E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help Electric Issues

11-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Red Ice BMW
Private

Drives: BMW E92 325D

Help Electric Issues

Hi guys,

I've recently started having some electrical faults and just want to know if anyones had similar and can advise.

About 2-3 months ago when leaving the key in the ignition after a minute or less the battery warning light would come on, then a few weeks ago when unlocking the car the welcome lights (angel eyes) stopped lighting up. Now in the last few days it seems like the rear window demister has stopped working and the climate heaters take an age to heat up compared to a week or two ago. Also the dash lights etc. were set at the brightest level by me and now each time I get in the car they have reset to half way. Its almost like the car is in power save mode.

I've done the battery voltage test and with ignition running I get between 14.2 and 14.9, with ignition off the battery is around 12.5 and 13.5. To me this is normal for the battery.

Any suggestions guys? Going to an auto electrician next week but just thought I'd check of anyones had similar.

Thanks
Red Ice BMW is offline   Scotland
      11-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Red Ice BMW
Private

TTT
      11-08-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

On my '07, similar issues were the result of a bad IBS. Also, was your car subject to last year's cable recall?

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      11-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
Red Ice BMW
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K.
On my '07, similar issues were the result of a bad IBS. Also, was your car subject to last year's cable recall?

Tom
Hi mate, not had any recalls as far as I'm aware. Whats IBS? Is that an expensive cable? Thanks for replying
      11-08-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Just because you are reading voltage on battery does not mean your bettery retains the charge. The reading you are getting is the voltage from alternator which is only showing the charging system is working ok. There should be an eye hole on top of battery which shows condition, what color is it?

Do a load test on your battery and replace. Most likey is your battery if you have not replaced it yet. Good luck!
      11-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice BMW View Post
Hi mate, not had any recalls as far as I'm aware. Whats IBS? Is that an expensive cable? Thanks for replying
The IBS (Intelligent Battery Sensor) is contained within the negative cable and communicates with the alternator to provide the proper charge. It is the reason that a new battery must be "registered" to facilitate that communication.

The recall affected many E9x models in the US and involved the positive cable connection, IIRC. You might check with your dealer to find out if your car was included.

And GoRomeo makes a lot of sense - especially if your battery is more than 5 years old.

Good luck in sorting out your issues.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      11-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
PichaDis11
Captain

Drives: 08 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Just because you are reading voltage on battery does not mean your bettery retains the charge. The reading you are getting is the voltage from alternator which is only showing the charging system is working ok. There should be an eye hole on top of battery which shows condition, what color is it?

Do a load test on your battery and replace. Most likey is your battery if you have not replaced it yet. Good luck!
this +1
PichaDis11 is offline   United_States
      11-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Red Ice BMW
Private

Thanks guys, most likely is the battery then :-(! How do I do the load test, sorry to sound really silly.

Appreciate it, thanks again!
      11-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
GoRomeo
Colonel

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [2.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice BMW View Post
Thanks guys, most likely is the battery then :-(! How do I do the load test, sorry to sound really silly.

Appreciate it, thanks again!
Not sure if in the UK Auto parts stores do a free battery test. If so, take your car there and they can do this for you with a battery load tester.

If you replace your battery make sure its the right one and do the registration and coding if needed. There is a lot of info here about it.

Happy reading!
      11-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Red Ice BMW
Private

Hi all, thanks for the help, replaced the battery and all is well! Now have DPF error :-(