E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Special thanks to member snaggletooth aka Alex



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
lkw15
Major
lkw15's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,078
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
2015 M3  [5.00]
1976 BMW 2002  [4.75]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
It's nice to see a thread like this.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
Hierlevelz
Captain
7
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 11 AW E9X M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
I dont, but the basic instructions are the following:

Remove hood cowling, cabin air filter, and two sensors on each side of car.

Remove intake (if stock), then remove engine cover. Locate two braided vacuum hoses routed perpendicular to engine cover, and passing right next to oil filter.

Cut the ends of the old vacuum lines lengthwise approx 3/4 of an inch from the end of the line past the nipple on each side to remove them. Be careful not to cut other lines. Do them one at a time to avoid crossing the lines. Replace them with 3mm turbosmart silicone lines or equivalent.

It took me 20 mins to do today at a leisurely pace. Daunting for beginners, but quite simple if you're used to it.
Are the turbo smart silicone lines more robust and or heat resistant compared to the oem rubber? Thinking about do this as a preventative maintenance a few thousand miles before i hit the 40k mark.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
Rons335i
Private
7
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
Are the turbo smart silicone lines more robust and or heat resistant compared to the oem rubber? Thinking about do this as a preventative maintenance a few thousand miles before i hit the 40k mark.
Yes and yes
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #26
dreamspeed
Major
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Nice!

And that was some awful 800 dollar r@pe the dealer tried to pull
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
22
Rep
1,815
Posts

Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [3.50]
That's awesome. Good man and good story
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue N55 335xi Msport, BMS intake, COBB AP, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF FMIC, ER CP, PE
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #28
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
Snaggletooth's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn View Post
So 3mm vacuum hose? I read in another thread to use 4mm.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=546560&page=5
OEM is 3mm. It honestly won't kill the car if you use 4mm though. I'd recommend sticking with OEM sizes but if that's not possible, it won't make your car combust or die.

aAso, the silicone is more heat resistant and definitely more resilient. I demonstrated to Ron how brittle the old hoses become, they almost become like weak cardboard. You can literally bend them with less force than it takes to break a pencil with and they snap in half. The silicone is a nice upgrade and can serve as engine dress up too if you do with different colored lines.
__________________
'07 E92 335i 6MT
Full Bolt On's, Vargas Stage 2's, Carbon Fiber, and Methanol.

Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-19-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #29
indianras876_bimmer_livin
Don Dadda
United_States
4
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Miami, fl

iTrader: (0)

thats great dude and i actually am having that issue with my car. dnt kno how much they want to charge me tho because i have extended warranty. but like others have said its great to see forum member like that helping each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
Eugeinus
Major
Eugeinus's Avatar
16
Rep
1,137
Posts

Drives: 13' Audi A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: DC/NOVA

iTrader: (9)

+1 to most of the comments here - this is what I enjoy reading on the forums. Enthusiasts helping each other. Can't wait to see the next, "I'm 16 and just got a 335i" thread.
__________________
2010 335i xdrive M sport - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
Deez335xi
Enlisted Member
Deez335xi's Avatar
0
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2013 n55 e92xi
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [4.50]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #32
nvn
Second Lieutenant
nvn's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
226
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oceanside, CA

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
OEM is 3mm. It honestly won't kill the car if you use 4mm though. I'd recommend sticking with OEM sizes but if that's not possible, it won't make your car combust or die.

aAso, the silicone is more heat resistant and definitely more resilient. I demonstrated to Ron how brittle the old hoses become, they almost become like weak cardboard. You can literally bend them with less force than it takes to break a pencil with and they snap in half. The silicone is a nice upgrade and can serve as engine dress up too if you do with different colored lines.
Thanks! Good to know! I'll probably be doing it soon. Working on installing my meth kit this weekend.
__________________
|2007 E92 SGM 335i|
JB4 G5 ISO BMS DCI & OCC VRSF DPs & FMIC Meth+E85 Custom Backend & Alpina TCU flash ER CP RB PCV+Cap
Walbro 255 Rohana RC5 19s Nittos 555 245/275 Cyba Scoops LUX V3 M3 Cowl ST Coils LCI Tails

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
Rons335i
Private
7
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianras876_bimmer_livin View Post
thats great dude and i actually am having that issue with my car. dnt kno how much they want to charge me tho because i have extended warranty. but like others have said its great to see forum member like that helping each other.
Vacuum hoses aren't covered under warranty. I have a cpo
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #34
indianras876_bimmer_livin
Don Dadda
United_States
4
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i coupe
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Miami, fl

iTrader: (0)

o ok but they dnt cost much anyway right? $40-$50 tops?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,666
Posts

Drives: Jet Black F10 535i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Wow what a nice dude! I wonder if he can help me do my oil pan gasket fix of course I'd pay up that's a lot of hours...my mechanic is asking $800 and that's like dealer price.
__________________
instagram: amini77
| Megan Coilovers | Vertini Magic | Toyo Tires | JB4 Stage 2 | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #36
E90Flossin
Vroooomm
2
Rep
196
Posts

Drives: Lci 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Definitely news worthy! Thanks for sharing, we need more people like Alex
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
Snaggletooth's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
Wow what a nice dude! I wonder if he can help me do my oil pan gasket fix of course I'd pay up that's a lot of hours...my mechanic is asking $800 and that's like dealer price.
I'll look into it. Next time I'm down there I could probably figure out if it's a decent DIY job. I think it might be feasible but I needa look into it before I say yes or no 100%
__________________
'07 E92 335i 6MT
Full Bolt On's, Vargas Stage 2's, Carbon Fiber, and Methanol.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #38
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,666
Posts

Drives: Jet Black F10 535i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
I'll look into it. Next time I'm down there I could probably figure out if it's a decent DIY job. I think it might be feasible but I needa look into it before I say yes or no 100%
I figured it shouldn't be too hard either and I'm not sure why he wanted to charge $800, I mean it wouldn't take 8 hours to do right? Anyways that sounds good dude just let me know!!
__________________
instagram: amini77
| Megan Coilovers | Vertini Magic | Toyo Tires | JB4 Stage 2 | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #39
daviddn
Second Lieutenant
daviddn's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 AW
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
I couldn't in good conscience take any payment for what amounted to me chilling with a fellow enthusiast and using some of my leftover parts to get it boosting again. I don't know how dealers sleep at night trying to rape people to the tune of 800 bucks for a simple fix.

Pay it forward, guys!
Member of the year!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #40
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
Snaggletooth's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
277
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I figured it shouldn't be too hard either and I'm not sure why he wanted to charge $800, I mean it wouldn't take 8 hours to do right? Anyways that sounds good dude just let me know!!
I'm sure it's not an 800 dollar job but I wanna make sure I have torque specs and know part numbers and all that. I would hate to dive into a project headfirst on someone else's car only to exhaust my mechanical abilities halfway through the project.


I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be similar to replacing a clutch cover on a bike but I don't wanna maim an oil sensor or pump in the process.
__________________
'07 E92 335i 6MT
Full Bolt On's, Vargas Stage 2's, Carbon Fiber, and Methanol.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:29 AM   #41
Rons335i
Private
7
Rep
70
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anaheim

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianras876_bimmer_livin View Post
o ok but they dnt cost much anyway right? $40-$50 tops?

$20 tops
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:41 AM   #42
Hierlevelz
Captain
7
Rep
635
Posts

Drives: 11 AW E9X M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ENYC

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons335i View Post
This guy went out of his way to help me out and I would just like to give him a personal shout out to the forum.

Long story short

Dealership wanted to charge me $800 to replace vacuum hoses on my 335i

Alex Pm stating that he would do it for me. We met up in Newport and at first I was a little concern because it seemed to good to be true.

Not only did he fix the problem he showed me the basics around the engine bay and refused to take any type of cash from me...

This guy is awesome!!

Thanks once again.
Im amazed that BMW quoted you 800 for a 1hr job at most. Imean labor charges was what 750/hr??
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 12:59 AM   #43
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
48
Rep
3,399
Posts

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Yonkers NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
Im amazed that BMW quoted you 800 for a 1hr job at most. Imean labor charges was what 750/hr??
hum seems right on the money. normal dealership rates
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 03:46 AM   #44
Amini77
Brigadier General
Amini77's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,666
Posts

Drives: Jet Black F10 535i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
I'm sure it's not an 800 dollar job but I wanna make sure I have torque specs and know part numbers and all that. I would hate to dive into a project headfirst on someone else's car only to exhaust my mechanical abilities halfway through the project.


I have a sneaking suspicion it's gonna be similar to replacing a clutch cover on a bike but I don't wanna maim an oil sensor or pump in the process.
Gotcha dude well just hit me up whenever you think you're up for the task and we can get it done together!
__________________
instagram: amini77
| Megan Coilovers | Vertini Magic | Toyo Tires | JB4 Stage 2 | ER Downpipe | ER Chargepipe | AFE Magnum Force Stage 2 |
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:44 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST