E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report @ 97k miles

07-08-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
akotten
Major

Drives: 2007 335xi

Cool Blackstone Laboratories Oil Report @ 97k miles

Just thought I'd share my Blackstone oil report with everyone. I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Spec almost exclusively since I bought the car with 51k miles. My last oil had just over 5k miles on it, with plenty of hard driving, including a two-day HPDE. I figured since my engine is approaching 100k miles, it wouldn't hurt to have an analysis done. The results are superb!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf N54 Oil Report.pdf (21.3 KB, 24 views)
      07-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
135Pats
Can't decide....

Drives: 135i

Always makes me happy to see n54s pushing 100K in good shape. Apples and Oranges, but I just switched to Motul Xcess 5w-40 from OE 5w-30 for the summer months. Ill be sending that off to blackstone once i get through the mileage interval.
135Pats is offline   United_States
      07-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
akotten
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Always makes me happy to see n54s pushing 100K in good shape. Apples and Oranges, but I just switched to Motul Xcess 5w-40 from OE 5w-30 for the summer months. Ill be sending that off to blackstone once i get through the mileage interval.
I agree. I was very happy to see such a good report! Walmart carries my oil for like $22.50/5Qrt. With a report like this, I see no reason what-so-ever to change.
      07-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Szemenyei
First Lieutenant

Drives: Jet Black 335xi

I gotta get one of those reports done.. 335 is currently pushing 118k
      07-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
akotten
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szemenyei View Post
I gotta get one of those reports done.. 335 is currently pushing 118k
It certainly never hurts, but I imagine it'll be a good report as well. I've been using 5k change intervals, just for reference.
      07-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
ErvGotti
Major

Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akotten View Post
I agree. I was very happy to see such a good report! Walmart carries my oil for like $22.50/5Qrt. With a report like this, I see no reason what-so-ever to change.
Glad to see Mobil 1 doing so well after hard usage. I would change mine out with it in between the free changes, but after hearing all the talk about it not being the same as "the old Mobil 1" I was thinking of going to another oil. After seeing this I feel better about staying with Mobil 1 especially at the $22.50 price point at Walmart.
      07-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
akotten
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Glad to see Mobil 1 doing so well after hard usage. I would change mine out with it in between the free changes, but after hearing all the talk about it not being the same as "the old Mobil 1" I was thinking of going to another oil. After seeing this I feel better about staying with Mobil 1 especially at the $22.50 price point at Walmart.
I had always heard that about Mobil 1 too, but I'm a believer that thier "Euro Spec" 0W-40 is a different breed if BMW and Porsche are going to stand behind it.
      07-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Thanks for posting this up. Did you notice any increased consumption when you switched over to the 0w40?

edit: also was there no TBN? Somebody was claiming the Mobil1 0w40 had low TBN after only few k miles.
      07-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
akotten
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Thanks for posting this up. Did you notice any increased consumption when you switched over to the 0w40?

edit: also was there no TBN? Somebody was claiming the Mobil1 0w40 had low TBN after only few k miles.
TBN was an extra $10 I didn't pay for. Maybe next time I will. Oil consumption hasn't changed from what I can tell. It will depend entirely on how hard you push your turbos and how often. I always bring some with to the track in case I need to top it off. My turbos were also replaced 7k miles ago, so that helps too I'm sure.
      07-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
ajsalida
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
TBN was an extra $10 I didn't pay for. Maybe next time I will. Oil consumption hasn't changed from what I can tell. It will depend entirely on how hard you push your turbos and how often. I always bring some with to the track in case I need to top it off. My turbos were also replaced 7k miles ago, so that helps too I'm sure.
I switched to Mobil1 0w40 after approx 30k on factory Castrol. Immediately noticed some oil consumption which had never happened before. About 1/2-3/4 qt in 5k miles. I did add some mods and then DP's in that time, also lowering suspension with change in rake so I am sure sensor reads a little different level now. Hoping my turbos are not going out no other signs though.

Hard to tell exact levels due to lack of a DIPSTICK (amazing) and idiotic sensor that only reads in 1/4 qt increments. But my car lost no (factory) oil from 15k to 30k, now between 3/4 and 1/2 qt of 0w40 in 5k miles.

There is a thread on the other forum lot of people said they also saw increased consumption on 0w40.
      07-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
akotten
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
I switched to Mobil1 0w40 after approx 30k on factory Castrol. Immediately noticed some oil consumption which had never happened before. About 1/2-3/4 qt in 5k miles. I did add some mods and then DP's in that time, also lowering suspension with change in rake so I am sure sensor reads a little different level now. Hoping my turbos are not going out no other signs though.

Hard to tell exact levels due to lack of a DIPSTICK (amazing) and idiotic sensor that only reads in 1/4 qt increments. But my car lost no (factory) oil from 15k to 30k, now between 3/4 and 1/2 qt of 0w40 in 5k miles.

There is a thread on the other forum lot of people said they also saw increased consumption on 0w40.
There are just too many factors to consider when calculating oil consumption. It will vary oil change to oil change too, even with the same oil. The output we get from the sensor doesn't offer enough resolution to accurately define consumption.
      07-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
akotten
Major

For those that argue Mobil 1 0W-40 tends to burn oil, I'd have to disagree. I just finished a 3 day stint of hard driving this weekend and its still reading at Max. Started with an 8hr open track day on Friday (90F out!), and a two day autox Saturday and Sunday. I've been wanting to learn my car better and refine my driving, so I kept the tune factory for the track. Higher boost may induce more oil bypass. Will know more soon, once my OpenFlash tablet shows up.
      07-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Just thought I'd share my Blackstone oil report with everyone. I've been using Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro Spec almost exclusively since I bought the car with 51k miles. My last oil had just over 5k miles on it, with plenty of hard driving, including a two-day HPDE. I figured since my engine is approaching 100k miles, it wouldn't hurt to have an analysis done. The results are superb!
\

Hey Attoken, thanks for sharing this. Its quite timely becuase last week I just got my oil report for my 2007 BMW 335xi. Great coincidence. Your's wouldn't happen be in a red color also would it? At any rate, this is telling because its making me go back to Blackstone and ask more questions about my assesment.

You'll see that my results have much more engine metals in the report. Blackstone says its normal, but you seem to have much less than mine. My 335xi was purchased in March "new-used" with only 16k miles from a reputable BMW dealer with a clean title. Since it only has 17k miles on it at the time of testing, it should have similar results to yours, but it doesn't. I'm sure nothing is wrong. The motor runs beautifully. I just wonder what the descrepancy is. I did go to a track day at Pacific Raceways the day before this sample was taken. I wonder how much that came into play?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Blackstone Labratories - BMW-071013..pdf (88.1 KB, 17 views)
RallyRcrr is offline   United_States
      07-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
FCobra94
Major

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRcrr
Hey Attoken, thanks for sharing this. Its quite timely becuase last week I just got my oil report for my 2007 BMW 335xi. Great coincidence. Your's wouldn't happen be in a red color also would it? At any rate, this is telling because its making me go back to Blackstone and ask more questions about my assesment.

You'll see that my results have much more engine metals in the report. Blackstone says its normal, but you seem to have much less than mine. My 335xi was purchased in March "new-used" with only 16k miles from a reputable BMW dealer with a clean title. Since it only has 17k miles on it at the time of testing, it should have similar results to yours, but it doesn't. I'm sure nothing is wrong. The motor runs beautifully. I just wonder what the descrepancy is. I did go to a track day at Pacific Raceways the day before this sample was taken. I wonder how much that came into play?
Did you not read what Blackstone wrote? Sure, that report would be "normal" for a new car after it's first oil change. That might very well be the only oil change your car has ever seen...did you get the service records from the dealership you bought it from? That information would probably help answer your question...
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
      07-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
quicktwinturbo
First Lieutenant

Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Just out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for the assessment? Also what is typical oil change price at the dealership?>
      07-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
FCobra94
Major

Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo
Just out of curiosity, how much are you guys paying for the assessment? Also what is typical oil change price at the dealership?>
Go to Blackstone's site. It's like ~$30 w/ TBN.
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 15mm rear spacers
      07-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Did you not read what Blackstone wrote? Sure, that report would be "normal" for a new car after it's first oil change. That might very well be the only oil change your car has ever seen...did you get the service records from the dealership you bought it from? That information would probably help answer your question...
Of course I did read what Blackstone wrote. My comments specifically centered around how their statement didn't correlate with the OP's results.

Even though my car has low miles, its still a 2007 and was bought used, with no service records included, so I wanted make sure. The only history is that the vehicle Carfax has stated that it has had several oil changes.
      07-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #18
RallyRcrr
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
My local BMW dealership was asking $80 for synthetic & filter. $120 for a higher performance synthetic & filter. I passed, bought the high performance stuff myself and then did the oil change in my garage for a total of $40.