E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > staggered vs sqaure? benifits?

06-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
petelazro
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328xi

staggered vs sqaure? benifits?

Hi guys, what are the benefits of running staggered vs square set up on an XI system? doesn't it come more into play with an RWD car? i am currently running staggered but will probably go square when i get rid of these damn RFT that came with the car.

225/255/17s
      06-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
Nonecure
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335xi E90 LCI

I am running square and plan on going staggered. I don't think there is any true benefit for a XI to run staggered. The RWD cars benefit from the additional traction to help get the power to the ground, but we don't have that problem. As for traction around corners it should be the same for RWD and XI. The more traction in the rear the more pronounced the understeer is. This can be viewed negative and positive. More traction is better to me, but some people don't like the feel of understeer. A square setup will be a little cheaper since you can rotate your tires and the rears might be slightly cheaper.

I personally like the looks of staggered, especially if you can squeeze a bigger tire in the rear like 275's.
      06-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Kalidian
Lieutenant

Drives: AW '09 E90 328xi

There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to running a staggered setup on an AWD car. In fact quite the opposite, it results in many disadvantages - for xi cars it's purely cosmetic.

It's more expensive, makes it impossible to rotate tires, results in slightly more under steering compared to square setups, and wider rear wheels means it'll be heavier, harming performance and mileage. It also makes it a little more complicated since we have to be very mindful of what tire sizes we run.

But goddamn, it looks good so we do it lol.
      06-28-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
ahschell
Private

Drives: 2008 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [2.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
+1

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Positions running 225 in the front and 255 in the back haha it does look great. And I'm excited to have my first non-runflat tires! Anxious to see how it drives.
      06-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
willie55912
Private

Drives: 2011 335 i X-drive M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalidian View Post
There is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to running a staggered setup on an AWD car. In fact quite the opposite, it results in many disadvantages - for xi cars it's purely cosmetic.

It's more expensive, makes it impossible to rotate tires, results in slightly more under steering compared to square setups, and wider rear wheels means it'll be heavier, harming performance and mileage. It also makes it a little more complicated since we have to be very mindful of what tire sizes we run.

Well stated! No advantage at all for the xi. I did go with 245 X 35 X18 with Michelin Super Sports on all 4 with spacers in the back to give it a staggered look. Really changed the handling for the better...except the planted feel going over bumps in a corner...but much much quieter...smoother.