E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car Stolen - Alpine White 330d

07-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #67
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Chargingbear, did your car have the BMW security update?
+1 any word on this, hugely important bit of information for all of us
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #68
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

^^^ I guess he stated in the other thread that he had the security update and his car was still taken.
He is negotiating with BMW to cough up the charges for new CAS and keys if they reckon it cannot be coded with the original key in.
      07-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #69
Kuroblack
Private
Rep

Drives: E92 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
^^^ I guess he stated in the other thread that he had the security update and his car was still taken.
He is negotiating with BMW to cough up the charges for new CAS and keys if they reckon it cannot be coded with the original key in.
Thanks - have replied but still a bit confused

If the update does little else but fix windows from dropping a new key and CAS won't be of much comfort. If the update did more that just fix windows, (and affected that CAS as per the PH thread linked to) then that's a different question...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #70
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: F10

You never know that those gangs may have found another way of clonning the key.
It appears that they smashed the window first and did not find the obd port.
Then, apparently the holes in the door of the car was done to push the lock twice to disable the security alarm.
And door was opened to find the obd cable, and clone a key.
Or possibly, they may have used another method of starting the car.

It appears that BMW is useless to make its car safe. Or Apparently all other car manufacturers with the keyless entry including Mercs and Audis.
      07-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #71
chaz_master
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335i E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Silly for me to think this but is it just me to think that there could be a very few select people on here who have registered, inactive (i.e. barely post) and keep an eye on people's cars / threads etc? Then when they think the opportunity is there, go for the loot?

What 'm saying is... does anybody think we have people on here who are keeping a watchful eye on other people's pride&joy?

Be really sad if that were the case......
If you were a thief, wouldn't you?

People who post pictures with their houses and number plates in view are just playing with fire in my opinion.

Really sorry OP, hate seeing this happen to people.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #72
Theivz
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: e91 320d msport business ed

sorry to hear this

absolutely gutting

fingers crossed all goes as smooth as poss for aftermath...
      07-28-2013, 01:38 AM   #73
Shaun69
Private
Rep

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post

People who post pictures with their houses and number plates in view are just playing with fire in my opinion.

Get real guys, most cars are stolen to order and shipped out of the uk.
A pic with some wheels, exhaust and a remap isn't going to increase the chance of it getting stolen. The resale value of mods is poor and I think you're being over cautious.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 04:43 PM   #74
Forbsk
Registered
Rep

Drives: E92 330D

Angry BMW security flaw

What I want to know is has anyone fitted a Clifford / Viper alarm with a separate immobiliser, proximity sensor, glass break, paging system to notify you that tour alarm has been set off and possible blackjax on an E92 as yet?

What other third party solutions are there to counteract this problem. I personally have very little faith in BMW resolving this software flaw. In the end they make money from our misery in selling parts to us if your car is damaged or parts nicked off them.

If this problem happened in the US to this extent I'm sure a class action law suite would have been well on the way!! Comments please.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #75
Robin330i
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E90 330i M Sport

Best security device is a steering wheel disc lock! I have one in the rear footwell which use when I am out and about.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #76
chris_s1
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2012 E92 335d MSport

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz_master View Post

Are you kidding? Why would a thief go to all the trouble of finding a car on a forum, and working out location clues and then tracking it down?
You can stroll into virtually any middle class housing estate in the country and take your pick of 3 series BMWs they aren't hard to find!!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #77
Yoro35i
TROll
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E92 335I M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Are you kidding? Why would a thief go to all the trouble of finding a car on a forum, and working out location clues and then tracking it down?
You can stroll into virtually any middle class housing estate in the country and take your pick of 3 series BMWs they aren't hard to find!!!!
Especially google maps. you can browse the street for nice cars if you know good locations etc etc
MY08 E92 335i M Sport|Wrap by Surrey Project |ETS Intercooler|VSRF Dp's|BMS OCC|BMC filter|CoBB AP|EBC Yellow & Coolcarbons rear|Alpina AT Map|Michelin PSS |CF grills,CF mirror,CF Performace spoiler|LCI light|CIC controller retrofit|2014 Mods: Birds B3 Suspension kit,Project Mu pads,Afe Filter and PTF Protune & Pilot sports cups. Gone:Forged FMIC, Eisenmann Race Quad, Eisenmann Sport Dual, Duke Dynamic Diffuser. Eibach Pro springs.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #78
Broken_Gearbox
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
BMW is only doing updates to 2007-2011 cars.

Cars were being stolen by programming a blank key through the OBD port.

Access could be reached to the OBD port without setting off the proximity alarm.

Many guys moved the port out of reach.

Other cars are affected by the same problem. BMW were just singled out. The internet hysteria was far bigger than the actual amount of cars stolen.

Most of the thefts were concentrated in a few areas too.
There is no proximity alarm on these cars. The sensors are internal.

Sorry to hear about this mate it sucks a nut!
Appreciate 0