E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water pump goes bye bye

07-04-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
scotty_miller
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 135i msport

Water pump goes bye bye

So I'm driving to Pittsburgh today and my yellow overheating light comes on and right after the red one shows up, I pull over and shut the car off and wait for a tow truck while in the mean time after the engine cools down I popped the hood and coolant is everywhere literally everywhere on the over flow tank and is dripping on the ground. Tow truck guy shows up and takes the cap off my over flow tank and there's still coolant left in it.... So bottom line, did my water pump shit the bed? And is it easy to replace with the right tools and time?
      07-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
E90_boostjunky
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: BMW 335I E90 SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
So I'm driving to Pittsburgh today and my yellow overheating light comes on and right after the red one shows up, I pull over and shut the car off and wait for a tow truck while in the mean time after the engine cools down I popped the hood and coolant is everywhere literally everywhere on the over flow tank and is dripping on the ground. Tow truck guy shows up and takes the cap off my over flow tank and there's still coolant left in it.... So bottom line, did my water pump shit the bed? And is it easy to replace with the right tools and time?
pm me when your ready to replace your waterpump and thermostat. i can hook u up with parts for a good deal. also it takes about 2-4 hours to do depending on experience. i had mine done 2 months ago and paid 220$ in labor at my INDY for both.
      07-04-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
Efthreeoh
Brigadier General

Drives: E90

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your trouble. Yes, the WP went tits up, died. There is extensive discussion on the topic of WP failures and replacement. Search the maintenance section and DIY section you'll find all you need to know. BTW it's not an overflow tank; it is actually the coolant reservoir, which is pressurized and should not be opened when hot (a true overflow tank can be opened when the cooling system is hot). If you are a decent shadetree mechanic and have a good set of tools and regularly work on cars, i.e. tune ups, oil changes and brakes, then you should be able to DIY the WP yourself. If you have changed a water pump on a car before, then you'll find the N52 replacement procedure very simple as there is no belt and gaskets to deal with. Being your car is a xi, it makes it a bit more difficult to get the pump out.
Efthreeoh is online now   United_States
      07-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*

Drives: BMW E9x

I want to change my my when turn the AC on my fan sound so loud people told me is the water pump that is not working like is suppose to...
Quote:
Mr.Rnow is offline   No_Country