E90Post
 


 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i Upgrades?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-26-2013, 10:50 PM   #1
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
335i Upgrades?

Looking to do some maintenance/upgrades to my newly purchased 07 335i. Car is automatic with 31K miles.

What do you recommend for a nice affordable intercooler and blow off valve? Is it worth it to upgrade my intercooler yet? What benefits exactly will I get by purchasing a $1,000 intercooler and $500-600 blow off valve?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
MRVBC
Enlisted Member
United_States
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E92
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Hey man, congrats on your new ride. Do yourself a favor and do a search... There is a lot of information here so be prepared to read a lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25
Rep
2,172
Posts

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (3)

Obviously you want to do it right and save some money while doing it. So do yourself a favor and call VRSF and do the DP and FMIC, then get an ER CP and with FORGE DVs. Nice set of DCI's or AFE Stage II Pro would go well with that setup. Then tune the shit out of it with COBB PRO Tune. If you really want to make some power, get the HFS4 from Aquamist. But that's just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
Obviously you want to do it right and save some money while doing it. So do yourself a favor and call VRSF and do the DP and FMIC, then get an ER CP and with FORGE DVs. Nice set of DCI's or AFE Stage II Pro would go well with that setup. Then tune the shit out of it with COBB PRO Tune. If you really want to make some power, get the HFS4 from Aquamist. But that's just my opinion.

I just want an upgrade from the stock intercooler so I can do the blow off valve upgrade, not gonna do anything crazy, maybe a JB4 juicebox down the road.


Can I do an aFe Intake instead of the intercooler and just do an active autowerke blow off valve? Is this safe?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,339
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrago1926 View Post
I just want an upgrade from the stock intercooler so I can do the blow off valve upgrade, not gonna do anything crazy, maybe a JB4 juicebox down the road.


Can I do an aFe Intake instead of the intercooler and just do an active autowerke blow off valve? Is this safe?
On this platform you don't need an intercooler to get a BOV.

You can buy a "charge pipe" (Upper) with BOV. We prefer to recommend the Evolution Racewerks.

The BOV you choose is up to you. We recommend the Tial.

We have a laundry list of intercoolers. The most popular are the ETS and VRSF lately.

If you need any more help I've owned this car myself and we only sell parts that we would put on our personal cars and I'm very familiar with them and this platform.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #6
sickem
Freude am fahren
sickem's Avatar
25
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
On this platform you don't need an intercooler to get a BOV.

You can buy a "charge pipe" (Upper) with BOV. We prefer to recommend the Evolution Racewerks.

The BOV you choose is up to you. We recommend the Tial.

We have a laundry list of intercoolers. The most popular are the ETS and VRSF lately.

If you need any more help I've owned this car myself and we only sell parts that we would put on our personal cars and I'm very familiar with them and this platform.
^^this. definitely don't spend $500+ on an FMIC just to get a blow off valve. While it would give some gain in performance, you won't really need to upgrade the intercooler until you tune the vehicle. Then it matters. Congrats on the purchase!
__________________
Cobb E40 PROtune by Jake@PTF/RR catless DPs/aFe DCI/ETS 5" FMIC/ER CP/Forge DVs/Alpina B3 TCU flash/BMW Perf. Exhaust./BMW Performance Style 313s/M-Tech Rear
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
^^this. definitely don't spend $500+ on an FMIC just to get a blow off valve. While it would give some gain in performance, you won't really need to upgrade the intercooler until you tune the vehicle. Then it matters. Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks!

What do you guys think about a cheaper FMIC such as
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/vr7frmoinfmk.html

with the Active Autowerke BOV.

Eventually I want to do the JB4 so if it makes more sense to just do an intercooler rather then spend $340 on the aFe intake why not.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
4doorbmwpower
Captain
4doorbmwpower's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
676
Posts

 
Drives: Montego Blue E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to 4doorbmwpower
as stated before if you ask it almost 100% of the time it has been asked before. However i was a new guy once too so ill let you know my experience. I have had Evolution Racewerks FMIC and Charge pipe with a TIAL blow off valve for upwards of 20k miles. I can say that they are a great team never had any problems with the CP although i did have a few issues when increasing boost with the silicon coupler blowing off under pressure but i have since fixed that with a longer coupler and better tighter fittings. (this is all to no fault of ER) And the IC looks amazing with my M3 front end now that it is all visible with a stock bumper any large FMIC you get will be severely restricted as far as ambient airflow due to where the ducting on the front end is. however i love my beastly huge IC only a little diecutter sawing required i installed it myself and it looks great and performs very well.
__________________
Vargas Stage 2+ Hybrids, JB4 G5, ER CP w/TIAL BOV, RocAuto DCI, ER FMIC, Custom/DO METH KIT w/dual DO10's, AR 3in DPs, HPF Gen2 Catback, RUF281 19s, Stoptech drilled/slotted rotors, M3 rep front bumper. Custom Headlights w/ Plasma Angel Eyes, Custom OC, UUC Tranny Mounts.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
25
Rep
2,172
Posts

 
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portland, OR

iTrader: (3)

OP, the FMIC are so close in comparison it comes down to how much you want to spend and what brand name you want to support.

ER makes one of the best CPs in my opinion just because they use the stock o-rind and c-clip connection.

I've used both piggy back and flash tunes. I know the piggy back especially the JB4 is cheaper, but flash tuning is changing as we speak and eventually depending on how hard the mod bug gets you, you'll end up with a flash tune eventually to support the back end functions that a piggy back can't support. You might want to just get with a tuner and have an open source tune setup on your car. Open Source is just around the corner and if you have any knowledge of tuning, this might be a better option than buying a JB.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
OP, the FMIC are so close in comparison it comes down to how much you want to spend and what brand name you want to support.

ER makes one of the best CPs in my opinion just because they use the stock o-rind and c-clip connection.

I've used both piggy back and flash tunes. I know the piggy back especially the JB4 is cheaper, but flash tuning is changing as we speak and eventually depending on how hard the mod bug gets you, you'll end up with a flash tune eventually to support the back end functions that a piggy back can't support. You might want to just get with a tuner and have an open source tune setup on your car. Open Source is just around the corner and if you have any knowledge of tuning, this might be a better option than buying a JB.

I don't have any knowledge of tuning.

I was going to do the following in the following order:

JB4 JuiceBox $479
VRSF FMIC $419
Active Autowerke BOV $565

I want my car to run smooth (it only has 31K miles) but I also want to increase performance. Would you recommend doing the inter cooler before the juicebox?

Also, I am not looking to spend crazy amount of money nor have the fastest car, just something better sounding and performance wise then stock
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Bought the JB4 JuiceBox with USB cable, and the dual cone intake for $599 shipped from Jeff @ TopGearSolutions! I contacted them earlier through sales about an aFe intake and blow off valve setup. After chatting with Jeff who was more then helpful, I decided to setup my project..

J4 JuiceBox with intake is step #1
Step #2 will be VRSF FMIC
Step #3 will be Active Autowerke BOV
Step #4 will be downpipe/exhaust work
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
deathbunny
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335I
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

You should spend some time reading and understanding the difference between a flash tune like Cobb and the piggybacks like the JB4. The results might be similar but they take different approaches to make their power. I went with a Cobb after reading about them each but the decision should be yours just make sure you understand the differences first. There is tons of info to read through on here. Grats on your purchase and GL with your upgrades!

I got the 5" VRSF installed the other day and it is almost 110 here today and I can tell you it is a huge improvement over the stock IC in this heat. Great unit for the money!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
You should spend some time reading and understanding the difference between a flash tune like Cobb and the piggybacks like the JB4. The results might be similar but they take different approaches to make their power. I went with a Cobb after reading about them each but the decision should be yours just make sure you understand the differences first. There is tons of info to read through on here. Grats on your purchase and GL with your upgrades!

I got the 5" VRSF installed the other day and it is almost 110 here today and I can tell you it is a huge improvement over the stock IC in this heat. Great unit for the money!
Cobb is out of my price range right now even if I wanted it. JB4 will do the perfect job for a cheap upgrade. Cobb will cost me $900 while a JB4 cost me $480.

I am ordering the 7" VRSF for $419 after I get this installed so that is awesome news. What is your big hang up with the JB4?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
deathbunny
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: 08 335I
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Vegas

iTrader: (2)

You can pick up the Cobbs used on here for 650 shipped all the time. I really dont want to start a tuner war by getting into it, the differences between them are plastered all over this site though.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
matty088
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

Why do a fmic before a tune? Bov do nothing for maintenance/performance so not sure why that's on the list.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:48 PM   #16
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
You can pick up the Cobbs used on here for 650 shipped all the time. I really dont want to start a tuner war by getting into it, the differences between them are plastered all over this site though.
In the long run maybe that will be an option for me, for now JB4 works
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #17
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Why do a fmic before a tune? Bov do nothing for maintenance/performance so not sure why that's on the list.
BOV is on the list because it makes the car sound better. I'm not looking for the fastest car, I'm looking to upgrade my stock options in performance and sound.

An intake, intercooler, BOV kit and JB4 kit do exactly that, maybe down the road I'll do exhaust work as well.....

Is a tune recommended before a FMIC?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
matty088
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

Absolutely a tune first then fmic. That's my pt.
For a guy who seems to be on a budget and is not experienced why do a bov from the get go when it's not going to net you a benefit when you can do things right. As in, get a Cobb and a fmic. Then when u have some spare money you can waste it on a bov if you wish. I suggest a Cobb for you bc it's plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Absolutely a tune first then fmic. That's my pt.
For a guy who seems to be on a budget and is not experienced why do a bov from the get go when it's not going to net you a benefit when you can do things right. As in, get a Cobb and a fmic. Then when u have some spare money you can waste it on a bov if you wish. I suggest a Cobb for you bc it's plug and play.
Isn't JB4 plug and play? I already bought the JB4 with the dual cone intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
matty088
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrago1926 View Post
Isn't JB4 plug and play? I already bought the JB4 with the dual cone intake.
Sure but it does require splicing in when a Cobb is simply plugging it in like u would a plug a blender into an outlet. Just trying to keep things simple for u. If u got a jb4 then that decision is made already.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #21
matty088
Private First Class
2
Rep
145
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrago1926 View Post
Isn't JB4 plug and play? I already bought the JB4 with the dual cone intake.
U just posted that you would do a tune "down the road". Now u are saying u already have one? Confused.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #22
JDrago1926
335i Owner
9
Rep
789
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i 4 Door
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty088 View Post
Sure but it does require splicing in when a Cobb is simply plugging it in like u would a plug a blender into an outlet. Just trying to keep things simple for u. If u got a jb4 then that decision is made already.
Cobb Tuning is $900, where could I get a used one for cheaper? I'm not planning to buy a Blow Off Valve for at least a few months and I'm definitely gonna do an FMIC first...
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST