E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Retrofit CIC Combox to E9x with standard Radio professional HU

07-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Retrofit CIC Combox to E9x with standard Radio professional HU

**EDIT: Stage 2 photos included in this post and FAQs added.**

STAGE 1
I have retrofitted CIC + combox on my car and after that few members showed interest in retrofitting CIC into the cars which came with standard radio or with CCC.

Jammy contacted me to retrofit CIC into his car (as I was selling a unit in the classified section). I was planning to sell it to somebody who already had CCC so less hassle involved. Jammy was determined that he wanted it, so we planned a day for installation.

After going through the extensive list of parts, checking, cross referencing, he placed the order for the remaining parts.

On the installation day, Jammy was with me at 10:30 am and we started the work. He tried his best to help me which reduced the total time of installation.
I took my time as I wanted a decent job and checked / double checked the things. Jammy had to be patient while I was working on his car. Finally, we were finished by 5:30 pm.
AFAIK, everything worked flawlessly on his car.

CIC installation photos:

In terms of final cost, I am sure Jammy will be able to comment on this.

Stay tuned as stag 2 is coming with combox installation.

STAGE 2
Combox installation photos

Pre-Install

Combox install

Previous version of combox firmware:

Latest version of combox firmware:

6FL

6NF

Messages activated

BMW services

BMW internet

Our beloved forum

BMW live

BMW news under BMW live

BMW panoramio under BMW live

Google street view under BMW live

BMW application under BMW live

I will update the photos of 6NR later.

FAQs here.

1- Why should I fit combox?

There are multiple reasons to have one. To start with, it gives you the ability to listen to your music just via standard apple cable (6FL).
It also gives you the album art.
It gives you ability to have internet on your car.
You can stream your music via bluetooth.
You can have BMW applications (6NR). Examples are face book, tweeter and some other applications.
You can listen to internet radio. You'll need to tether the data packet / internet through your network provider.

2- What should I choose? 6FL, 6NF, 6NR?

With combox you will get 6NF automatically (ability to stream the music) with coding.

For 6FL, you will need to buy additional USB fakra cable (£50) and USB + aux in socket if you do not have one already fitted on your car.
And coding for it.

For 6NR application, it can work on 6FL usb hub and additional coding required with correct software on your CIC. If your CIC has a latest software, then it requires FSC code insertion by the dealer.

For 6NR video, You will need to buy additional USB fakra cable, and USB + aux in (switchable b.w audio / video), Y cable which can support audio and video), Video signals cable, Aux signals carrier cable.

6FL + 6NF is must with this retrofit. And with coding you can enable the 6NR for bmw application.

However 6NR video capability is for those who want to have the video from your iphone on the CIC screen.

3- What is connected drive?

The BMW Connected App features can be actively used in BMW vehicles equipped with special option code “6NR”, which will be available from March 2011.

BMW ConnectedDrive features innovative services for increased safety, comfort and infotainment in your BMW. For example with BMW Connected, the revolution of in-car infotainment.

Experience the possibilities of using a BMW certified iPhone application in the vehicle without any restrictions in operating comfort. Individual functions are controlled intuitively using the iDrive system of your BMW.

The BMW Connected App provides a new, unique way of connecting driver, vehicle and iPhone.
Along with your BMW and the special option feature "Apps", it opens up a completely new world. You simply connect the iPhone to the USB socket or SnapIn adaptor of your BMW and the app functions are available for you to use via the iDrive controller, the display and the car's audio system.
You can also use selected functions outside the vehicle - so you have BMW Connected with you at your fingertips wherever you go.

Functions:

Web radio (usage possible while the iPhone is connected to the vehicle and also outside of the vehicle):
Experience the fascination of being able to receive and listen to countless internet radio stations from all over the world. Different search functions such as by genre, country or top stations make it easy to find your favourites.

Twitter / Facebook (usage possible only while the iPhone is connected to the vehicle):
The latest status updates from the community are displayed in the vehicle. In this way you stay networked all the time, wherever you happen to be. What is more, you can send pre-defined texts relating to current vehicle information during travel.

The technical requirements for using BMW Connected in a BMW are as follows:
Navigation system professional with integrated Bluetooth mobile phone preparation, USB interface and the special option “Apps” (6NR), which will be available from 03/2011 for nearly all BMW models.

Limited functionality is possible in the case of insufficient data transfer bandwidth and volume-based bandwidth limitations. Selected functions are based on service provisioning by third-party operators and may not be fully available at all times. Within this context it is necessary to note the specific requirements of these providers.
A broadband connection is required; any costs incurred through this type of connection (e.g. due to roaming) are part of the customer's contract with the network operator. Please note specific national demands and requirements.
For this reason, BMW cannot provide any guarantee for unlimited compatibility and functionality of your mobile device in connection with the vehicle interface.
Additional BMW Connected App functions will be released shortly. Application updates, if available, can be obtained free of additional charge. Extensions may be subject to further charges. Subject to change without notice at any time.
For information on mobile device compatibility and further details, please visit www.bmw.com/connectivity.

4- I have TCU/ Mulf/ Mulf 2/ Mulf high. Can I replace those with combox?

Yes, you can with correct hardware and software.

5- I have BMW assist. Will I be able to retain the BMW assist with this retrofit?

No, your beloved dealer does not allow to transfer your bmw assist account to a different IMEI (of combox).

6- Can I send a link of google maps to my car? Or can I find my car with BMW application?

Unfortunately, not. Since you are using your mobile phone to tether the internet and not via combox IMEI, therefore it is not possible.

7- Can I get it fitted in my car if I do not have bluetooth? I do not have any module in the boot?

Yes, it can be fitted with the correct kit. Though combox will be fitted at the front of the car to save the cost.
So you will have phone + combox options.

8- How do I know if I have a combox or something else?

Check the photos in the first post and it clearly shows you the combox. Check it in your car. And if cannot be bothered to check in your car, then go through the specs of your car and it should clearly states that you have a combox.

9- I already have a combox. Can I retrofit 6FL, and other options?

Yes, you can.
I had a car where the owner bought official 6FL kit (£275) from the dealer and I fitted it.
You do not require that kit as with appropriate software, you can have 6FL just by adding
-usb / aux in socket
-a cable
-coding

10- My car is late 2008- early 2009. I do not have 7 digits postcode search / insertion. Can I retrofit this?

Yes, you can. However you will have to get the firmware on your CIC updated.
If you go to your beloved dealer / indy, they will update it to the latest firmware, which require insertion of FSC code for 6NR. FSC code is not cheap and is in excess of £200.
You will require your CIC updated to specific firmware. You can go through the thread 'coders in UK' or simply ask me.

11- Can you update the maps while you flash my CIC?

Yes, I can provide FSC codes for map update (not for 6NR) and update your maps if your car is already with me.

I hope it helps others.

Last edited by makkan00; 09-26-2015 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Shere
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i SE Auto (2007)

That second pic

I think I would have collapsed seeing my car like that!

Brave guys, looks like a clean finish though!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #3
blues n twos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 DCT coupe

That's a great job there Sam

Thankfully my CIC was not as difficult

I bet Jammy is cuffed to bits.

Jon
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
AWBimmer
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI | E63 M6 V10

Nice work!
      07-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

Very nice job!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Excellent retrofit, scary second picture, that's a brown corduroy job

Am in awe at Sam's skills

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:27 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers guys for the comments.
Will update it when combox is in.
      07-29-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Looks great
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

Good work! When i bought my car i wasnt bothered about idrive because i didnt like the interface on my parents 5 and 7 series. Infact i was actually looking for a car without it because i found the interface so annoying. But looking at the controller it looks like that could be a big improvement. Can anyone comment if the newer version ia actually easy to use?

Maybe jammy can say how much the extra parts cost in total. Have seen the systems on ebay a few times but was never really bothered before now.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Monumental install makkan and not for the faint hearted, I've seen this done where I work and to be honest I am I awe of the work that goes I to carrying out these retro fits.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by imygaf View Post
Good work! When i bought my car i wasnt bothered about idrive because i didnt like the interface on my parents 5 and 7 series. Infact i was actually looking for a car without it because i found the interface so annoying. But looking at the controller it looks like that could be a big improvement. Can anyone comment if the newer version ia actually easy to use?

Maybe jammy can say how much the extra parts cost in total. Have seen the systems on ebay a few times but was never really bothered before now.
The CIC and CCC are chalk & cheese. The old CCC is a proper pain in the arse but the new version is much, much better. Graphics on the latest versions are really good too.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Danny.B.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

holy shitballs! I need this in my life. well done Sam thats awesome
      07-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
jammy78
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 335D

Yes, Sam did a fantastic job !

I've been wanting to do this since I got the car but was more concerned about the installer - who are you going to trust to take apart your pride & joy!? I've met Sam a couple of times for coding issues, so know 1st hand the guy is the retrofit master!

So when this opportunity came along - he was the only person I would let attempt this install.... & he repaid my confidence by completing this ultimate retrofit! Friends that have seen it, think its a factory install!!

The CIC is fully coded to my car - so I have all the car info/settings:

I haven't been able to up load music yet - not had time, but I've played with nearly everything else!

It was a long day but not that I cared as it was worth it!

With regards to the cost - you have:

CIC, screen, controller + install = speak to Sam
All the other parts needed will cost around £400, depending how good you are at finding a bargain!

Would I recommend this install...... HELL YEAH!

I can't wait for the combox install...... then the my car modding is finished!

Cheers Sam

Ps.... after a week since the install.... NOT ONE RATTLE behind the dash!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #14
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Great skills on show there-very impressed!I can seriously see me knocking on your door to upgrade my ccc.
Don't ask for any help though,but I can make a cuppa!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #15
dreamonn
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina D3BT

Very nice. I retrofitted Comand to my previous Merc, but it wasn't as invasive a procedure as this!!

Is the combox parts of a standard CIC install or is it optional? If it's optional, what does it give you over not fitting it?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
imygaf
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy78 View Post

With regards to the cost - you have:

CIC, screen, controller + install = speak to Sam
All the other parts needed will cost around £400, depending how good you are at finding a bargain!

I take it then in total i would expect to pay the best part of £1500. Am i about right? I have seen the CIC, screen and controller for sale previously at about £550-£700.

Does the original airbag fit the new dash? I just spent £800 on audio upgrade. Now im wondering if my money would have been better spent on this.

Also, how is the audio compared to base non idrive setup?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #17
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys for the complements.

@Jammy cheers for the detailed feedback.

@Billyray911...anytime bud.

@dreamonn....BMW started combox on late 2010 cars and its ultimate solution for media.
It is optional and it can give you
- 6FL connecting your ipod / iphone with standard usb cable
- 6NF ability to stream the music over the bluetooth
- 6NR ability to play videos off you iphone / ipod + BMW applications (update Facebook status, tweets, internet radio)
- Bluetooth if you havn't had it.
- BMW internet
- BMW live

@imygaf
I think its around £1200 without combox. And around £1600 with combox.
Original airbag fits into the new dashboard.

Most of the CICs which are sold on flebay got something missing. I saw one the other day where seller was claiming that its was mint condition. In reality, one of the connector tab behind the CIC was broken. Furthermore, the pink connector behind the CIC was missing.

Standard HU VS CCC/ CIC

Standard HU (base stereo) 4X15W
CCC/ CIC (base unit) 4X25W

HTH.

Last edited by makkan00; 08-22-2013 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #18
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Sam hope you're up for doing this for me when my warranty runs out !!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzieboy
Sam hope you're up for doing this for me when my warranty runs out !!
Sure Alan, anytime
      07-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
bungleaio
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pug 208

Awesome stuff, you've got some skills mate.

Can you do a combox install on a car that has factory fit CIC but no bluetooth or usb apart from the one in the glovebox?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #21
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleaio
Awesome stuff, you've got some skills mate.

Can you do a combox install on a car that has factory fit CIC but no bluetooth or usb apart from the one in the glovebox?
Yes.
      07-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #22
J Dub
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 2007 MSport 2.0d

I have the pro radio with BT in my 2007 currently, am I reading right this could be done for about 1200? so idrive, sat nav (as I have BT that too) and maybe usb input? I have not got a clue all about CIC CCC and all that, in lay terms to me its idrive and sat nav