E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Long Road Trip (7200 miles)

07-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #45
NormE91
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Aside from the lifelong teasing you'll get from your wife if you break down... A stranded BMW in certain back-woods areas of the US will illicit little sympathy.

I think of that scene in National Lampoon's Vacation when Chevy Chase has to get the car fixed in the middle of the desert...

Honestly, your rental car analysis sounds pretty good. A few hundred bucks for no wear and tear on either car is a win in my book.
NormE91 is online now   United_States
      07-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #46
krhodes1
Captain

Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post
7200 miles is no joke. i say rent a car and do it! save the miles on both cars!
I never understand this theory. The car you are already paying for is going to depreciate whether you use it or not, you might as well use it. The cost of the 2-week rental would pay for a new waterpump on the BMW...

Having had a Jeep Compass for a week long rental, I say take the BMW. If you want to be safe, change that pump and the hoses first. The $200 in gas saved is a good chunk of the pump too, since it sounds like the OP is a a DIY sort of guy.