E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Stingray vs 911s



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
pgviper
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: G37s Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long Island

Posts: 281
iTrader: (0)

Stingray vs 911s

Not sure if anyone posted this but here is a 911 Carrera S vs 2014 Stingray track comparison done by Edmunds.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...rack-test.html
pgviper is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,597
iTrader: (0)

Lets be honest. The new Corvette is a better car than the 911.

The only reason to buy a 911 versus a Corvette is image. It's for poseurs.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
 
Crimson92's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

Posts: 28,610
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Lets be honest. The new Corvette is a better car than the 911.

The only reason to buy a 911 versus a Corvette is image. It's for poseurs.
I disagree. But ok. Please elaborate.
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Crimson92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Shouldn't it be GTR vs Corvette Z51?


To be honest I don't think you can fairly compare the two. But I would pick the 911 all day long for me. The Corvette will win track mag numbers all day long but a 911 will be more rewarding to drive and beautiful to look at. Now other people have different views and in no way am I putting down the new Vette which seems awesome.

The 911 is a drivers car with the best steering.

The Corvette is a face tearing track monster that says RWD is hear to stay.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
See5
Real Goon
 
See5's Avatar
 
Drives: Nothing
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Shouldn't it be GTR vs Corvette Z51?


To be honest I don't think you can fairly compare the two. But I would pick the 911 all day long for me. The Corvette will win track mag numbers all day long but a 911 will be more rewarding to drive and beautiful to look at. Now other people have different views and in no way am I putting down the new Vette which seems awesome.

The 911 is a drivers car with the best steering.

The Corvette is a face tearing track monster that says RWD is hear to stay.
No, the GT-R starts in the high 90's and with 550hp it is more of a competitor for the next Z06.

The C7 and 991 both use the exact same ZF steering rack now. I've driven the 991 and while accurate, its not the 911 steering you think it is.

They are both driver's cars. As for which one is more rewarding we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by See5; 07-26-2013 at 09:31 PM.
See5 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,597
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Lets be honest. The new Corvette is a better car than the 911.

The only reason to buy a 911 versus a Corvette is image. It's for poseurs.
I disagree. But ok. Please elaborate.
In a sports car I value speed above most things, especially cornering speed. This car seems to have white space above the 911 in that regard.

Also remember the review is the base model. For 911s money you will get a loaded Z06 which will really deliver a lot more performance.

There may be reasons to buy a 911 over a Corvette, but on the race track as well as on the street those reasons will mean falling behind the Vette's taillights.

Also this car is much more rounded than its predecessor. It excels on many dimensions including material quality, build quality, fit and finish, comfort, as well as the expected dimensions of speed and handling as this review highlights.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-road-test-review
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #7
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
They are both driver's cars. As for which one is more rewarding we'll just have to wait and see.
Exactly. No one on this forum has driven a C7. So how the hell do you know if the 991 has better steering.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post
No, the GT-R starts in the high 90's and with 550hp it is more of a competitor for the next Z06.

The C7 and 991 both use the exact same ZF steering rack now. I've driven the 991 and while accurate, its not the 911 steering you think it is.

They are both driver's cars. As for which one is more rewarding we'll just have to wait and see.
I don't understand the power or price comment as the same can be said for the 991 and Corvette.

The Stingray and the GTR are very simular and if you look at the laptimes at VIR grand course they are within 2 seconds of each other. The GTR is faster in a straight line but the Corvette pulls more lateral G's.

They may use the same steering rack but the Porsche seems to have the best programming for it.

I have not drove both cars yet but next month I will be tracking the new 911 and the C7 shortly after so I will be more informed to comment on both.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #9
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Exactly. No one on this forum has driven a C7. So how the hell do you know if the 991 has better steering.
I agree but this whole thread is about maybes. The comment was based off of reviews. Historically since the C6 the Corvette has been the track winner and the 911 the more rewarding car to drive.
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
F1Venom
Captain
 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 648
iTrader: (0)

If money were no object, I'd get the 991S. But since the Porsche costs exactly twice as much as the base C7, I'd say the Vette takes the cake.
F1Venom is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 12:55 AM   #11
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,203
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I agree but this whole thread is about maybes. The comment was based off of reviews. Historically since the C6 the Corvette has been the track winner and the 911 the more rewarding car to drive.
Based off reviews I have read, the C7 is a lot easier to drive at the limit than previous gen. Looking forward to getting behind the wheel of one. I know the 991 has had some knocks on steering feel/feedback with the new electric unit. The GT3 has some new programming that people are raving about.
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
Robert
Major General
 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

Posts: 6,890
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Lets be honest. The new Corvette is a better car than the 911.

The only reason to buy a 911 versus a Corvette is image. It's for poseurs.
Not sure if I follow the logic, your judgement on a car is by type of people driving it and not it's merits? What does that say about you (Kidding of course but that logic is flawed)
__________________
- There's nothing in my pocket other than knives and lint
Robert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 02:22 AM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander ///
 
stealth.pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 M5 Individual
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South East USA

Posts: 4,597
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not sure if I follow the logic, your judgement on a car is by type of people driving it and not it's merits? What does that say about you (Kidding of course but that logic is flawed)
I think you missed the point of what I was saying. That is not what I was saying. Read the following post where I elaborate.
__________________
2014 ///M5 Individual Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance plus, LED Pkg, Bang and Olufsen, 20" 343M Forged Alloy Wheels
Countermeasures: Bel StiR+, Laser Interceptor Quad HP, Zaon MRX
Upgrades: Eisenmann Sport with M Performance Carbon tips, Dinan anti-roll bars
stealth.pilot is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
jordantii
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
I don't understand the power or price comment as the same can be said for the 991 and Corvette.

The Stingray and the GTR are very simular and if you look at the laptimes at VIR grand course they are within 2 seconds of each other. The GTR is faster in a straight line but the Corvette pulls more lateral G's.

They may use the same steering rack but the Porsche seems to have the best programming for it.

I have not drove both cars yet but next month I will be tracking the new 911 and the C7 shortly after so I will be more informed to comment on both.
2 seconds is a lot. As in not comparable.
jordantii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #15
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
2 seconds is a lot. As in not comparable.
Ok then the new Corvette is faster then the GTR by a lot. Happy lol
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
jordantii
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Tampa Bay

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildbright View Post
Ok then the new Corvette is faster then the GTR by a lot. Happy lol
Happy? Not really. I was just pointing out that 2 seconds is a lot even on a 4.2 mile course. In 10 laps that would be 20 seconds. If you break it down to say a 1 mile course that would be .5 seconds and that is a lot on a 1 mile course. So lap time to lap time they don't compare. But who buys a car based on lap time?

I have no dog in this fight. I actually admire all the cars mentioned. And have always thought that the Vette has been a great bang for the buck car. Just not for me. But now??? Who knows.
jordantii is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
F32
Banned
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SF

Posts: 688
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Happy? Not really. I was just pointing out that 2 seconds is a lot even on a 4.2 mile course. In 10 laps that would be 20 seconds. If you break it down to say a 1 mile course that would be .5 seconds and that is a lot on a 1 mile course. So lap time to lap time they don't compare. But who buys a car based on lap time?

I have no dog in this fight. I actually admire all the cars mentioned. And have always thought that the Vette has been a great bang for the buck car. Just not for me. But now??? Who knows.
Thank you.

People really underestimate or have no real sense of how significant one second is on a track. To put it into perspective, a track's start/finish is at the big end of a straight, more often than not, and cars of this caliber exceed speeds of 140 MPH on an average track. At 140 MPH, any 6th grader who wasn't asleep during the physics chapter in science class can tell you that you will cover well over a football field in 2 seconds. More like 410 feet. That's A LOT.

To put more perspective on it...there are several tracks where late model Corvettes have a 6 to 10 second advantage over GT3 Porsches. LOL.
F32 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
SunnyD
Lieutenant
 
SunnyD's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Lexus ISF
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA

Posts: 433
iTrader: (0)

That was with 7MT...let's see the comparo with PDK
__________________
2011 Lexus IS F - OB/Black

2009 AW/Blk 135 6MT - Gone
2006 ///M5 - Gone
2007 ///M Coupe - Gone
SunnyD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
CirrusSR22
Captain
 
Drives: E36 318ti, R50 MINI
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 874
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
That was with 7MT...let's see the comparo with PDK
It's in the link, you must have missed it. The 991S w/PDK accelerates faster than the manual C7. But according to Automobile Magazine the automatic C7 accelerates faster than the 7 speed manual, so they are probably about equal when both equipped with "automatics". The manual C7 still stops shorter, slaloms faster and pulls more lateral G's than the PDK Porsche.

Not sure why Edmunds didn't test an auto C7 - looks like most (all?) magazines didn't. Chevrolet must not have had them at the press day all the magazines were at.
CirrusSR22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
M3_WC
Colonel
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CA

Posts: 2,203
iTrader: (0)

Is there is rumors that GM is working on a dual clutch?
M3_WC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #21
buildbright
Captain
 
buildbright's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i BMW F30 Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa, FL

Posts: 907
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordantii View Post
Happy? Not really. I was just pointing out that 2 seconds is a lot even on a 4.2 mile course. In 10 laps that would be 20 seconds. If you break it down to say a 1 mile course that would be .5 seconds and that is a lot on a 1 mile course. So lap time to lap time they don't compare. But who buys a car based on lap time?
I don't think you get my point. Who buys cars based on laptimes? People who buy GTR's
buildbright is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #22
track_warrior
Captain
 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 638
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Lets be honest. The new Corvette is a better car than the 911.

The only reason to buy a 911 versus a Corvette is image. It's for poseurs.
On paper and price yeah it might be better, go drive a porsche and even though it might be slower and more expensive it will bring you more driving pleasure. If you have the money get the porsche if you dont get the vette and you wont be disappointed its a great car.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l 2012 VW Golf Tdi l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST