E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Car collision, two ways to get car fixed.

07-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #1
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 BMW E93 335i

Car collision, two ways to get car fixed.

So I was involved in a 'three car incident' this morning. Nothing too serious but obviously annoying and unwanted hassle.
I was the car in front.

The insurance company of the car at the back called me claiming liability.
They have offered me local BMW main dealer repair, comparable courtesy car to drive and a quicker turn around.

Now my insurance company CAN offer me BMW main dealer repair but its much further away but they do have collect and deliver.
I have no legal cover or courtesy car cover but because this is an open and shut case I wont have to pay a thing and they will get me a hire car from enterprise.
Non of this will affect my no claims etc

I'm inclined to go with the other guys insurance companies offer because I'd rather not drive a 1 litre Clio for the rest of the summer.
Has anyone got any experience on what could go wrong with using this offer from another company?
Attached Images

Last edited by TripleBlack; 07-23-2013 at 05:30 AM.
TripleBlack is offline   United Kingdom
      07-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
CustomColours
Banned

Drives: 335i SE

Right so thier insurance company is offering a local main dealer repaire or you company has offered a main dealer repair further away. Whats the difference then?
      07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E91 330D

^^^^

[quote=TripleBlack;14370370]
I have no legal cover or courtesy car cover but because this is an open and shut case I wont have to pay a thing and they will get me a hire car from enterprise.

[quote]
      07-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
djgandy
Major

Drives: E92 335i MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Use their insurance company. Make sure it is all done at the main dealer and that you get a courtesy car you are happy with. The other insurance company is far more likely to look after you as they will want to keep control of costs. They don't want your insurance company racking up a bill then invoicing them

I don't know who you are insured with, but I know when I had an accident my insurance (Admiral) flogged my case off to an accident management company that wanted to charge 50 a day for a hire car etc and add loads of other "losses incurred". When I caught wind of what they were trying to pull I went with the other guys insurance directly and they dealt with everything and kept me very up to date until the work was complete.
      07-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm335i View Post
Right so thier insurance company is offering a local main dealer repaire or you company has offered a main dealer repair further away. Whats the difference then?
Difference is the courtesy car I'm going to be given to drive. Rather drive something closer to what I currently drive now.
Also they're stating that if any injury claims arise it can be dealt with much quick through them than going through my insurance and back to them.
      07-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #6
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgandy View Post
Use their insurance company. Make sure it is all done at the main dealer and that you get a courtesy car you are happy with. The other insurance company is far more likely to look after you as they will want to keep control of costs. They don't want your insurance company racking up a bill then invoicing them

I don't know who you are insured with, but I know when I had an accident my insurance (Admiral) flogged my case off to an accident management company that wanted to charge 50 a day for a hire car etc and add loads of other "losses incurred". When I caught wind of what they were trying to pull I went with the other guys insurance directly and they dealt with everything and kept me very up to date until the work was complete.

Well before finding out that my insurers can possibly send my car to a BMW repair facility, I had dealt with them before. The car was taken to Renault repair facility who returned the car to me with the parking sensors disconnected, the replaced and painted parts already peeling and bubbling and unusual round marks on the body work which I now know to be seagull droppings that was left to settle for weeks and then wipe off on collection day.
Just trying to avoid having to deal with that again but that means taking a risk and going down an unfamiliar path with this other company.
      07-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
q_jonblaze
Captain

Drives: e93

id go with the other insurance...they know what they can and cant get away with and if theyve already accepted liability and all...whats not to like.

just have a clear view on what you expect and get them to agree beforehand. some thing written would be even better and go for it!
      07-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Telly Addict
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2 wheels!

Quote:

+1

I had a similar experience with my last car, I had no end of hassle using my own insurance. Wished I had just gone with the 3rd party's company.
Telly Addict is offline   United Kingdom
      07-23-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
davyk31
Brigadier General

Drives: Audi SQ5 & Golf GTD

Generally I would say you should go with the other party's insurer as it seems more simple BUT if you get a poor job done you are much more likely to be able to complain and get something done via your own insurer as they are your representative.
      07-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
djgandy
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Generally I would say you should go with the other party's insurer as it seems more simple BUT if you get a poor job done you are much more likely to be able to complain and get something done via your own insurer as they are your representative.
You have no more rights with your own insurer. This the classic mistake, thinking that because you are insured with them they are some how on your side and give a shit. Your insurer cares about making money, and the best way it can make money is to try and add fees onto your case for the other insurer. The other insurer will then say this is unreal, those costs are outrageous and you are left in the middle of their little fight, which in my eyes is fraud. It is seriously better to go with the third party. If you are not happy with the work you can continue to insist they fix it and refuse the car until they do.

Just make sure all work is done at a BMW garage and you are happy with it before you drive it way. Before to hand back the hire car go and inspect yours and take plenty of photos. If you are happy, call the hire car people and tell them you are ready to give it back. If you are not happy, talk to BMW first, as they did the work and then to the insurer to inform them what is going on.
      07-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

3rd party insurer has put me through to their prefered car replacement company but didnt say anything about what to do about taking the car to my local BMW.
The car replacement company said they can't arrange a new car until I get a estimate and a date of repair.

Called BMW to arrange this... they've offered me their own car replacement service through another company that now wants to take over the whole process, that wont need my credit card details for the excess and security of the replacement car like the other company....
There seems to be a lot of money grabbing companies here.

Think I may need to back out of this
      07-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #12
Kassim786
Lieutenant

Drives: Bmw 320d (E93) M-sport

Use their insurance company, they are more likely to give you a better experience as it is their client at fault therefor you can argue / negotiate with them much more

Using you're insurance company will only result you in a crap corsa or fiesta

Make sure you mention that you want a "like for like " car to the other parties insurance and also if you have to pay much more on fuel also mention this .... Make sure you're firm with them as they will likely try to put you in a small car
      07-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Everyone, thanks for your advice on this, third party is the way I want to go but it seems like theres going to be a lot of hassle involved in this. So far every company is kissing my ass for this job and warning me why I shouldn't go with another service.
...I'm off to BMW to make eye contact with someone and get an estimate.
      07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
djgandy
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Where you get it repaired is your choice. They cannot force you to use their garage. Get it done at BMW and say you want a like for like car. Do not sign any credit agreements. These are the things used to rack up the costs and then try and force you to go to court to defend why it took 5 months to repair a dent. If you ever heard the word Albany, get the hell out of there immediately!

If the third party is offering to deal with the hire car without too much fuss take their deal. They might have BMW garages in their network of approved repairers too so you wont need a quote in that case. If you take it to a garage of your choice, which you are entitled to do you will have to get a quote prior to the work commencing.

Do a good assessment of damage yourself too. I noticed a very tiny crack on the headlights on mine, and those units don't come cheap. Make sure the garage know about all these little things when you hand it over. Looks like a rear impact so make sure all parking sensors are ok etc...
      07-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
gaza01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 335i

Last summer a lady reversed into my bike and knocked it over whilst it was parked at the gym. As you say it was an open and shut case so her insurers offered to sort my bike out directly. They collected it from my house and dropped it back to me. Even allowed me to pick the garage i wanted to carry out the repairs. It all went smoothly so from that experience Id say let her insurance sort it but just make sure its a main dealer repair which is what they are suggesting anyway
gaza01 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-31-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Well the general consensus showed that going with the third party insurance was the way forward but it now looks like which ever way you go you're going to get substandard service.

A week on from the collision the third party insurer has done nothing but tell its prefered accident support (car hire company) to contact me. They have left contacting BMW for an estimate appointment to me. And haven't provided anything in writing yet as to what I should expect from them.

BMW have been taking the piss themselves trying to pass on my case to their prefered company, 'Accident Exchange' (hire and repair company) on the two separate times that I had to arrange the estimate, even though I gave them explicit instructions to send the estimate to the third party insurer.
8 days on and they still haven't sent me or the insurer the estimate but have again arranged for their 'Accident Exchange' to handle the whole case.
I'm now concerned that BMW themselves wont even touch the car and will outsource the job to someone else... a TW8 9EX postcode keeps being mentioned.

So far I think I've been the only drive in moving this case forward albeit very slowly. I'm quite pissed off with these companies trying to juggle this after the promises they made.

After my latest call the insurer has contacted BMW for the estimate to be "direct texted" to them, what ever that means. If no change by this time tomorrow I'm going to give that estimate chap at BMW a good telling off.
      07-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
ian_m
Private First Class

Drives: e90 330 d

Garage List
http://www.europaconsultants.co.uk/index.php

try these used to be a regular on PH may be still is as its not a site i visit anymore
ian_m is offline   United Kingdom
      08-01-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
djgandy
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I don't see why there is a need for a claims management company. The other side has accepted fault. There is no legal haggling or court case here.

Who are you and the other person insured with?
      08-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #19
zedman
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

Having been in your situation i'd imagine the BM dealer is dragging their heels because accident exchange will give them a commission for you letting them handle your accident and give you a car. Pretty low rent behaviour from a premium dealer. The 2 times I've had to use our local VAG bodyshop its been exactly the same.

'I was thinking sir that to get you a decent size car one of our partner companies could arrange this, far better for you'

'I'm just thinking of you and your transport sir, this will enable us to take the vehicle now and you won't have to come back until the cars fixed'

Money grabbing gits, it's not as if they don't get paid for the repairs.

Can you try another dealer?
      08-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #20
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_m View Post
http://www.europaconsultants.co.uk/index.php

try these used to be a regular on PH may be still is as its not a site i visit anymore
Sorry, I didnt realise there were replies here.
If things had kept going south I would have had another company in mind. They're well known, small and local, so I think it I'd get good and fast service from them.

Quote:
I don't see why there is a need for a claims management company. The other side has accepted fault. There is no legal haggling or court case here.

Who are you and the other person insured with?
I'm with swiftcover and the other involved company is Allianz I believe.
So far I've been in contact with 6 companies and just had to deal with another 3 on the personal injury side of things.
But its all moving forward now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
Having been in your situation i'd imagine the BM dealer is dragging their heels because accident exchange will give them a commission for you letting them handle your accident and give you a car. Pretty low rent behaviour from a premium dealer. The 2 times I've had to use our local VAG bodyshop its been exactly the same.

'I was thinking sir that to get you a decent size car one of our partner companies could arrange this, far better for you'

'I'm just thinking of you and your transport sir, this will enable us to take the vehicle now and you won't have to come back until the cars fixed'

Money grabbing gits, it's not as if they don't get paid for the repairs.

Can you try another dealer?
That is EXACTLY what was going on, and I'm very disappointed by it, even after going there and making contact with someone; to still be fobbed off by BMW was annoying at the least.

Numerous calls and they still hadn't even processed my estimate for the third party insurer after 12+ days.

And your quotes were on point. They did very well at selling 'accident exchange's' services to me. Would have gone for it if the insurer hadn't intervened when I informed them.

I'm glad I go to an indy instead of the dealership for servicing.
      08-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #21
TripleBlack
First Lieutenant

So 16 days on from the collision, numerous phone calls back and forth.
It looks like my car will be going in and I'll be getting a hire car.

I was given a choice between a BMW 5 series, Mercedes E220 or a Mercedes SLK350 convertible, all 2012 models.
The E220 is no where near my thing, and BMW would have been nice but it lost out when I googled what an SLK looks like
      08-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #22
djgandy
Major

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I dealt with Allianz before as another persons insurer. They were very good and have BMW garages in their approved repairer list. If you don't accept a garage they use though you would have to get a quote.

Glad you are finally getting somewhere though!