM.
      06-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
Be Awesome 335i
Captain

Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Gentlemen,

The most important part ....

is the rest of your life...

Take the Jeep.

If anything would happen, flat tire, blown engine, cracked windshield... you would never EVER hear the end of it from the wife.

Take the Jeep.

Just not worth a life time of attacks for a two week trip.

Take the Jeep.

ppp
well said!! You are dead on!!
///15% Tint///Shadowline Trim///Piano Black Kidney Grills///JB4 G5 Map5///AFE Pro 5r w/ Scoops///BMS DP,s///BMS Oil Catch Can///ER Chargepipe w/ HKS bov & 2 Meth Bungs///Hamman Carbon Front Lip w/ JG Mods Side Skirt Splitters///BMS LED Angel Eyes///Cobb FMIC///JG Mods Carbon Performance Spoiler///BC Coilovers. Yes......in this order.....
Be Awesome 335i is offline   United_States
      06-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #29
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by shata View Post
I been trying to decide with wife if we should take 330i (107k miles) or Jeep compass (37k miles) on this extensive cross country. My wife keeps saying bmw is to risky taking it on long trip like that what you guys think?

Other then coils which I all replaced recently I dont see why 330i cant. Only thing that I need to do soon is replace cooling system components cause they look little heat treated.
Round trip cross country (NY to CA) is approx. 5,000 miles. Where the hell are you going?! Definitely the Jeep (more room). Also, if it is still under warranty, you can just pull into a dealership and let them fix it for free.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #30
DUI Elite
///M at Heart

Drives: 2006 SGM E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
Gentlemen,

The most important part ....

is the rest of your life...

Take the Jeep.

If anything would happen, flat tire, blown engine, cracked windshield... you would never EVER hear the end of it from the wife.

Take the Jeep.

Just not worth a life time of attacks for a two week trip.

Take the Jeep.

ppp
quote for thread.

and if it does survive with no issues she'll want to take it everytime until something does break.
Rule #1 when you own "The Ultimate Driving Machine". Always have $$$ in "The Automatic Teller Machine"
      06-26-2013, 08:49 AM   #31
ndukyh
The Tanzanian

Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
As much as I'd like to drive it everywhere, I leave the BMW at home for the high mileage trips and rent a car. It's safer at home then driving thousands of miles with all the horrible drivers on the road. I'd take the Jeep.
      06-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
eric@helix

Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Both the BMW and the Compass are machines. Tools to serve you. Take the tool that will best do the job: which will be more comfortable, efficient, and fun to drive. Don't worry about something breaking or getting damaged. It's a car. It can be fixed.

In other words, hit the wide open road in your Bimmer.
eric@helix is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #33
Potty_Pants
Colonel

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric@helix View Post
Both the BMW and the Compass are machines. Tools to serve you. Take the tool that will best do the job: which will be more comfortable, efficient, and fun to drive. Don't worry about something breaking or getting damaged. It's a car. It can be fixed.

In other words, hit the wide open road in your Bimmer.
(with respect)

I'd like to go back to 2007 when I purchased my New E90 335i. 6 months later I drove to FL to get married. I would have preferred to drive the bmw, however the HPFP concerns and the tight timeline would be a problem. We arrived around 9am Friday and had to have all the local paperwork completed and certified prior to the wedding on Sunday. So Any break down would have been bad, very bad (for the car, my health, my money and my marriage).

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Potty_Pants is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
shata
Captain

Drives: 06 330i 6MT-ZPP/ZSP/ZCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Round trip cross country (NY to CA) is approx. 5,000 miles. Where the hell are you going?! Definitely the Jeep (more room). Also, if it is still under warranty, you can just pull into a dealership and let them fix it for free.
Ya its under warranty, VA/MT/WA/ID/CA/NV/VA - Ya its big trip.
      06-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #35
shata
Captain

I take care of jeep just like I do bmw so I dont have question it cant do the trip reliable.

I looked into some rental stuff like some of you mentioned its not bad idea but is it worth 500$ rental not to put 7200miles on jeep.

Worked out $ part:
Jeep: 1050$ in gas

Ford focus : 750$ in gas
Rental: 540$
Total: 1290$

Little over 200$ for no mileage on jeep seems worth it to me.

Last edited by shata; 06-26-2013 at 12:47 PM.
shata is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #36
racermp
Private First Class

Drives: e90 330i 6mt

cooling system and tires are the weekest points. no spare sux, and if u havent' changed water pump then they may go

rental sounds like a good idea. maybe credit card insurance (like amex rental insurance) can also save you some.
      06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #37
shata
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
cooling system and tires are the weekest points. no spare sux, and if u havent' changed water pump then they may go

rental sounds like a good idea. maybe credit card insurance (like amex rental insurance) can also save you some.
Ya I agree, You dont see pump problems on ours from people I talked to on forum till around 140-160k miles. And with INPA setup apparently it will throw code before failure like low pump speed or pressure warning.
      06-26-2013, 01:29 PM   #38
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendeltouring View Post
I... will likely be driving from Seattle-Boston-Seattle with my daughter and my golden retriever over the summer. 10-year-old daughter really wants to drive, and I don't know how much longer she will be staying stuff like that. ...
Hopefully it won't matter how long she says stuff like that. She's too young to drive, so I don't really understand how her wanting to drive plays into it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      06-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
007_e350
Captain

Drives: 335i 2008 <E90>

its not worth the risk being stranded in the middle of nowhere, just take the Jeep (only coz it has 37k miles) - Buy a bmw with roadside and warranty to drive coast to coast, just my 2 cents
007_e350 is offline   United_States
      06-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
islandbimmer
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 e92 SG

Drive in comfort take the bimmer, , everysummer I drive my 99 bmw 323 is half way across Canada and back roundtrip over 3000 miles , the car is closing in on 200k miles . No issues and I drive 22 hours straight only stop for gas , very little driver fatigue in a Bimmer.
      07-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
Grendeltouring
Private

Drives: '11 E91 M-sport/manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Hopefully it won't matter how long she says stuff like that. She's too young to drive, so I don't really understand how her wanting to drive plays into it....
It plays into it because she's actually enthusiastic about taking a drive like that (as opposed to flying) and I'm hopeful that this enthusiasm will continue into the teen years, but I'm not going to bank on that level of enthusiasm when she's older.
      07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #42
Potty_Pants
Colonel

Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

another consideration is road debris...

do you want to have rock chips, and a coating of bugs to clean off your bmw.

bah... let the jeep get beat up.

ppp

p.s. if I wore a hoodie and was looking for prey at a rest stop/restaurant, etc... I'd go after the bmw people first before a jeep.
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Potty_Pants is offline   United_States
      07-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #43
tony20009
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendeltouring View Post
It plays into it because she's actually enthusiastic about taking a drive like that (as opposed to flying) and I'm hopeful that this enthusiasm will continue into the teen years, but I'm not going to bank on that level of enthusiasm when she's older.
I must not have been smug enough in the comment to which you replied. I jokingly suggesting that you were going to let your daughter do the driving. I had hoped that because it's obvious she's too young for that, that you'd see the humor in it. Sorry.

It's great that your child wants to drive across the country with you. Like any parent, I sometimes drove to vacation/outing destinations only for the time with my kids. I fully understand.

I hope you have (or had) a save and fulfilling trip. The time with your family is priceless, so I'm sure you will/did.

07-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #44
ndjenks
Private First Class

Drives: 2006 BMW 330xi 6MT

Take your BMW, it will be a much more comfortable experience. I drove mine to visit colleges, round trip of about 3000 miles (yes, less than your trip) and the car didn't miss a beat! And mine has about 150k on it (2006 330xi). Heck, when I took it, it actually "needed" back brake pads. Like you would do with ANY car, just do an inspection to be sure nothing annoying is gonna happen (check engine oil level (an oil change may be good), coolant level, tire pressures etc.) only because you will be driving the distance that most people drive in half a year in I'm assuming about 2 or so weeks. Your BMW is the Ultimate Driving Machine, use it as such! Leave the compass for getting groceries!