E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Battery & Water Pump = $2089

07-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #45
ChasVS
Colonel

Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

So in the end, the Battery, Water pump and Thermostat were replaced for a grand total of $1096.15. That's the first non-routine maintenance expense I've had with the car since I bought it as a CPO with extended maintenance plan in 2010. Yeah, I know, I paid up front for maintenance services, but I'd have paid for that either way.
      07-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #46
Denny347
Lieutenant

Drives: SGM 2006 330i

According to Carfax my car had its waterpump/thermostat replaced at 32k mi..long before I bought it. At 86k mi now so I hope it lasts a while.
      07-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
munu
Private First Class

Drives: 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
So in the end, the Battery, Water pump and Thermostat were replaced for a grand total of $1096.15. That's the first non-routine maintenance expense I've had with the car since I bought it as a CPO with extended maintenance plan in 2010. Yeah, I know, I paid up front for maintenance services, but I'd have paid for that either way.
Is it 1096 or over 2K as you mentioned in the OP. Which dealership did you go to?
      07-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #48
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant

Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastaction View Post
yikes! just searched the forums and noticed the WP failure poll thread with milege etc. But I still have hope it was a low battery glitch as another symptom was my oil temp would not come on sometimes as well. Since the battery replacement the oil temp works flawless now. I have driven the car thousands of miles since and no overheat warnings/problems. Need to look into WP failure symptoms, are they electrical(not turning on) failures or internal mechanical(leaking) failures when they go?
I may be wrong, but from what I've read the problem is mechanical. I believe the original WP had a plastic impeller which caused premature failure. It was replaced with a metal one.

When mine died my wife was driving the car on a highway at over 70 mph. She said the yellow warning light came on followed almost immediately by the red one indicating engine overheating. Luckily she was able to get to the shoulder after the engine shut down.

It's a very scary situation to be in and IMHO BMW should have recalled the questionable pumps. Mine was covered under CPO, but others have had to shoulder the cost for the design flaw.
Titanium3er is offline   United_States
      07-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #49
techwhiz
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Mine was covered under CPO about 3 months ago.
techwhiz is offline   United_States
      07-16-2013, 02:06 PM   #50
catcher22
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Please tell us how many miles you had on your car when all this stuff went out...

I'm trying to plan/ballpark when my water pump will go out (I know it's gonna be soon, I smelled coolant the other day after WOT).
      07-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #51
Bago

Drives: Audi

200-300$ for a battery? I've never owned a bmw (mostly cars from VAG group) but I never paid anyone to replace my battery and never paid more than 80-100 for a battery. Btw, sorry offtopic but I have to ask here since I can't open a nw threac: I'm looking at buying 320d advertised as 120kW made in 2008, but judging by wikipedia there weren't any 120kW in 2008 (only 130kW)?
      07-18-2013, 09:15 AM   #52
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Major

Drives: SLOW

Sucks man, but like everyone said I would ask around for a good indy shop in your area and have the car towed over there. All said and done, you may be looking at a half day to a day in down time and even with the tow you will save a lot of money.

Its your call at the end of the day. Idk how the dealers are in FL but when you take your car into dealers up here, they take their sweet ass time no matter how small an issue. I guess in their defense, they have hundreds of cars to deal with on a daily basis (well my dealer at least).

I got my waterpump replaced for $250 plus OEM parts from an indy looking at less than $800 for everything.
BoogeyMan'sBMW is offline   Bangladesh
      07-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #53
BoogeyMan'sBMW
Major

Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Woah, care to explain what happened? Lol after my last post I dug through the last two pages and saw this.

Thats a little more than half the price! Congrats ahaha
BoogeyMan'sBMW is offline   Bangladesh
      07-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #54
EricP3
Private First Class

Drives: 335i coupe

I want an answer to this thread also.
      07-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #55
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Yeap hit 76K miles and pump went, lucky I was 2 miles form home, let the car sit in a parking lot, then picked up later and limped it home. Got an estimate from the Dealer and it came in right around $1200 a local BMW Mechanic with his own shop came in at $860. I ended up doing it myself. There are a number of sources online for parts and you could do all the parts for around $500 to $600. As it turned out in my case my son works part time for a dealer group who owns a BMW dealer and he get a discount on parts at any of their dealerships. I think he gets them at wholesale price, so I beat the above pricing including the fluids as well as doing the oil filter gasket since it was toast.

I read the DIY here and had a pretty good idea what to do. I let my son take it all apart for me, he is 18 end never really worked on something like this and he had it all pulled apart in 1.5 hours. Now it took some time to get it all back together but I was taking my time so not to break anything.

As someone point out, I have to say the BMW was about the easiest car I have worked on besides older muscle cars. I was amaze how easily things came apart and went back together.

If you can work on your own car I would do this job verse paying any dealer to do it, not worth it.

BTW it looks like the battery is also going since I am getting the battery warning, the car is almost 7 yrs old so it is expected. I do not want to pay BMW pricing on the battery, but I am not interested in all the steps you have to go through to teach the car what kind of battery you replaced it with. The Battery should be a simple swap out but BMW made that a complicated process.
      07-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #56
Mr.Rnow
*_*809*_*

Drives: BMW E9x

Quote:
My battery was dying so I had an appointment to bring it in for replacement this morning. Get 3 miles form home and get Overheating Warning and engine starts powering down. I made into an Autozone parking lot where I was able to call AAA and get a tow to my BMW dealer 35 miles away. I was hoping the Overheating waring was just from the battery dying, but I'm told the water pump failed and needs to be replaced. Total $2200 with Tow

So why did this happen 1 month after my CPO Warranty ran out? Damn..
It looks like July is water pump month yesterday I had to cross 4 lines on Nj state parkway to get off the road because overheating and coolant all over the tank had to wait at least 20 minute for the car to cool down to get to the nearest Autozone to put some coolant on and get home and park the car cause im not taking it to the dealer, buying parts and going to a friend soon...... e90 106k miles
Mr.Rnow is offline   No_Country
      07-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #57
Bluesnake01
Private First Class

Drives: 09 335i Sedan, 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
Yeap hit 76K miles and pump went, lucky I was 2 miles form home, let the car sit in a parking lot
Pretty much what happened to me 2 days ago. Sadly though, I didnt have extra coolant, left it at home. It was 11 PM as well so auto parts stores were closed. I let it rest for 15 min, start her up and tried to take it home but once again the signs popped up and I had to turn it off in the middle of the street Good thing it was late at night with no cars coming and tow truck got there under 10 min.

Too bad I wont be able to work on the car till next weekend
      07-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #58
Maestro
Captain

Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnake01 View Post
Pretty much what happened to me 2 days ago. Sadly though, I didnt have extra coolant, left it at home. It was 11 PM as well so auto parts stores were closed. I let it rest for 15 min, start her up and tried to take it home but once again the signs popped up and I had to turn it off in the middle of the street Good thing it was late at night with no cars coming and tow truck got there under 10 min.

Too bad I wont be able to work on the car till next weekend
Coolant would not have help, I was full on coolant when I got the warning. After I swap out all the parts, I notice the water temp sensor is in the thermostat housing which is next to the pump since the pump was not working the temp sensor obviously over heated and limp mode the car. My oil temp was only showing less then 200 since I had just started driving so the engine had not really heated up yet.