E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Introducing OpenFlash Tablet



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #1035
buster84
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
652
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i E93 & 2007 X5 4.8
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sacramento

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #teambimmer View Post
Shiv is it normal that after flashing i have a awd and dsc malfunction, dbc malfunction, and start off assistance inactive?
Yeah, happens to most of us. After 4 car restarts it will go away.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #1036
TexE90
Banned
2
Rep
135
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i E90
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster84 View Post
Just take a volt meter to the wires, or pins and test it with the key on and off. Then you'll find the 12+ on ignition.
This would be what I'm trying to avoid.

In case anyone is wondering, here's some info:http://www.bmwforums.info/ecu-diagno...e-colours.html

Going to order an extension cable and wire the +12v Batt to the +12v ignition. That way, when I want to do a read/write, I can just unplug the extension and use the original cable only.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #1037
Transport3r
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaad
Transport3r's Avatar
14
Rep
1,206
Posts

 
Drives: N54 E92 & N52 Z4
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne, FL

iTrader: (2)

Any idea when stage 2 and 3 will be out?
__________________
Josh-

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #1038
Msport335
First Lieutenant
Msport335's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington

iTrader: (0)

when will you be coming out with the modified OTS maps you noted a couple pages ago as it seems i'm also getting some throttle closure at random times....

****
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #1039
Ilma
Colonel
29
Rep
2,570
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335 View Post
when will you be coming out with the modified OTS maps you noted a couple pages ago as it seems i'm also getting some throttle closure at random times....

****
Are you manual or automatic?
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #1040
Msport335
First Lieutenant
Msport335's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington

iTrader: (0)

e90 LCI 6AT here
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #1041
Ilma
Colonel
29
Rep
2,570
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335 View Post
e90 LCI 6AT here
Then you are probably experiencing post-shift timing drops.

Known issue with 6AT's.

I thought it was throttle closure too, but when I logged the stage 1 OTF map the the throttle was staying wide open.

However, when shifting from 3rd to 4th......well you can see timing for yourself below
.
.
.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #1042
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
Then you are probably experiencing post-shift timing drops.

Known issue with 6AT's.

I thought it was throttle closure too, but when I logged the stage 1 OTF map the the throttle was staying wide open.

However, when shifting from 3rd to 4th......well you can see timing for yourself below
.
.
.
Hi Ilma-- I think that may be due to running too much boost on pump gas. Remember that you're not running a Stg1 OTS map when you are datalogging with the Procede in map1 or map2. You are running the Stg1 OTS plus 1psi of boost. Which is enough, in most, cases to induce knock retard. Especially post-shift.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:48 AM   #1043
Msport335
First Lieutenant
Msport335's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington

iTrader: (0)

i'm new to all this tuning and have only had my 335 for a couple months.....is it safe to drive with a timing drop like this?

vishnu..... can this be corrected ?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #1044
Msport335
First Lieutenant
Msport335's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington

iTrader: (0)

at the moment i'm just running OTS stage 0 (no procede)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #1045
Ilma
Colonel
29
Rep
2,570
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi Ilma-- I think that may be due to running too much boost on pump gas. Remember that you're not running a Stg1 OTS map when you are datalogging with the Procede in map1 or map2. You are running the Stg1 OTS plus 1psi of boost. Which is enough, in most, cases to induce knock retard. Especially post-shift.
Yes.....correct about the extra boost from the Procede. You can even see it in requested vs actual boost on that log.

Unfortunately, this also happens when I spray meth.

It only occurs when I go full throttle, not part throttle.....and I recall you mentioned that the Procede stack has different throttle management than the flash and I can certainly vouch for that.

But in any case, this is just me experimenting.

The moral of the story is that boost control in the flash is fine and not leading to any throttle closures as was suspected initially.

Would love to know how to adjust the boost/load tables
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:17 PM   #1046
Rombinhood@OpenFlash
Private
8
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cupertino, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake@PTF View Post
It depends on the quality of the open source platform. We are tuners. We will tune with any CAPABLE solution. Not all things released are capable. Some that are released are also copies. We handle those on a case by case basis. The current release of some open source is far from being actually open sourced but that is a topic for another thread and probably one I will not go far into.

For what is available now - without a doubt the extra money is worth spending on the Cobb AP over the "Open Flash Tablet" that is available. I have heard rumors of a real open source project on the horizons that isn't almost a "copy" of other companies products but that is not yet available. For all the people who love the "Open Flash Tablet" and think its the best thing since EFI replaced carburetors - running the AP is just that much better. We will see what the future of true open source holds though and go from there.
Hello Jake,
Glad to see you guys active on these forums. I have admired your work so please don't take what I'm about to say in a negative light. I merely want to clear up some possible confusion caused by your comments above. I posted here because I didn't want to interfere in your thread.

After reading your comments, it appears that you are referring to the OpenFlash Tablet as a "copy" of another capable tuning solution. I'm assuming you are referring to the Cobb AP. While the AP is certainly a capable tuning solution, I'm confused as to why you consider the OpenFlash tablet a copy. Could you elaborate so this can be discussed openly?

Also, I have no doubt that you believe that the Cobb AP is worth the premium price over the OpenFlash Tablet. Everyone will put value on different things. The Cobb AP is a nice compact device with a pleasant form factor. The OpenFlash tablet is larger and doesn't fit in the hand with the same ergonomics. Then again, it's not designed to. However, the OpenFlash Tablet is designed to be an open source mapping device. Please do not confuse this with an open source device. By open source mapping, I mean that it provides full access to the DME rom file. Unlike the Cobb AP, it does not encrypt the DME rom or make it impossible to access tables beyond those defined in ATR. Nor does it allow "pro tuners" to lock their custom tuned maps and make them unreadable by the user. This is the major functional difference between the two devices. However, since the term "open source" (even when describing only mapping) has been a big point of contention among some people, I am no longer using that term for the sake of keeping the peace. Now I'm referring it to as an "open" mapping device.

Again, I don't want to get into an argument about which device/tune perform betters. That's best left up to those who have used both. I think that offering a service that fixes some of the issues that some experience with the Cobb OTS maps is great. Without it, it would leave people a lot less excited about their car. Keep up the good work and I look forward to continuing this discussion with you. If you would like to continue this discussion in "neutral territory" perhaps a new thread could be started?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #1047
Msport335
First Lieutenant
Msport335's Avatar
Canada
5
Rep
398
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i m-sport e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington

iTrader: (0)

Vishnu team,

is there a fix for this timing drop in a 6AT?

my only concern is if i'm able to drive the car still without anything going drastically wrong because of it. are you able to remap stage 0 and 1 to get rid of the timing drop?

any help would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #1048
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msport335 View Post
Vishnu team,

is there a fix for this timing drop in a 6AT?

my only concern is if i'm able to drive the car still without anything going drastically wrong because of it. are you able to remap stage 0 and 1 to get rid of the timing drop?

any help would be much appreciated!
Nothing will go wrong from running the OTS maps. They are quite conservative. The post shift timing drop issue that some 6ATs see from time to time isn't anything to be concerned about if safety is the question. Seems to be an artifact of how the DME targets load and uses timing to adjust actual torque output. Also, be careful to use datalogs taken from Procedes as evidence of post-timing drop. Currently, those using Procedes to datalog their OpenFlash will be running 1psi more boost than they should. Boost will also be controlled differently, especially during the upshift.

Datalogging in Openflash will be enabled very soon. Just working out some small bug fixes with beta testers right now. One enabled, we will provide users with the ability to get custom tuning help for those who want to dial in the OTS tune to their specific car.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #1049
Torgus
Slow.
Torgus's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
1,022
Posts

 
Drives: E90 & E92 with 487 ftlbs of tq
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
One enabled, we will provide users with the ability to get custom tuning help for those who want to dial in the OTS tune to their specific car.

Shiv

Cost?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #1050
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Cost?
We will have an announcement coming soon. For both those who want in-house custom dyno tuning and for those non-local who want datalog analysis and "e-tune" adjustments.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #1051
I6+TT=FTW
Banned
United_States
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi Sedan Jet Black
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Nothing will go wrong from running the OTS maps. They are quite conservative. The post shift timing drop issue that some 6ATs see from time to time isn't anything to be concerned about if safety is the question. Seems to be an artifact of how the DME targets load and uses timing to adjust actual torque output. Also, be careful to use datalogs taken from Procedes as evidence of post-timing drop. Currently, those using Procedes to datalog their OpenFlash will be running 1psi more boost than they should. Boost will also be controlled differently, especially during the upshift.

Datalogging in Openflash will be enabled very soon. Just working out some small bug fixes with beta testers right now. One enabled, we will provide users with the ability to get custom tuning help for those who want to dial in the OTS tune to their specific car.

Shiv
335xi 6AT. Very very very excited about this! I am patiently awaiting this.
I am just expecting to have to dial in the tune for higher elevation (or have I been tricked into thinking this because of the necessity to protune Cobbs OTS maps?)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #1052
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by I6+TT=FTW View Post
335xi 6AT. Very very very excited about this! I am patiently awaiting this.
I am just expecting to have to dial in the tune for higher elevation (or have I been tricked into thinking this because of the necessity to protune Cobbs OTS maps?)
You've been tricked The DME targets airflow which it calculates based upon its barometric pressure sensor. So it's all compensated for internally. The only thing that cannot compensate are the stock turbos which will run out of steam earlier than if you were at sea level. But there is nothing we can do about that

shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #1053
I6+TT=FTW
Banned
United_States
1
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335xi Sedan Jet Black
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Fort Collins, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You've been tricked The DME targets airflow which it calculates based upon its barometric pressure sensor. So it's all compensated for internally. The only thing that cannot compensate are the stock turbos which will run out of steam earlier than if you were at sea level. But there is nothing we can do about that

shiv
Other than buy your upgraded turbo kit

All in time.

That is good news to me. I will be purchasing my tablet and gps mount from best buy lol as the next mod (after a new windshield and rear brakes).

Thank you Shiv.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #1054
Johnny Boost
Major
21
Rep
1,167
Posts

 
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TBD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
You've been tricked The DME targets airflow which it calculates based upon its barometric pressure sensor. So it's all compensated for internally. The only thing that cannot compensate are the stock turbos which will run out of steam earlier than if you were at sea level. But there is nothing we can do about that

shiv
Shiv, do you think it will ever be possible to have an autotuning map for this flash tablet?
__________________
BMS Intake | BMS DP | Cobb AP V3 | E50 Pro Tune by PTF | VRSF CP | Alpina B3 TCU | Custom Coding

LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | M3 Lip Spoiler | 5% tint
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #1055
shiv@vishnu
Tuner
United_States
700
Rep
17,616
Posts

 
Drives: X1, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF Bay, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Boost View Post
Shiv, do you think it will ever be possible to have an autotuning map for this flash tablet?
Some ideas we have will be implemented eventually. Although nothing quite like realtime autotuning since the ROM itself can't be modified on-the-fly like a Procede map. But we do have some things in motion that will make it easier for users to dial in their car with minimal effort or knowledge required.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 05:19 PM   #1056
kolo123
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: chicago area

iTrader: (0)

so its ok to mix some e85 on stage0/1 maps on stock engine?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST